shape
carat
color
clarity

Will rose gold effect the colour of my diamond?

sazza100

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.

Newly engaged my Fiancé and I are in the process of buying a diamond and designing my ring. I have falling in love with the halo style but would like for the bevel (area surrounding the diamond) to be rose gold. My questions is…. Will having rose gold effect the colour of the diamond? We are looking at a Excellent cut with either D-F colour?

I have been getting such mixed reviews, some saying yes so buy an G/H some saying not at all. What are your thoughts??????

thediamondshopper

Rough_Rock
Trade
From my experience rose gold will tend to mask color in certain stones, I haven't set a D-F in rose gold but have done a couple J's and they appeared whiter in the setting. The logic behind this is pretty simple, the whiter the metal (white gold and platinum) the more contrast there will be against a stone with color. Im fairly certain it will have any negative effects like making color more apparent so if you like the idea of rose gold (i personally love the rose gold look) go for it! Ive seen some outstanding rose gold work on the Diamonds By Lauren website, take a peek there as some times seeing is believing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sazza100|1381469444|3535731 said:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some advice.

Newly engaged my Fiancé and I are in the process of buying a diamond and designing my ring. I have falling in love with the halo style but would like for the bevel (area surrounding the diamond) to be rose gold. My questions is…. Will having rose gold effect the colour of the diamond? We are looking at a Excellent cut with either D-F colour?

I have been getting such mixed reviews, some saying yes so buy an G/H some saying not at all. What are your thoughts??????

No, it should not impact on them. Platinum does make icy white stones look just that icy white, but having a nice white coloured stone and pink metal will contrast. It can make some lower to mid coloured stones appear whiter but these usually have pink or brown undertones. It can make stones with yellow undertones look more yellow.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Colorless diamonds tend to retain their icy white regardless of the metal. In my experience, it's the J and lower colors that have a more chameleon personality and are more affected by the color of the metal.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

sazza100

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, with such conflicting information its so hard to make a choice. I have had one jeweller suggest having just the top part of the halo in rose gold to reduce the rose gold reflecting and another adding mirror (or something or other) next to the diamond to deflect the rose. All sounds a little OTT to me.

Based on what I have read it seems so long as I get a good colour the rose should make a difference, I just love the contrast and dont want to change my design.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
On a white stone there should little to no effect on color. often jewelers will do an interior bezel in platinum and the exterior (double bezel) in rose or yellow OR do small claw prongs in platinum or white gold. That is the beauty of a DEF stone. They are white. stone colors below F can be tricky simply because the body color in them may be of varying tones: yellow, brown, champagne etc

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Sazza,
IN general, pink gold will affect the color of stones set into it- speaking from extensive experience, we've set many white stones into rose gold. Depending on the setting style, and nature of the pink gold- and the shape of the stone, they can pick up a little, or a lot of pink from the setting.
You've used the term "bevel"- did you mean "bezel"?
The more metal touching the stone, the greater the impact- so a bezel will add more color into the stone than prongs.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The photo- which shows a bezel- seems not to "bleed" into the center diamond....however as I mentioned, our real life experiences have been different.

sazza100

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rockdiamond, so many conflicting opinions, I suppose I will just have to wait and see! :confused:

sazza100

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I thought I would update everyone on this post regarding having an assher set with some rose gold. My question was would it effect the colour and I had lots of diffrent responses.

Well to answer the questions, YES it does. I am in the middle of having my engagament ring remade, would you believe we got engaged in August!

The diamonds we bought was a EX EX 1.2 F, so good quality, it looked PINK! Now I have the issue that the setting I have the diamond in (halo with bezel) is making the diamond look dark since there isnt enough light getting in so having to re think the design.

So for those of you who wondered, rose and asshers dont go well together ;-)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sazza100|1388449133|3583405 said:
Depends on the asscher and the amount of leakage present.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sazza100|1388449133|3583405 said:
Hi All,

I thought I would update everyone on this post regarding having an assher set with some rose gold. My question was would it effect the colour and I had lots of diffrent responses.

Well to answer the questions, YES it does. I am in the middle of having my engagament ring remade, would you believe we got engaged in August!

The diamonds we bought was a EX EX 1.2 F, so good quality, it looked PINK! Now I have the issue that the setting I have the diamond in (halo with bezel) is making the diamond look dark since there isnt enough light getting in so having to re think the design.

If one is looking to have the diamond look as white as possible, it's true that rose gold prongs, or bezel is not a good way to go
But remember, this is definitely a matter of matching a person's desires with the ring. There are many people that LOVE a diamond that looks pink. that group will likely love the way an Asscher looks set in rose gold.
Personally, I don't believe this is an issue with the quality of cut on your Asscher- as it would be the case that any Asscher cut set into pink metal will pick up color, in our experience.

jillianfl

Shiny_Rock
I'm late to the party on this one, but I used this thread for reference so if any one else uses it for reference like me in the future here are some pics to prove it... Here is my GIA L faint brown on a penny next to a (needs to be cleaned lol) GIA G princess ring.... and here it is on a coral colored leather purse to show how different it can look b/c it looks white to me sometimes, and is very faint in color but I was wowed when I put it on top of the penny (thanks to good advice from another pricescoper)! Hoping the penny mimics well what it would look like set in rose gold! So I definitely think rose gold affects color in slightly warm/ tinted stones for sure, at least it does in my pics/ test!

So if in doubt, you should do the shiny penny test :)

pennypic1img_20140415_0.jpg

pennypic3img_20140415_0.jpg

coralpurseimg_20140415_0.jpg

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
1. Trust Rockdiamond
2. Probably better off to get G color anyway and get a bigger diamond rather than pay the premium on D-F, which is not really distinguishable from a G, particularly if any hint of color from the setting starts playing with the color of the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results