shape
carat
color
clarity

Will scratch?! - 90% platinum/10% iridium e-ring and 95% pure platinum/5% ruthenium wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

My e-ring metal is going to be 90% platinum and 10% iridium, which was suggested by the jeweler. Also, after reading some threads on here, I do like this combination.

For wedding band, I was thinking of just buying a simple 2mm from e-weddingbands.com since it is priced very competitively, but their mix is 95% pure platinum and 5% ruthenium (harder than 90% platinum and 10% iridium mix).

Ifm wondering if 1) there will be any visible difference and 2) if 95% pure platinum and 5% ruthenium wedding band will scratch 90% platinum and 10% iridium e-ring. Does anyone know anything about this?? Is it better to buy a wedding band that is made of same platinum mix (90% platinum and 10% iridium)?

cmelb

Shiny_Rock
Hi Oceanbeach,

I'm currently getting a new ring hand made by Allan Creates www.ringlock.com from Canada and he is using Ruthenium. 900 plat with 100 iridium is harder than 950 plat with 50 iridium and "950 plat with 50 ruthenium is even harder than both".

950 plat with 50 ruthenium will hold its polish for longer and be less acceptable to scratches.

Hope this helps.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 10:38:57 AM
Author: cmelb

Hi Oceanbeach,

I''m currently getting a new ring hand made by Allan Creates www.ringlock.com from Canada and he is using Ruthenium. 900 plat with 100 iridium is harder than 950 plat with 50 iridium and ''950 plat with 50 ruthenium is even harder than both''.

950 plat with 50 ruthenium will hold its polish for longer and be less acceptable to scratches.

Hope this helps.

Hi cmelb,
hummm... actually I read opposite thing in other threads, so I wanted to go with 900 plat with 100 iridium.
Anyway, so do you know if will my e-ring (900 plat with 100 iridium) get scratched up by my wedding band (950 plat with 50 ruthenium)??

Anyone?!

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results