shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you prefer a 0.5ct Solasfera or 0.7ct Super Ideal H&A?

Solasfera or Super Ideal H&A?

• Solasfera 0.5 D IF

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Super Ideal H&A 0.7 G VS2

Votes: 53 96.4%

• Total voters

MayForever

Rough_Rock
Hi Ladies & Gentlemen!

I know this has been a norm question.

Cut or Carat?

Some said cut is king. Some said the the size outweight the cut?
*assuming both are the best cut for its kind.

I'm thinking if a girl would prefer a maximum size that I can stretch, with the best cut and safest specs G VS2
Or getting a smaller cut but with D IF.
I'm thinking of getting a halo setting, and since she has small fingers ( middle finger us size 4 ), getting too large a stone might not be too good an idea. But ideally, 0.4 to 0.7 just looks fine I believe.

**edited by moderator, no personal video websites please**

Look at the below video and tell me what you think =)

I understand this can be very depending on ones' taste bud but I would like to hear from everyone.
I notice guys always looking at the technical specs like D IF, while girl prefers the tangible stuff like the carar & size.
p/s: I'm not saying all guys prefer the best specs but, imho, girls don't appreciate the paper (certs) more than the guys who've struggling
Looking at the best specific specs ? Or maybe I'm the least one who do? Tell me what you think =)

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you prefer a 0.5ct Solasfera or 0.7ct Super Ideal

You won't likely be able to see the difference between D and G unless you have them side by side, and even then it isn't an obvious difference. With IF vs VS2 you won't see a visual difference. You will definitely see the difference in size and you will see a difference between a solasfera and ideal cut stone. If it were me, I would get the larger ideal cut, as I prefer broader flashes as opposed to the splintery look. Then again, if it were me I wouldn't be getting a "superideal" cut either. I would be looking at well cut ideal stones that don't carry the price premium of a superideal.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

pfunk|1432646298|3881220 said:
You won't likely be able to see the difference between D and G unless you have them side by side, and even then it isn't an obvious difference. With IF vs VS2 you won't see a visual difference. You will definitely see the difference in size and you will see a difference between a solasfera and ideal cut stone. If it were me, I would get the larger ideal cut, as I prefer broader flashes as opposed to the splintery look. Then again, if it were me I wouldn't be getting a "superideal" cut either. I would be looking at well cut ideal stones that don't carry the price premium of a superideal.

pfunk, thanks for your reply!

I've noticed the color difference when I see it from the profile view yesterday evening. I went to a couple of b&m store to access the difference and yes, there's slight difference.
But of course, the color remains the same when it's face up. Kind of expected, after months of research and advices from many.
The reason why I'm thinking of downgrading the size mainly due to solasfera. I undestand that carat and cut is always the one the most people thinking of. Which is why I'll love to hear how people comparing this 2.

I know the fact that many will be thinking that putting a high premium on a D IF might not even be a practical idea. But to think that that's the only engagement ring I'll buy. And most probably the next diamond that I'll be spending for her is definitely never a D IF but practically a G S1 eye clean, but a bigger carat, I'm just thinking if how many girl will appreciate that kind of thoughts. Somehow I do not prefer to go beyond 0.7 though, as the additional melees on the halo will looks weird on finger size 4. But since my budget is around 3,500, I guess that's possible to look for a D IF if I were to look for a less than half carat solasfera (that's provided if I can find one).

So come back to my question, will you go for carat with Super Ideal H&A or smaller Solasfera D IF?

Anyone please? :) sincerely appreciate the polling from all PS er

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

I think it's fairly unlikely that a 0.5 carat Solasfera round appears for sale in your market, in your time frame, and in your budget. It's a unicorn. Most Solasferas will be cut for 0.70 carats and above, you can't see all the pinfire when the diamond is too small. And D/IF's command a significant premium.

There is a 0.83 carat D/IF Solasfera at Good Old Gold for $10650.

The 0.75 carat G/SI1 Solasfera at Good Old Gold for $3940 is a better value, and only slightly over budget.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

Also, if your next diamond purchase is going to be a rational choice (an eyeclean G/SI1 in a higher carat size) balancing considerations of budget, size and quality, why isn't this diamond purchase based on the same logic? Why does the engagement diamond have to reflect an irrational pursuit of "perfection"?

