shape
carat
color
clarity

Would Octavia show less grime?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Step cuts show grime more easily. But the Octavia has more steps and more sparkles. Would it then camouflage grime more than other step cuts? In sizes above 1ct. Thank you.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Best way to avoid grime is to clean the ring every week with a little soak in hot water with a few drops of dish soap, scrub gently with a soft toothbrush (including the pavilion/underside of the center stone!), rinse and dry with a paper towel. Then you can get the cut you love most without sacrificing performance or sparkles!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Octavia has the same number of steps as the classic asscher, just in different proportions.
The answer is yes due to the optimized angles compared to most step cuts.
That said every diamonds sparkle and light return is degraded by grime and they all get dull if it is allowed to build up.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1398351224|3659123 said:
The Octavia has the same number of steps as the classic asscher, just in different proportions.
That said every diamonds sparkle and light return is degraded by grime and they all get dull if it is allowed to build up.

Thanks for responding and the clarification, Karl. :)) I thought Octavia has more steps cos there are more sparkles. :nono:

ericad said:
Best way to avoid grime is to clean the ring every week with a little soak in hot water with a few drops of dish soap, scrub gently with a soft toothbrush (including the pavilion/underside of the center stone!), rinse and dry with a paper towel. Then you can get the cut you love most without sacrificing performance or sparkles!

Thanks for the washing tip, Erica. :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1398351224|3659123 said:
Yup, my wife never clean her diamonds... :rolleyes: :knockout:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1398349053|3659108 said:
Every week? :confused:

I suppose when I've been on PS longer [and therefore have too many diamonds to clean] I'll get over the compulsion to clean mine 5X a day :lol:

BTW... any reason you can think of to get an Octavia is a good one.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Besides being more beautiful when clean, well cut diamonds perform much better under duress. That is, when dirty and/or in low light situations.

Regular cleaning is really important. I recommend using a specialty brush from an art supply store. One with long, fine, yet stiff bristles. They can get to places on your diamond that a toothbrush cannot reach.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1398351923|3659133 said:
I thought Octavia has more steps cos there are more sparkles.

Octavia has such good light performance because the angles of the facets are optimized for superior light performance.

Here's why the angles matter…
Image you are holding a flashlight, and I'm holding a mirror.
When you point the light at the mirror I must hold it at the right angle for the light to reflect back to your eyes.
Now imagine there was two people holding mirrors.
They both would have to hold the mirrors at precise angles with respect to each other for the light to reflect off both mirrors and back to your eyes.
A diamond acts like a complex set of many mirrors controlling the path of light for the best effect, hopefully.
Those mirrors can send the light back to your eyes or let it leak out the bottom or sides.

Multiply this by a zillion and you see the importance of all a diamond's facets being at the best angles.
All the facets on a fine branded cut like Whiteflash's ACAs or the Octavia are cut to precise angles.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1398366067|3659281 said:
Every day not every week..................

My Octavia is cleaned 2 or 3 times a day.
Tension settings make cleaning a breeze.
30 seconds and the diamond is spotless under a 10x loupe.
Isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush.
Blow contaminated alcohol away with canned air, instead of letting the liquid evaporate which would leave the residue as a film on the diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I'll add that after having an Octavia in my life a few years, yes they still do perform surprising well when dirty compared to an ideal-cut round, perhaps because the facets are larger.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1398366285|3659283 said:
motownmama|1398366067|3659281 said:
Every day not every week..................

My Octavia is cleaned 2 or 3 times a day.
Tension settings make cleaning a breeze.
30 seconds and the diamond is spotless under a 10x loupe.
Isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush.
Blow contaminated alcohol away with canned air, instead of letting the liquid evaporate which would leave the residue as a film on the diamond.
Kenny,
Although I don't wear a diamond myself, I am quite a stickler for keeping diamonds clean. It makes such a huge difference, and seems like such a waste, almost rising to the level of a crime, to own a fine diamond and not keep it clean.

I think I am going to adopt you and Jimmianne as my poster children.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1398365989|3659280 said:
I thought Octavia has more steps cos there are more sparkles.

Octavia has such good light performance because the angles of the facets are optimized for superior light performance.

Here's why the angles matter…
Image you are holding a flashlight, and I'm holding a mirror.
When you point the light at the mirror I must hold it at the right angle for the light to reflect back to your eyes.
Now imagine there was two people holding mirrors.
They both would have to hold the mirrors at precise angles with respect to each other for the light to reflect off both mirrors and back to your eyes.
A diamond acts like a complex set of many mirrors controlling the path of light for the best effect, hopefully.
Those mirrors can send the light back to your eyes or let it leak out the bottom or sides.

Multiply this by a zillion and you see the importance of all a diamond's facets being at the best angles.
All the facets on a fine branded cut like Whiteflash's ACAs or the Octavia are cut to precise angles.

