shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this effect the brilliance of the main diamond?

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
I'm traditional and would like something somewhat unique for my soon to be fiance engagement ring. She on the otherhand is traditional, but likes that fact that I push her outside her comfort zone. So I've found a jeweler who will make a victorian style platinum ring that is black rhodium plated. My initial thought was that this would make the white diamond pave and the center diamond "pop" more. I wanted to get some feedback on what the effect a black band would be. thanks!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Michael1320|1431091070|3873942 said:
I'm traditional and would like something somewhat unique for my soon to be fiance engagement ring. She on the otherhand is traditional, but likes that fact that I push her outside her comfort zone. So I've found a jeweler who will make a victorian style platinum ring that is black rhodium plated. My initial thought was that this would make the white diamond pave and the center diamond "pop" more. I wanted to get some feedback on what the effect a black band would be. thanks!

I understand your desire to push her outside of her comfort zone, but a forever piece of jewelry may not be the best place to do it.

I would try to go with her preferences as closely as possible. She is the one that will be wearing the ring for her lifetime.

You might consider adding a small surprise stone (inside the ring) or something like that, something she normally wouldn't do, but something that would not be obvious to everyone.

You want her to be happy and proud to wear the ring and celebrate your love - get her the ring she wants.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second RR...an engagement ring is usually considered a forever ring and it should be what she wants and what makes her
happy to wear. Have you asked her if you can step outside of the box with her ring? Was she ok with it or is this all a surprise?
If she is traditional...I would probably stick with something classic.

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
It is Jet black rhodium. She has seen a similar style ring in all white, rose, and black gold (individually) and she did like all of them.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Michael1320|1431104335|3874054 said:
Here's a link to the style of ring. However that one is 14k gold and with while sapphire

https://img0.etsystatic.com/021/0/7239993/il_570xN.566699120_ofcp.jpg

To me, this ring would suit a very 'gothic' person.

This black coloration would not be considered even vaguely traditional by anyone.

If her idea of a fun night is crying into a cup of red wine, while listening to Bauhaus vinyl, this would be a perfect fit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael1320|1431104030|3874048 said:
It is Jet black rhodium. She has seen a similar style ring in all white, rose, and black gold (individually) and she did like all of them.

Like it is one thing for an occasional ring wear. Like it as forever wear is another thing. Just double checking to make sure. If all is good, then let's move on. Black rhodium plating, like all other rhodium plating needs to be redone once a while and depending on her body chemistry, could last as little as 3 months or can last as long as 12 months, before it needs to be replated. Are you all right with the need for such maintenance/upkeep?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would discourage something this "unique" for an engagement ring UNLESS the intended wearer picked it out for herself and was really sure they wanted this look for a lifetime. It doesn't sound like (from the limited info. given) that your future wife is this type of person. If she's traditional and wants you to pick the ring, try to match *her* style as closely as you can. Classic styles are classics for a reason--they look good over the years and stand the test of time.

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
As was explained to me by a few jewelers, since it's platinum underneath at any point if I or she decided she wanted the original platinum color the ring rhodium would be able to polished off. I viewed this is a safe fall back. .

I totally understand the apprehension with the ring choice. In the begining I was a little iffy about it because it was black, then I showed it to a bunch of people and the reactions have been consistent. There were 5 people I asked over the age of 40, every last one of them didn't like it because it was black. There was no one between 35-40. The other 8 of the 9 people were under 35 and they all loved it, one person said they liked it, however they were sure for a forever ring.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Michael1320|1431108801|3874096 said:
As was explained to me by a few jewelers, since it's platinum underneath at any point if I or she decided she wanted the original platinum color the ring rhodium would be able to polished off. I viewed this is a safe fall back. .

I totally understand the apprehension with the ring choice. In the begining I was a little iffy about it because it was black, then I showed it to a bunch of people and the reactions have been consistent. There were 5 people I asked over the age of 40, every last one of them didn't like it because it was black. There was no one between 35-40. The other 8 of the 9 people were under 35 and they all loved it, one person said they liked it, however they were sure for a forever ring.

I am in that 35-40 demo, so you've got at least one opinion from that age range!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the plating also be removed from underneath all the diamond melees?