MayForever

Rough_Rock

danielxlin|1432653040|3881249 said:
I think it's fairly unlikely that a 0.5 carat Solasfera round appears for sale in your market, in your time frame, and in your budget. It's a unicorn. Most Solasferas will be cut for 0.70 carats and above, you can't see all the pinfire when the diamond is too small. And D/IF's command a significant premium.

The 0.75 carat G/SI1 Solasfera at Good Old Gold for $3940 is a better value, and only slightly over budget.

Hi danielxlin, thanks for your response!

I've actually have a little more time than expected, I might only proposing earliest this Christmas or might even mid of next year. While the question bout D IF, I've indeed found a supplier who got 0.51 D IF and I maange to contact GOG and they say they can put me on waiting list or they can contact Solasfera for custom cut but not sure if they willing to cut IF grade as it might be a risk falling to VVS1

But I'll prefer to know which will you pick than the cost for this moment :)
Anyway, appreciate your kind thought. Thanks danielxlin !

MayForever

Rough_Rock

danielxlin|1432653536|3881256 said:
Also, if your next diamond purchase is going to be a rational choice (an eyeclean G/SI1 in a higher carat size) balancing considerations of budget, size and quality, why isn't this diamond purchase based on the same logic? Why does the engagement diamond have to reflect an irrational pursuit of "perfection"?

Well, I guess is a little more towards the thoughts. Doing something specially once in a lifetime, not too bad though?
There'll be no difference if I would to buy another ring next time for her if I could go for the same rationality.
It might sounds not so practical but that's the best we can do at this point of time?
Part of me thinking that the bigger carat will impress her more, while the other me hoping will give her a really special diamond, a once in a lifetime experience. It's just my thought though.

But still, love to hear from others who shares the experience like me. I trust I'm not the only one who think like this? Anyone? :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My vote is most definitely the .70 ideal cut stone for all the reasons already stated. Trust me the difference in size between the two is more noticeable than any visual difference between D/IF and G/SI1. Don't pay a premium for what you can't see. Your heart is in the right place and it's good to do your research. You won't be sorry with the larger G/SI1 stone. Good luck.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

Bonfire|1432657291|3881276 said:
My vote is most definitely the .70 ideal cut stone for all the reasons already stated. Trust me the difference in size between the two is more noticeable than any visual difference between D/IF and G/SI1. Don't pay a premium for what you can't see. Your heart is in the right place and it's good to do your research. You won't be sorry with the larger G/SI1 stone. Good luck.

Hi Bonfire, thanks for your reply!

It seems many prefer a larger stone. I thought I'll be seeing some who prefer solasfera. The D IF is secondary, but what that's noticeable is the smaller Solasfera or the larger super ideal. I was just wondering if I get a smaller solasfera, will it blow away others bigger carat diamond only lol maybe it just won't happen? Anyway, I'm aware that the diamond might be a little too messy since it's a small diamond :whistle:

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

MayForever|1432654014|3881259 said:

I've actually have a little more time than expected, I might only proposing earliest this Christmas or might even mid of next year. While the question bout D IF, I've indeed found a supplier who got 0.51 D IF and I maange to contact GOG and they say they can put me on waiting list or they can contact Solasfera for custom cut but not sure if they willing to cut IF grade as it might be a risk falling to VVS1

They've got a 0.51 carat D/IF Solasfera for $3500?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I see your logic in going with a D, IF stone to go with a "perfect" rock, but remember these are just grades on a piece of paper. Put your IF stone under stronger magnification and it isn't going to be IF anymore. Every stone has imperfections. If you think she values the thought of a "perfect" stone, then you should go that way. I think MOST women just appreciate knowing that you did your best picking out a stone you thought she would love. Most women also prefer size and other things they can easily see as opposed to knowing there aren't any inclusions that you can see with a loupe. The bigger the stone, the bigger flashes of white light and fire. There is nothing wrong with going for a smaller stone, but well cut larger stones have larger flashes and typically more of a wow factor. I agree that a 0.5 carat Solasfera is going to be less impressive than a 0.7 carat ideal as the pinflashes will be hard to appreciate in a stone that size.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very well said pfunk!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can't think of one female that has come to PS looking for a
D/IF....not one, and I've been here 6 years or so.

