shape
carat
color
clarity

Will it make a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Right now I have a princess cut 4.61 x 4.79mm diamond (0.71ct G I1 poor cut
7.gif
). I am going to be looking at some diamonds (princess cuts) this weekend
31.gif
, one that caught the vender''s eye (haven''t seen in person yet) is a 6.29 x 6.25mm E VS1 1.60 well cut. My question is do you think the size difference will be noticable? I only have the length x width on the stone right now, but does that seem deep? Another one they are bringing in to compare with the other one is 1.72 F VS2 6.3 x 6.28, also well cut.

What important questions do I need to ask the vender?
33.gif
Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you so much!! This forum has been so helpful! I am so excited for this weekend!
36.gif
Yeah!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a recommondation as to who I should insure this through?
I have heard of Chubb or using a homeowners rider. Anyone with some experience with this? Thanks!

Editted to add: There isn't a Chubb agent near me. Has anyone gone through them "long distance", so not using a face-to-face agent???? Thanks!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone think it''s worth it to upgrade to this? I have been wanting to upgrade for a really long time (like 3 years), do you think this would be a big enough difference in size to be noticable?

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
A 1.6 millimeter difference is huge! You will definitely notice. I''ve read that 0.5 millimeters is enough for most people to see a difference. I don''t know much about princesses, but according to this chart, the new princesses may be a bit deep. If they''re already bringing them in for you, go have a look and let your eyes be the judge.

talen316

Rough_Rock
Not an expert, but given the relatively smaller length & width measurements for stones of that size, you might think that they are stones that are cut rather deeply... Not saying they couldn''t look good, but those dims seem sort of small for that carat weight, especially on the 1.72 F.

I have a Personal Articles Rider for my wife''s jewelry that attaches to our HO policy. State Farm is our insurance company. They told me they would not insure a loose stone, so it had to be in a setting, if even just $100 temporary setting before it could be insured through them.

There have been a lot of threads on insuring loose stones so you may want to search a little to see what all was said. I''m still not clear on whether or not Chubbs, Jewelers Mutual, etc. insure loose stones or not.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 8:59:16 PM
Author: urseberry
A 1.6 millimeter difference is huge! You will definitely notice. I''ve read that 0.5 millimeters is enough for most people to see a difference. I don''t know much about princesses, but according to this chart, the new princesses may be a bit deep. If they''re already bringing them in for you, go have a look and let your eyes be the judge.

Thank you so much! I was wondering if it would be.... but the cut is supposed to be good, so could the depth be due to like a crown or something that would make it sparkle more?

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 9:47:00 PM
Author: talen316
Not an expert, but given the relatively smaller length & width measurements for stones of that size, you might think that they are stones that are cut rather deeply... Not saying they couldn''t look good, but those dims seem sort of small for that carat weight, especially on the 1.72 F.

I have a Personal Articles Rider for my wife''s jewelry that attaches to our HO policy. State Farm is our insurance company. They told me they would not insure a loose stone, so it had to be in a setting, if even just $100 temporary setting before it could be insured through them.

There have been a lot of threads on insuring loose stones so you may want to search a little to see what all was said. I''m still not clear on whether or not Chubbs, Jewelers Mutual, etc. insure loose stones or not.

It will actually be put in a setting. Are you happy with the personal rider? Were you very particular in the apprasial (pictures,etc).

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 8:54:01 PM
Author: Sparkles22
Have you consider Jeweler''s Mutual? Here is a link to check them out.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the depth thing but the dif in size between what you have versus what you are going to look at is huge. You will definitely notice.

shay

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 10:49:45 PM
Author: Sparkalicious

Date: 1/31/2008 8:54:01 PM
Have you consider Jeweler''s Mutual? Here is a link to check them out.
Is this who you use? Are you happy with them?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 10:54:36 PM
Is this who you use? Are you happy with them?
My bf is presently in the process of insuring my ering and we are going with JM. They were recommended by our jeweler and they seem to have a comprehensive insurance package that will more than take care of my ring should it be damaged or lost/stolen etc. I think it is standard with insurance companies, however, we do have to supply them with an appraisal as well so that they are able to accurately gauge the replacement value of this item.

Many other PS''ers deal with JM as well. It is one of the more popular insurance companies next to Chubb and, depending on situations, the "riders" that you mentioned.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:08:40 PM

My bf is presently in the process of insuring my ering and we are going with JM. They were recommended by our jeweler and they seem to have a comprehensive insurance package that will more than take care of my ring should it be damaged or lost/stolen etc. I think it is standard with insurance companies, however, we do have to supply them with an appraisal as well so that they are able to accurately gauge the replacement value of this item.

Many other PS''ers deal with JM as well. It is one of the more popular insurance companies next to Chubb and, depending on situations, the ''riders'' that you mentioned.

