shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy this I1 diamond?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I would not buy it personally. Regardless of my budget. I would rather have a small stone without specks and visible inclusions that look really bad to my eye. The fact that it is substantial in size, would make the inclusions more, not less, visible.

but that's me. so...

miaolinwei

Rough_Rock
That's a pretty huge feather at the top portion of the diamond, I wouldn't get it.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
TristanC|1326471477|3102106 said:
I would not buy it personally. Regardless of my budget. I would rather have a small stone without specks and visible inclusions that look really bad to my eye. The fact that it is substantial in size, would make the inclusions more, not less, visible.

but that's me. so...

Yes I agree. And most of the women I know really really look closely at their ering not in
a critical way but because they're excited.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not. I wouldn't even consider I1 for an engagement ring and a good SI2 is hard to find. You even have to be sure that SI1's are eyeclean.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't get an I1 diamond for an ering that your girlfriend will spend a lot of time looking at! Stick to an SI1-SI2 diamond and make sure that it's eyeclean...also, if your girlfriend happens to be shortsighted she may be very good at noticing small details in her diamond even without loupe.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. There is no more closely examined piece of jewelry than the engagement ring. In addition to the feather at top there are dark specks at 1-2 and 7 oclock in the table area. Those are noticeable.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for an engagement ring I wouldn't. I might consider one for a pendant or earrings, but I would have to see the stone in person first.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not surprisingly, when I received an engagement ring I became a master with a loupe. And looked at the stone from every angle. I have a very mixed relationship with my engagement ring, partly because of the eye clean issue. I like my ring for the symbolism, not for the beauty of the stone. If I'm honest, I spent a long time not liking it at all, to the determent of the relationship. DH is a non-upgrader and I think it hurt his feeling that I didn't cherish the pebble that he gave me.

Please get something that your girlfriend will enjoy, if that's an I1 so be it. But for that level of inclusion I would think it best to get her opinion. She'll not only look at it on her own finger, but all her relations and friends will likely spend some amount of time with it less than 4 inches from their faces as well.

You may be surprised at how interested she gets in stones after she has her own on her finger and has more disposal income in the future. It really can tarnish what you think about something, no matter when you find out or notice.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity aside, I am not a fan of the looks of the cut on that cushion either,.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally disagree that I1s are off-limits for e-rings. There are MANY nice ones out there. I wouldn't buy that one, though.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Don't buy an I1 online.
Two of my diamonds are I1. One is in a pendant so you can't see it. the other is in a ring, but the grade making inclusion is a feather that hides in the faceting and you truly can only see it once you know its there and LOOK for it. and the stone is a gorgeous lively stone. But you can't tell this when you are buying something online so I think you should avoid I1 in online buying, especially for an engagement ring--and be very careful with SI2's (and nowadays even some SI1's) to have a reputable vendor telling you they are 'eyeclean'

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Addy|1326492514|3102395 said:
Not surprisingly, when I received an engagement ring I became a master with a loupe. And looked at the stone from every angle. I have a very mixed relationship with my engagement ring, partly because of the eye clean issue. I like my ring for the symbolism, not for the beauty of the stone. If I'm honest, I spent a long time not liking it at all, to the determent of the relationship. DH is a non-upgrader and I think it hurt his feeling that I didn't cherish the pebble that he gave me.

Please get something that your girlfriend will enjoy, if that's an I1 so be it. But for that level of inclusion I would think it best to get her opinion. She'll not only look at it on her own finger, but all her relations and friends will likely spend some amount of time with it less than 4 inches from their faces as well.

You may be surprised at how interested she gets in stones after she has her own on her finger and has more disposal income in the future. It really can tarnish what you think about something, no matter when you find out or notice.

you said it better than I could have! I agrtee with every word of this post. She will stare at it closely days on end when she gets it. The last thing you want is for her to see the inclusions and then obsess over them and let it taint her opinion of the ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only I1 clarity diamonds I would consider for an engagement rings are Infinity cut and screened. Unfortunately Infinity doesn't cut cushions.

