shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Tiffany & Co. allow exchange of Tiffany setting purchased from 3rd Party?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smarti5051

Rough_Rock
I know Tiffany will not set a non-Tiffany diamond in a Tiffany setting. However, I was wondering if you purchased a Tiffany diamond and setting from a third party and have all of the original Tiffany paperwork that goes with it, would Tiffany place a Tiffany diamond in a different Tiffany setting? If yes, would you be required to pay just for the difference in price between the old and new settings, or would you pay the full price of the new setting? I guess you could always sell the old setting if you had to pay for the new one and they wouldn''t give you credit, but then I imagine that might be a reason they wouldn''t let you exchange it in the first place.

Has anybody ever tried this? What if instead of a purchase, it was bequethed to you from a long-lost relative? Do they actually require proof that you obtained it from a relative? I think you can see where I am going with this. I welcome anybody with experience or a basis for opinion. Thank you so much.

Scott K.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a toughie. From other posts I have seen, even if you have all the paperwork, if you aren't the original owner, then you can't do much. Does Tiffany even exchange one setting for another, regardless of who bought it? I don't think so? Most jewelry stores won't exchange a setting unless it was purchased within a return policy window...unless you are trading it in. However, I don't even know if stores take settings for trade-in as they may have more wear and tear than the average stone (which is much harder and usually much more valuable).

Maybe just call and ask. You can call a different store to ask if you feel odd about calling one you might go into.

Good luck.

barkingowl

Rough_Rock
Usually the only time that TCO will exchange the settings is at the time of purchase. Say for example that the setting is 18kt yg & you want platinum. The first thing that they'll do is try to find the same stone already set in platinum. If they can't do that then they'll ship the original ring off to their workshop in NYC & transfer the stone.
As far as resetting an already purchased ring by a third party, well I would take all of the documentation in & be prepared to fight. What will most likely happen is that they will either refuse to do it or they will send the ring & the documentation back to NY to be checked. Then they will reset the diamond. I don't know if they will give you credit for the existing setting or not. It will probably take about a month. The best thing to do is to call up the customer service department at the closest TCO to you & ask what the procedure is. If they say that they can help you then visit the store. Should they decide to do it make sure that you remind them to issue you new documentation for the diamond that reflects your ownership & the upgraded mounting.
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi BarkingOwl! Do you by chance work for the elusive and mysterious Tiffany & Co? It'd be nice to have a representative from their camp on the forum to balance us all out.
1.gif

PARRISHNUT

Rough_Rock
hi,
i'm looking for a setting marked tiffany... what happened...
i need a rb setting for an 8.95 stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results