shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you mind buying a stone that someone else..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
traded in for an upgrade? IYO...Should these trade in stones be priced the same as a newly cut stone of the same 4Cs?

Johannes89

Rough_Rock
generally i wouldnt mind, especially if it is discounted due to the fact that its preloved.
weather or not it should be priced same as newly cut stones, i think they should be discounted a tiny but since they arent "new" in a sense but still they do not wear away or anything so they are technically same as new. Also i think most ppl would rather purchase a newly cut stone compared to a preloved one if the price is the same.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, it depends on several factors ... condition/quality and if it's a private sale or from a retailer who has overhead to cover. I kinda look at it like buying a car. Why would I pay the same price (from a retailer or private seller) for a "preloved" 2014 with 1500 miles when there is an identical "brand new" 2014 car that was not owned, and it is the same price? No brainer, especially when I have to pay tax on it either way. (this was an actual situation I was in just last year from a car dealer; I bought the "real" new car).

If the owner is selling their preloved diamond privately, I wouldn't imagine it to be for sale at the same price point as what GOG, BGD, or WF is selling a like diamond for. If it is the same price, no I wouldn't buy it from them when I get no guarantee or service as I would buying "retail". Again, no brainer for me.

If it is privately sold AND priced at a discount that allows me to get the diamond for an amount that makes forgoing the retail service for a like stone worthwhile, yes, I would consider buying it privately then.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're talking about just about every diamond in the world. Only a small fraction of them are newly cut: many others have been bought, sold back, recut, re polished, recerted, you name it. Trying to force dealers to lose value on them would hamstring them to the point that the only sensible thing for them to do would be to stop doing trade ins or buy outs and just buy people's stones at a dead loss as dealers have been doing since time immemorial. So, yeah, out of necessity? Toooootally fine with it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1415015224|3776677 said:
You're talking about just about every diamond in the world. Only a small fraction of them are newly cut: many others have been bought, sold back, recut, re polished, recerted, you name it. Trying to force dealers to lose value on them would hamstring them to the point that the only sensible thing for them to do would be to stop doing trade ins or buy outs and just buy people's stones at a dead loss as dealers have been doing since time immemorial. So, yeah, out of necessity? Toooootally fine with it.

Good point Circe! I would imagine a retailer would put some effort (cost/care) into polishing the stone if it was needed. It really wouldn't be like a car, where you don't know if it was "ridden hard". I would think a diamond that was not cared for would show signs of such, and a retailer would have to put resources into making it look good again. But if they didn't, and it has a "defect" of some sort, I can't see it being priced even by a retailer as one that is without defect.

Then again, it wouldn't be a "comparable" stone because the grading would be different I think ... so I guess my position is really the same as yours (assuming a retail sale).

I am going to refill my coffee now and come back with a more awake brain. :D

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1415014781|3776675 said:
IMO, it depends on several factors ... condition/quality and if it's a private sale or from a retailer who has overhead to cover. I kinda look at it like buying a car. Why would I pay the same price (from a retailer or private seller) for a "preloved" 2014 with 1500 miles when there is an identical "brand new" 2014 car that was not owned, and it is the same price? No brainer, especially when I have to pay tax on it either way. (this was an actual situation I was in just last year from a car dealer; I bought the "real" new car).

If the owner is selling their preloved diamond privately, I wouldn't imagine it to be for sale at the same price point as what GOG, BGD, or WF is selling a like diamond for. If it is the same price, no I wouldn't buy it from them when I get no guarantee or service as I would buying "retail". Again, no brainer for me.

If it is privately sold AND priced at a discount that allows me to get the diamond for an amount that makes forgoing the retail service for a like stone worthwhile, yes, I would consider buying it privately then.

i dont agree with the used car analogy.
value of a car decreases overtime, if a 2014 car is unsold and just sits in the dealer's lot with no mileage on it, it will still be worse less in the future than it does in the current year.
value of a diamond will not decrease just because the retailer couldnt sell it right away.
y not compare it to a house? any re-cuts, re-polishes can be considered renovations/upgrades, and old houses aren't necessarily cheaper than new houses.

unless the diamond deteriorates overtime its "value" should hold (ignoring all other factors, i.e. time value of money).

i'm sure most vendors will have a "sale" on old inventory, and it will mostly be because they want to replenish their inventory with new stuff and not because the diamond itself is worth less.

if someone trades in a diamond, they are likely to trade in the setting it's currently set in, so if you're buying a new set you're likely to get a big discount on the setting as settings don't hold the same value as diamonds.

just my thoughts.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely no problem buying a used diamond for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Less than zero issue with it.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, as long as it's what I want, it's a case of their loss my gain!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preloved rules, especially when it is a bargain price. :lol:

J_Green

Rough_Rock
Trade
A Diamond is forever.
As long as it is priced well and is the item you are looking for, there is no problem buying a used diamond.
Keep in mind that a diamond even when bought New, has probably been owned by at least 4 people.
1. As rough by the mine
2. Traded a few times by rough diamond buyers.
3. Bought polished by a diamond dealer.
4. Sold to a smaller dealer.
5. Sold in the store....

Etc.......

A diamond will never wear out :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results