However, we help ladies on a weekly bases, if not daily,
wanting to maximize diamond size.

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I think it is very sweet you want to get her a perfect stone. I really do. But when my husband was looking for a ring for me, I told him that all I cared about is that it looked good on my hand. Nobody asks about stats or certificates. So I cared more to have an eye clean, bigger stone.

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock

Pfunk, this is a video for you superideal vs ideal. I am sure you can clearly see the difference.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

danielxlin|1432661184|3881299 said:
MayForever|1432654014|3881259 said:

They've got a 0.51 carat D/IF Solasfera for $3500?

I found one, but was quoted not based in US, but they mentioned they do ship internationally. They do provide the GIA number, but I've not seen the idealscope & ASET view though. I'm not too sure if the qualities for Solasfera varies thoughl

MayForever

Rough_Rock

pfunk|1432662295|3881320 said:
I see your logic in going with a D, IF stone to go with a "perfect" rock, but remember these are just grades on a piece of paper. Put your IF stone under stronger magnification and it isn't going to be IF anymore. Every stone has imperfections. If you think she values the thought of a "perfect" stone, then you should go that way. I think MOST women just appreciate knowing that you did your best picking out a stone you thought she would love. Most women also prefer size and other things they can easily see as opposed to knowing there aren't any inclusions that you can see with a loupe. The bigger the stone, the bigger flashes of white light and fire. There is nothing wrong with going for a smaller stone, but well cut larger stones have larger flashes and typically more of a wow factor. I agree that a 0.5 carat Solasfera is going to be less impressive than a 0.7 carat ideal as the pinflashes will be hard to appreciate in a stone that size.

pfunk, well said! My heart tells me that a girl ( that includes her ) loves the carat more but my mind tells me that I want to have a perfect stone for her :confused:

It just that sometimes when girl mentioned that "her smaller rock with a super ideal cut blows away my larger rock" makes me have a 2nd thought on the Solasfera. Anyway, thanks for you clarification, pfunk. I guess conventional Super Ideal should be the way to go.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1432670715|3881397 said:
I can't think of one female that has come to PS looking for a
D/IF....not one, and I've been here 6 years or so.

However, we help ladies on a weekly bases, if not daily,
wanting to maximize diamond size.

lol !! That's the thing, tyty333!

I kind of notice that only guys who seek help and ask for D IF for a proposal ring and I don't normally see a girl looking for a perfect D IF with a smaller carat though. I just hoping to see if there's any ladies who thinks differently. Or at least a solasfera wearer who tells me that she's more than impress with the "maximum light return" Solasfera.

Perhaps I should brainwash myself on the perfect D IF thoughts. Ultimately, is what the GIRLS wants, not me though :whistle:

MayForever

Rough_Rock

unsettled|1432672271|3881412 said:
I think it is very sweet you want to get her a perfect stone. I really do. But when my husband was looking for a ring for me, I told him that all I cared about is that it looked good on my hand. Nobody asks about stats or certificates. So I cared more to have an eye clean, bigger stone.

Hi unsettled, thanks for your thoughts!

Your husband is lucky that you tell him what you want. The problem is my girlfriend said she don't know, though I tried to ask her :wall:
She has seen scintillation and she loves that. I not too sure how well a solasfera performed comparing to a super ideal H&A, but it makes me wonder if that might works.

Size wise, to have a halo setting on 0.5 and 0.7 might not makes a huge difference I guess. But good thoughts though. I see most still prefer the carat than the Solasfera.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

MayForever|1432682901|3881479 said:

Your husband is lucky that you tell him what you want. The problem is my girlfriend said she don't know, though I tried to ask her :wall:
She has seen scintillation and she loves that. I not too sure how well a solasfera performed comparing to a super ideal H&A, but it makes me wonder if that might works.