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Tastes change over time. Hopefully your girlfriend will spend far longer wearing this ring as a 40+ year old than she will as an under 35 year old!
Also, even though we shouldn't care about other people's reactions, the fact is that repeated double takes and "how different/unique" comments may take the gloss of the immediate post-engagement glow for her. Why take the risk when you know what she likes and have it within your power to give it to her? Buy her a black RHR later for a birthday or Christmas if you really love it.
Try and remember this is your big chance to delight her and make a grand gesture about how important her happiness is to you.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
First investigate how to procure a really beautiful white diamond as a center stone. That's quite a process, and what this forum focuses on, for the most part.

Once you've spent some time looking at really beautiful diamonds, hopefully you'll see a lot of different types of settings at the same time. Your tastes may change.

Have you considered a black tungsten carbide wedding band for yourself? Something really unusual and boundary pushing?

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
Obtaining a diamond is indeed quite the learning process. I've done a ton of research and feel at this point I know exactly how to buy diamond and what to look for. Under 10K is my budget... Her expectations are a carot, so to her I'm letting her think it's going to be just a ct. I'm really looking at 1.25-1.50ct, excellent cut, G color (her preference-even though I really doubt she could tell the difference between G and H) and VS2-SI clarity.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael1320|1431121644|3874203 said:
Oh and for myself... I'm leaning towards buying actual ancient viking ring

No, I think you should let her pick yours! :eh:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't do it. If she wants a solitaire, I'd simply go with a timeless, classic setting. In thirty years, it will still be beautiful and still be in style. Leave the trendy stuff for another piece of jewelry that is not intended for every day wear.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I am under 35 and without knowing your girlfriend (other than traditional), I would hesitate to recommend a black rhodium plated ring because I have one. It's a black band with black diamonds and I wear it next to a rose gold/white diamond ring. The plating wears off quickly on my ring, especially on the side where the rings rub together. It is a high maintanence ring and for what I paid for it, I wouldn't do it again. Have you considered oxidized gold or silver? Has that same look but doesn't require plating.

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page4/martine_p154/

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still curious about the OP's original question. How will black prongs reflect in the diamond? Shadows? Dulling of brilliance?
I do agree - find a diamond that knocks your socks off, then go for a setting. If you find the perfect stone, it can go through setting changes over the years [as do many of PSer's great stones].
Best to you & have fun on your quest : )

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
Jimmianne|1431128908|3874270 said:
I'm still curious about the OP's original question. How will black prongs reflect in the diamond? Shadows? Dulling of brilliance?
I do agree - find a diamond that knocks your socks off, then go for a setting. If you find the perfect stone, it can go through setting changes over the years [as do many of PSer's great stones].
Best to you & have fun on your quest : )[/quote

Thanks and appreciate you bringing the conversation back to the original question.

Michael1320

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1431122870|3874224 said:
Michael1320|1431121644|3874203 said:
Oh and for myself... I'm leaning towards buying actual ancient viking ring

No, I think you should let her pick yours! :eh:

She asked what style I liked, I told her something cheap and ancient and showed her an example. I then told her to get me whatever she'd like.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Yes, back to the original question. In my opinion the black color setting and prongs will indeed detract from the brilliance of the main diamond. A platinum halo has a certain effect, a 18k white gold setting has a certain effect, a 14k yellow gold setting has another, and a black rhodium setting will certainly have a strong effect on the look of the diamond.

A diamond will reflect whatever color it is surrounded by.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Victorian times they wore black enamelled rings and jewelry with black stones, jet etc when mourning and to let people know along with all black clothes. An engagement is a happy time and to me anyway is the opposite. If your girlfriend wants this that's good but not a surprise most would like.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could do a test yourself at a jewelry store. Put a loose diamond on a black piece of paper and see how it sparkles and how brilliant it is. Then do the same thing with the diamond on a white piece of paper. My guess is that it will be much more brilliant and sparkly on the white paper. The diamond must reflect light to display the fire, brilliance and scintillation. White tends to allow the light to reflect, whereas, black has the opposite effect. Looking at the oxidized ring on Singlestone's website that Travelgal posted, the small diamonds look a bit dull against the oxidized and dark shank.

I think if you feel she will love it, then go for it. But if it's something you want her to like because you like it or because it's nontraditional, then it may not be the best thing. Part of what's so special about choosing a gift for someone, is that the planning and thought is about what you think the receiver will love.

Good luck and congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results