shape
carat
color
clarity

Would ideal cut rounds reflect color?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I noticed that my diamond reflects orange when I wear an orange top and blue when I wear blue. Is that normal or is it too shallow or too deep hence the color reflection? Thank you.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416573948|3787846 said:
I noticed that my diamond reflects orange when I wear an orange top and blue when I wear blue. Is that normal or is it too shallow or too deep hence the color reflection? Thank you.

Yes, this is a normal thing. It is This reflection of colors that fuels the ASET and tells us where the light is coming from that is being returned to our eyes.

Of course, with a shirt or sweater, we have no way of knowing at which angle the light is coming from so we can make no guesses as to whether the diamond is cut too deep, too shallow, or just right. It is an interesting phenomon and can be fun to try to capture in photographs.

Wink

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Woofmama, Niel, thanks for the reassurance. :))

Wink, the angles are crown 35, pav 40.8, depth 62 and table 55. Is it slightly deep?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
thecat|1416580188|3787906 said:

Wink, the angles are crown 35, pav 40.8, depth 62 and table 55. Is it slightly deep?
Barely (.2), but the color reflection has nothing to do with that. It would happen regardless.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1416580377|3787907 said:

Barely (.2), but the color reflection has nothing to do with that. It would happen regardless.

Ame, what do you mean by 0.2? With reference to crown or depth? I'm glad to know the color reflection is common but just curious about the 0.2.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
.2 is probably the HCA score. See Tools tab at top of page, then HCA (Holloway Cut Adviser.)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. Not the HCA. I was not at all incorporating that into it.

thecat|1416580888|3787913 said:

Ame, what do you mean by 0.2? With reference to crown or depth? I'm glad to know the color reflection is common but just curious about the 0.2.
The usual ideal range usually cuts depth off at 61.8%, so a 62% would fall barely out of range which is why I said barely too deep, so it was .2 over the range most usually look at. When I am searching for stones, I still set the max at 62 and whittle from there.

Regarding crown angle--most often, "we" are looking for a crown angle that ranges from 34-35 for though most specifically I am aiming for a 34.5. Not everyone does.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1416581419|3787920 said:
No. Not the HCA. I was not at all incorporating that into it.

thecat|1416580888|3787913 said:

The usual ideal range usually cuts depth off at 61.8%, so a 62% would fall barely out of range which is why I said barely too deep, so it was .2 over the range most usually look at. When I am searching for stones, I still set the max at 62 and whittle from there.

Regarding crown angle--most often, "we" are looking for a crown angle that ranges from 34-35 for though most specifically I am aiming for a 34.5. Not everyone does.

Thanks for your explanation, Ame. :))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds return what light is available around them, some better than others.
So it is expected that it would return the color of your clothes if that is what is available in the places it is drawing light from.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416628261|3788350 said:
DS, Karl, thanks for the reassurance. :))
Your welcome.
I normally wear black shirts, have a bunch of them all the same that I wear all the time.
Except when I know I'm going to be looking at diamonds then I wear a bright blue one.
Why?
Because the black shirt gives a different impression of the diamond than someone who does not wear black all the time.
I also use the light reflected off my shirt as past of my assessment to counter the store lights and you cant do that with a black shirt.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1416634106|3788377 said:
thecat|1416628261|3788350 said:
DS, Karl, thanks for the reassurance. :))
Your welcome.
I normally wear black shirts, have a bunch of them all the same that I wear all the time.
Except when I know I'm going to be looking at diamonds then I wear a bright blue one.
Why?
Because the black shirt gives a different impression of the diamond than someone who does not wear black all the time.
I also use the light reflected off my shirt as past of my assessment to counter the store lights and you cant do that with a black shirt.

I don't have the capabilities to assess store lights based on color reflection of diamonds. But I must remember not to wear black when buying diamonds else I will be unimpressed by any of them if they all reflect black light to me. I would think it's obstruction given my limited knowledge.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416646709|3788410 said:
I don't have the capabilities to assess store lights based on color reflection of diamonds. But I must remember not to wear black when buying diamonds else I will be unimpressed by any of them if they all reflect black light to me. I would think it's obstruction given my limited knowledge.
yep your right obstruction.

What I do is block the store spot and led lights from directly hitting the diamond and use the light reflected from my blue shirt to evaluate the diamond.
You should see the look on their faces when they figure out what I am doing.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K said:
thecat|1416646709|3788410 said:
yep your right obstruction.

What I do is block the store spot and led lights from directly hitting the diamond and use the light reflected from my blue shirt to evaluate the diamond.
You should see the look on their faces when they figure out what I am doing.

Karl, does your first sentence mean that color reflection is a consequence of obstruction?

Another question: I can understand shielding diamond from store lighting when looking at diamond so that we won't be affected by the insane fire due to their lighting but is otherwise a dead rock. But why would you need light reflected from your blue shirt? Besides, how much light can a shirt reflect? I don't quite get it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416658240|3788457 said:
Karl_K said:
Karl, does your first sentence mean that color reflection is a consequence of obstruction?

Another question: I can understand shielding diamond from store lighting when looking at diamond so that we won't be affected by the insane fire due to their lighting but is otherwise a dead rock. But why would you need light reflected from your blue shirt? Besides, how much light can a shirt reflect? I don't quite get it.

It is obstruction yes but the obstruction generally talked about here is head shadow, obstruction caused by ones head but it can be caused by the body also.
Its not a bad thing as long as the diamond does not over react to obstruction.
It just is.

The light reflected from the shirt gives an even diffused light when viewed right.
It reflects somewhere around 25%-30% which is enough in a super bright store.
Caucasian skin is right around 18%

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl, thanks for the explanation. :)) I didn't know color reflection would be termed as obstruction. I thought only black was obstruction. This is interesting to know.

May I know the purpose of light reflected from shirt? Is it to check how much obstruction the diamond has? For me, when I shield a diamond from store lighting, it's just to check if it's eye clean and if it appears dull.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416690867|3788645 said:
Karl, thanks for the explanation. :)) I didn't know color reflection would be termed as obstruction. I thought only black was obstruction. This is interesting to know.

May I know the purpose of light reflected from shirt? Is it to check how much obstruction the diamond has? For me, when I shield a diamond from store lighting, it's just to check if it's eye clean and if it appears dull.
To see how the diamond reacts to diffused lighting as as apposed to the direct lighting in the store.
It does also tell how it reacts to head shadow obstruction depending on how close it is held.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1416698931|3788692 said:
thecat|1416690867|3788645 said:

To see how the diamond reacts to diffused lighting as as apposed to the direct lighting in the store.
It does also tell how it reacts to head shadow obstruction depending on how close it is held.

we are on the same page then. I shield to see if it's dull is similar to your seeing how it appears in diffused lighting. :)) I wanted to buy 2 eternity last year. When I shielded both from their lighting, one was alright (not phenomenal like ideal rounds) but the other was dull. So I only got one in the end. Thanks for all your responses which allowed me to gain new knowledge. :))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thecat|1416709005|3788747 said:
we are on the same page then. I shield to see if it's dull is similar to your seeing how it appears in diffused lighting. :)) I wanted to buy 2 eternity last year. When I shielded both from their lighting, one was alright (not phenomenal like ideal rounds) but the other was dull. So I only got one in the end. Thanks for all your responses which allowed me to gain new knowledge. :))
Your welcome!
This is fun! I love threads like this :}

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results