shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you??? Question about selling jewellery

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes. :))

If you had a piece of jewellery that was a bit flawed or damaged, would you post it to sell in that condition? Would you try and have the piece fixed before selling it or inform potential buyers of the condition of the ring and let them decide it they want it to either fix or keep as is if the flaw can easily be hidden or isn`t too noticeable?

Just curious. ;))

Thanks!

Cachette :))

elliemay

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on the extent of the damage. If it was something simple or quickly fixed, like having some scratches buffed out of a setting, I'd have it done before selling it. If it was more major work, like having prongs rebuilt or replacing missing melee, I'd probably point out what needed to be fixed and factor that damage into my asking price.

The cost of the item would figure into it as well. For a $500 ring, I'd sell it as-is. If it were a $15,000 ring, I'd get the repair work done before trying to sell it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It also depends on the style of the piece, your own skills and your marketing plans. Some things are a lot easier to sell than others and some sellers are a lot more skilled than others. If you're selling to a dealer it's usually not worth your money to get the repairs. Let them do it if they want. It's basically the same if you're going to be consigning it. Start with a consultation with the store you're considering and follow their advice on how to best make the piece saleable. If you're planning on retailing it yourself through the likes of ebay or craigslist, use your own good judgement or ask for advice from your appraiser.

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you elliemay and Neil! All good points that I will keep in mind..... :wavey:

Cachette :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results