I much prefer the three suggestions directly above me to the stone you have picked, and not just because of the clarity. They are nicer in cut as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Addy|1326492514|3102395 said:
Not surprisingly, when I received an engagement ring I became a master with a loupe.

This. I had never used a loupe before. I learned how to use one immediately after I got my ring too.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, I would not consider an I1 for an engagement ring. It's too risky without knowing exactly what she wants. In general, most women would prefer no visible inclusions in an engagement ring stone.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
This does not look like a chunky cushion cut which is the more appealing cut. Go to goodoldgold.com and take a look at his educational videos on cushion cuts. Also watch the ones on color, which are surprising. Cut beats color hands down and is the most important when purchasing a beautiful stone with lots of fire and sparkle.

I don't think that James Allen would have an I1 diamond that is not almost eye clean in house. But you will find a more beautiful cushion on goodoldgold or engagementringsdirect.com...check out their cushion cuts ...here is one below and you can watch it in the video. Both sites specialize in chunky cushion cut diamonds which are very beautiful.
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/1.24-carat-i-vs2-a-cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-64104.html

Since she will be wearing this stone forever...you might want to spring for a better stone. Check these out:

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/1.24-carat-i-vs2-a-cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-64104.html

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8993/

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8992/

Cushion cut brilliants are hard to find (most are modified cushion cuts) but please note the depth and small table on this GIA F SI2
http://buydiamonddirect.com/details/detailGIA.asp?ITEM=35345043
GIA: 1.37c F SI2 Cushion brilliant 6.94x6.48x4.09 D:63 T: 51 $6,244
It faces up like a 2 carat cushion and most likely is a chunky cushion cut with that small table.
You can have jonathan at good old gold order this stone in for you and you can view it on video and compare to his chunky cushions.

I purchased a 2.10 radiant cut diamond from Roni on buydiamonddirect.com ...he has the best prices on any diamond in the diamond search data bases, but finding a chunky cushion is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ariel144|1326537937|3102804 said:
This does not look like a chunky cushion cut which is the more appealing cut.

Very helpful posts but I will just say that chunky cushions aren't neccesarily the more appealing cut. It's just preference - a modern cushion can be more appealing to some.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1326554574|3102877 said:
ariel144|1326537937|3102804 said:
This does not look like a chunky cushion cut which is the more appealing cut.

Very helpful posts but I will just say that chunky cushions aren't neccesarily the more appealing cut. It's just preference - a modern cushion can be more appealing to some.

Case and point, Charmy's Maytal ring with a modern cushion has been pinned like one billion times on pinterest 8)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't get it for an engagement ring.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1326500065|3102484 said:
you said it better than I could have! I agrtee with every word of this post. She will stare at it closely days on end when she gets it. The last thing you want is for her to see the inclusions and then obsess over them and let it taint her opinion of the ring.
While I recognize that many PSers would have their opinion of a diamond "tainted" by an inclusion, I don't think most people feel this way. Among the women I know IRL, size comes before cut or inclusions and sometimes even shape. I don't think the PS ideal is in sync with the average American woman's ideal.

I personally would rather have a stone that's short of perfectly eye-clean but with significantly better finger coverage. OP has to figure out what his girl would rather have.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1326573723|3103034 said:
Amys Bling|1326500065|3102484 said:
While I recognize that many PSers would have their opinion of a diamond "tainted" by an inclusion, I don't think most people feel this way. Among the women I know IRL, size comes before cut or inclusions and sometimes even shape. I don't think the PS ideal is in sync with the average American woman's ideal.

I personally would rather have a stone that's short of perfectly eye-clean but with significantly better finger coverage. OP has to figure out what his girl would rather have.

yes, and I wouldn't buy an I1 as an engagement ring with visible inclusions unless he knew for a fact that she would prefver to have visible inclusions in order to get more in size.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No, I would not. The inclusions just are too obvious to my naked eye...

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results