shape
carat
color
clarity

Will the engraving on my platinum setting wear off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

love rocks

Rough_Rock
Just curious, will the engraving on the sides of my platinum setting wear off?

Also: When I take my ring off, and I look at the "inside" engraving (not where my finger slides through, but the side that you can only see when I take my ring off, not from the top-down view), I noticed that the engraving on the left side is not as pronounced as the engraving on the right, same thing when I flip the ring over - is this common? Or maybe it''s just an error on the engraver''s part?

Basically the two sides look like they have different patterns of engraving, or the left side looks worn - the engraving doesn''t show up as pronounced as the right side - it''s kinda weird.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful, thanks!
wavey.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The engraving will wear off. It could take many years or it could take just a few years to see a big difference. This will depend on how rough you are, if you are wearing a wedding band against it, is the band always worn on one side and if they are soldered together.

The inside engraving is difficult to answer without seeing it. I would guess the engraver either didn't apply the same pressure throughout the entire engraving process, or he polished the inside to de-burr the engraving and didn't polish it evenly. Either way it sounds as though it could have been done a little better.

love rocks

Rough_Rock
I would guess the engraver either didn't apply the same pressure throughout the entire engraving process, or he polished the inside to de-burr the engraving and didn't polish it evenly. Either way it sounds as though it could have been done a little better.
----------------[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I thought, too. I'm a little bummed about the jeweler not doing such a good job, but I guess it could be worse! My ring could be crooked or something!
2.gif

Is it possible to get my ring re-engraved? Is this hard to do?

Thanks for your advice
wink2.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It can be done again. The engraving you have now needs to be filled using a laser welder, not by polishing it out or the ring will thin.

And yes platinum does wear away, it is very slow, we rebuild platinum prongs (sometimes replace the head), and half shank platinum rings every day. We do a lot of repair work so we do see it often. No doubt that it wears much better than gold though.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you read my first response it says "it could take many years", and filling the engraving is the way to redo the inside engraving that they are not happy with. If that engraving is sanded out and polished it will thin the ring to some degree and this is a new ring!

A blanket statement like "You may lose some "crispness" over time but shouldn't disappear if you're wearing two rings together." indicates that the piece will never wear out.

Not trying to stir anything up... I think you just read the post to quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results