Size wise, to have a halo setting on 0.5 and 0.7 might not makes a huge difference I guess. But good thoughts though. I see most still prefer the carat than the Solasfera.

Good to remember that the Solasfera is a flavor of cut - it does not necessarily mean the cut is better than an Ideal/SuperIdeal.

Some (including myself) would take the Ideal/SuperIdeal vs. the Solasfera, even if both were .5ct. If the recipient didn't express a strong preference, I'd go with the .7ct and call it a day.

Just another take!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

egemnoel|1432676553|3881446 said:

Pfunk, this is a video for you superideal vs ideal. I am sure you can clearly see the difference.

This video and another from the same place were linked in an earlier discussion of ideal vs superideal and it was mentioned that the ideal stone likely had a dirty pavilion. I also question how the lighting is set up in the Jann Paul videos. Furthermore, the angles, ASET, and hearts images of that stone are not exactly in line with what I am referring to as a "well cut ideal".

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock

Solasferas are not better than super ideals. They look different. Not quite apples and oranges, more like Granny Smith apples versus Golden Delicious. Some people prefer one or the other, though my analogy breaks down a bit because Solasferas are a lot less popular than the standard round brilliant cut. I personally don't like Solasferas, and especially dislike them in smaller sizes. If your girlfriend is not into diamonds and has not expressed an interest in Solasferas, a super ideal is a safer choice.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

egemnoel|1432676553|3881446 said:

egemnoel, thanks for sharing the video!

The ideal cut shown is definitely with a leakage. But if were to compare a super ideal cut, I believe the light return should be not lesser than that. I've seen before Rhino from GOG shown 3 diamonds in a video, 2 with super ideal H&A and solasfera. One of the super ideal H&A is comparable to the Solasfera though.

But one thing that I notice when I went to all the B&M store. I noticed that somehow our eyes don't interpret like how the video lens shows. I try comparing the super ideal diamond, mostly lesser than a carat in their spotlight condition and it's really difficult to see the arrow like how we see it in those video. But I might be wrong though.

What I'm trying to say is, the difference might not be significance comparing to solasfera, super ideal or ideal cut when we see it with our human eyes. Or even if it might, it's probably a slight difference? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a newbie though.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

RockyRacoon|1432683083|3881481 said:
MayForever|1432682901|3881479 said:

Good to remember that the Solasfera is a flavor of cut - it does not necessarily mean the cut is better than an Ideal/SuperIdeal.

Some (including myself) would take the Ideal/SuperIdeal vs. the Solasfera, even if both were .5ct. If the recipient didn't express a strong preference, I'd go with the .7ct and call it a day.

Just another take!

Thanks RockyRacoon! As I been hearing that Solasfera are able to exhibit maximum light return, which is why I take into consideration that it might be more brilliant than the Super Ideal. I can't really tells as I've yet to have a change to compare it side by side though. Although the video shows a different fire & scintillation but when I was at some of the B&M, it's somehow a little difficult to distinguish the arrow like how it shown in the video. But of course, I did notice some are more brilliant than another in terms of light return.

Maybe you're right, picking up the 0.7 ct will be a safer bet though. Thanks for your thought!

MayForever

Rough_Rock

urseberry|1432686271|3881504 said:
Solasferas are not better than super ideals. They look different. Not quite apples and oranges, more like Granny Smith apples versus Golden Delicious. Some people prefer one or the other, though my analogy breaks down a bit because Solasferas are a lot less popular than the standard round brilliant cut. I personally don't like Solasferas, and especially dislike them in smaller sizes. If your girlfriend is not into diamonds and has not expressed an interest in Solasferas, a super ideal is a safer choice.

Thank you urseberry!

I somehow noticed that Solasfera wasn't as popular as the super ideal H&A among PSer though in some other blogs I've seen some still prefer Solasfera over Super Ideal. I think that's more a personal preference. But thank you for your feedback. At least I know girls generally prefers carat over perfect D IF and solasfera might not necessarily be better than Super Ideal.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

MayForever|1432687644|3881514 said:
But one thing that I notice when I went to all the B&M store. I noticed that somehow our eyes don't interpret like how the video lens shows. I try comparing the super ideal diamond, mostly lesser than a carat in their spotlight condition and it's really difficult to see the arrow like how we see it in those video. But I might be wrong though.