Kenny that is an awesome explanation!!!!!
I am going to have to remember to link it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for responding and the clarification, Karl. :)) I thought Octavia has more steps cos there are more sparkles. :nono:
That's ok its a common misconception, it does have more virtual facets but that is because of the high crown and small table creates more mid sized virtual facets than most asschers.
Then I optimized all those mid sized virtual facets to return light to the eye from all the angles I could by controlling the angles and placement of the real facets.
That describes the technical but to me the profile is also a work of art that I love.
Then I greatly admire the precision craftsmanship in the cutting that it takes to make them work. They are the hardest cut to make right Yoram says and he has pretty much cut anything and everything.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl, Kenny, thanks for the education on Octavia. It has been enlightening. :))

Texas Leaguer, you should totally wear a diamond since many men are wearing diamonds these days and especially since you sell them. You can be a walking advertisement for your product. Else, you can send one to me and I can be your walking advertisement :bigsmile: I'm sorry to address you as TL since I don't know what your name is.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jimmianne|1398363096|3659261 said:
ericad|1398349053|3659108 said:
Every week? :confused:

I suppose when I've been on PS longer [and therefore have too many diamonds to clean] I'll get over the compulsion to clean mine 5X a day :lol:

BTW... any reason you can think of to get an Octavia is a good one.

Lol, I clean mine daily, but assume that the OP is a non-freakazoid and didn't want to scare him/her off by suggesting they carry a bottle of Palmolive on their person at all times. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1398366957|3659287 said:
I think I am going to adopt you and Jimmianne as my poster children.

Daddy, you can adopt me but I need to be fed lots of ACAs.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS - most "regular" people rarely clean their rings ever. One of my best friends routinely hand mashes avocados for guacamole, or smashes raw meat for meatloaf, WITH HER RINGS ON. She thinks it's enough to just wash her hands with soap while wearing the rings and call it a day. I've actually had to take a toothpick to the pavilion of her diamond in order to scrape months of food and lotion build up from it because soaking it and scrubbing it didn't do the job. She just laughed and rolled her eyes at me, as if I was the crazy one. :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1398455746|3660021 said:
PS - most "regular" people rarely clean their rings ever. One of my best friends routinely hand mashes avocados for guacamole, or smashes raw meat for meatloaf, WITH HER RINGS ON. She thinks it's enough to just wash her hands with soap while wearing the rings and call it a day. I've actually had to take a toothpick to the pavilion of her diamond in order to scrape months of food and lotion build up from it because soaking it and scrubbing it didn't do the job. She just laughed and rolled her eyes at me, as if I was the crazy one. :o

EWWWW!
Maybe a Water Pik, set to the highest power water jet, would be effective for gunk build up like that.
Wear eye goggles. :knockout:

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
Daddy, you can adopt me but I need to be fed lots of ACAs.
:lol: Kenny - you owe me a keyboard over here! I just sprayed coffee all over everything! :lol:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1398455911|3660022 said:

EWWWW!
Maybe a Water Pik, set to the highest power water jet, would be effective for gunk build up like that.
I recommend Gumout carburator cleaner for cases like that.

Forget about the light performance issue, think about the bacteria she is carrying around. I'd be worried about ebola.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I threw up in my mouth a lOttle.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah - that would gross me out - sorry! Meat?!?
I do agree many people never clean their rings. At the very least I have my hands in the Dawn liquid breakfast/lunch & dinner with this crew and I always rinse well and wipe with a lint free cloth.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Raw Meat Ring Lady ever wake up to roaches munching on her ring?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1398457852|3660044 said:
Does Raw Meat Ring Lady ever wake up to find roaches munching on her ring?

If we were good citizens, we would report Raw Meat Ring Lady to the epidemiologists at the CDC.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Raw Meat Ring Lady is actually Lady Gaga!

screen_shot_2014-04-25_at_0.png

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's true - Gaga and I are besties.

I know, my friend is nasty. She has other qualities which redeem her, but I've threatened to take her ring away if I ever see it in that state again.

The pavilion of her diamond was literally tinged GREEN from the guacamole she had made 10 days prior. :knockout:

Now I just take it upon myself to clean it whenever I see her, which is probably a couple times per month. She still never cleans it with anything more than regular hand washing and showering. I am amazed that she hasn't given her family e coli yet.

I used to work in a jewelry store back in college, and the way my friend wears her ring was the norm. It never occurred to the customers that they should clean their rings - after all, they wear them in the shower and when they wash their hands, so the rings are getting clean, right? We offered free ring cleaning service, so I was constantly scrubbing rings clean for people. I saw (and smelled) things on those rings that would curl your hair. :???:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does RMRL react when you hand it back a clean diamond?

I'm surprised her seeing it clean doesn't convert her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results