It's very important to realize that online we're viewing these stones at some sort of magnification. Thus inclusions or patterning are far more visible. But when viewed with the naked eye at a distance of 1-2" you can't see much difference. Scintillation, brightness or fire are more easily seen and well cut stones perform better.

Also you're comparing two super ideal cuts. The difference is in their patterning which at the size you're going for will be very difficult to see when viewed under normal circumstances. There may be slight differences in quality of fire or scintillation but either cut should display ample amounts of it.

Since you're adding a halo it will likely hide the side view so color won't matter as much. And I've already discussed not being able to see inclusions in the IF-VS2 and even SI1 ranges.

And I originally want an IF D or E ring but after seeing some H VS1 and even some H vs2 I was willing to sacrifice that for carat/size. Being here cut became the most important as I liked the symmetric geo patterns. But seeing them at the 1ct size in real life the patterning is very hard for me to view so I could settle for a ideal or near ideal cut that lacks heart and arrows patterning but still has good light performance. It's all about finding a balance of qualities that suit your tastes and even just finding out what you want or like.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

solgen|1432700873|3881623 said:
MayForever|1432687644|3881514 said:

It's very important to realize that online we're viewing these stones at some sort of magnification. Thus inclusions or patterning are far more visible. But when viewed with the naked eye at a distance of 1-2" you can't see much difference. Scintillation, brightness or fire are more easily seen and well cut stones perform better.

Also you're comparing two super ideal cuts. The difference is in their patterning which at the size you're going for will be very difficult to see when viewed under normal circumstances. There may be slight differences in quality of fire or scintillation but either cut should display ample amounts of it.

Since you're adding a halo it will likely hide the side view so color won't matter as much. And I've already discussed not being able to see inclusions in the IF-VS2 and even SI1 ranges.

And I originally want an IF D or E ring but after seeing some H VS1 and even some H vs2 I was willing to sacrifice that for carat/size. Being here cut became the most important as I liked the symmetric geo patterns. But seeing them at the 1ct size in real life the patterning is very hard for me to view so I could settle for a ideal or near ideal cut that lacks heart and arrows patterning but still has good light performance. It's all about finding a balance of qualities that suit your tastes and even just finding out what you want or like.

Thanks for your reply solgen.

My thoughts after a couple months of research leads me to decide to get a G VS2 Super ideal cut. I do heard that solasfera is preferred unless the the size is like more than 1.5 carat maybe?

But suddenly looking at some video makes me wonder how good is good for the solasfera. I remember they were mentioning bout no leakage for the light return. The video that i posted up above also shows that solasfera slightly better. But maybe like what you've mentioned, the size is too small to be seen. Thanks for enlighten me.

D IF is really kind of mind thingy. It's not visible but just the feeling of owning it. I guess it's just like buying a Tiffany & co. No one will knows unless you're telling it. And who knows, it's kind of normal thingy that some people might be proud of? There might be some extra premium involves but I just hope of getting something that she will be happy for. It's a little personal, that's why I put a poll and we see how people response towards solasfera.

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock

I thought the same as you until I was educated by the Pricescope forum and saved myself a lot of $$$. I also bought my diamond without seeing it as I had complete confidence in the vendor supplying the diamond. You cant go wrong with either of these three stones. In a few years time if you feel the need to upgrade to a larger stone the same vendor will offer you a lifetime trade up and credit you 100% of your original purchase price.

These stones are cut to perfection and not too far off your budget. My wife was delighted with an 1ct E VVS2.

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD6923/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7459/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD6894/?shop=yes

The F VS1 side by side a D IF, even the diamond experts would struggle to see the difference without their toys.

Good luck :angel:

cheucklate

Rough_Rock

I have a 1ct solasfera and even with that size, it is very hard for me to see the symmetry. specifically the distinct 10 arrows. General consensus for many is if you want solasfera, it would have to be 1.5+ to look more attractive. .5ct is very small to appreciate the real beauty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results