Do you happen to know the benefits of each one? Like for example what the difference would be in going with a rider vs JM.

talen316

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 10:17:05 PM

Date: 1/31/2008 9:47:00 PM

It will actually be put in a setting. Are you happy with the personal rider? Were you very particular in the apprasial (pictures,etc).
Well, I haven''t added the stone to the Personal Articles policy just yet because it was sent directly from GOG to the Jeweler in my area who is making the setting. The stone is currently in the Jeweler''s possession and is covered under her policy that is incidentally with Jewelers Mutual. Once the ring is finished and I take possession, I will have the ring added to my Personal Articles policy. I don''t know what the cost will be to insure the ring yet. Once I get the ring added to the policy and I know what the cost is I may shop around to see what other rates companies such as Chubbs and JM are offering.

The appraisal pkg that GOG provided on the loose stone was very detailed and included a sarin report, reflector images, microscopic pics, GIA cert, etc. Once the ring is finished I''ll prob take GOG up on their offer to provide a revised appraisal for the finished ring.

I would confirm with your insurance agent as to what details they will require to insure the ring. I would think that pics would probably be standard as part of the appraisal pkg, but I could be wrong. I think the more details that can be provided to the insurance company, the better chance you stand to get a stone of like quality should you need to file a claim.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:12:00 PM
Do you happen to know the benefits of each one? Like for example what the difference would be in going with a rider vs JM.
Unfortunately, I''m not that familiar, Sparkles ... Sorry.
If I recall correctly, what I have heard is that if you get a rider and have to make a claim, it is basically a claim that goes against your home insurance ... I may not be completely accurate so please don''t just go by what I am saying.
If you get something like JM, it is only related to the jewelry items that you have listed on your policy and doesn''t impact your home insurance, which is completely seperate.
If you click on the link I provided you in the earlier post, you will see that the JM website has an FAQ section as well as a lot of other info that was quite informative.
Also, if you try searching PS via the "search" box up on the top right hand side of the webpage, you will find a lot of information on insurance and people''s thoughts.
I hope that helps ...

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:36:25 PM

If I recall correctly, what I have heard is that if you get a rider and have to make a claim, it is basically a claim that goes against your home insurance ... I may not be completely accurate so please don''t just go by what I am saying.
If you get something like JM, it is only related to the jewelry items that you have listed on your policy and doesn''t impact your home insurance, which is completely seperate.
If you click on the link I provided you in the earlier post, you will see that the JM website has an FAQ section as well as a lot of other info that was quite informative.
Also, if you try searching PS via the ''search'' box up on the top right hand side of the webpage, you will find a lot of information on insurance and people''s thoughts.
I hope that helps ...
Yes it does thank you!

talen316

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:36:25 PM

Also, if you try searching PS via the ''search'' box up on the top right hand side of the webpage, you will find a lot of information on insurance and people''s thoughts.
I hope that helps ...
I''m not familiar with the differences either.

Speaking from my experience though, when we had to file our claim on our PA policy, my SF agent told me that it does not have any impact on the HO policy and is completely seperate in that regard. I had specifically asked my agent this question because the cost of the item was borderline enough to where if filing the claim was going to have a significant adverse impact on my HO policy, then I was going to consider not filing the claim.

Other than that, I haven''t looked into a standalone policy with JM or Chubbs so I don''t really know the pros/cons/differences of each.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/31/2008 11:42:23 PM
I''m not familiar with the differences either.

Speaking from my experience though, when we had to file our claim on our PA policy, my SF agent told me that it does not have any impact on the HO policy and is completely seperate in that regard. I had specifically asked my agent this question because the cost of the item was borderline enough to where if filing the claim was going to have a significant adverse impact on my HO policy, then I was going to consider not filing the claim.

Other than that, I haven''t looked into a standalone policy with JM or Chubbs so I don''t really know the pros/cons/differences of each.
Thanks!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a huge difference! Of course you''ll notice it. It''s almost a full carat larger than the first diamond. From what I have gathered on these boards, most princess cuts are not cut extremely well. Perhaps when you''re out looking, you could look at other square shapes too (there are so many of them) and see if you like something else better, that perhaps has a very fine cut. But of course if you''re just in love with the Princess cut, go for it. Good luck!!
9.gif

pivotalrex

Rough_Rock

Date: 1/31/2008 11:08:40 PM

Many other PS''ers deal with JM as well. It is one of the more popular insurance companies next to Chubb and, depending on situations, the ''riders'' that you mentioned.

I have Chubb personal insurance for my fiance''s ring. The cost is reasonable for a yr to yr policy, somewhere around 150.00. I think this varies a little depending on the appraisal of the ring. You might be able to get a rider on a HO policy for 20-25 bucks but regardless of what an agent tells you, if the insurance company pays money out of their pocket it will count towards your policy. Now you might be fine with one or two claims but once you hit 3 within 3 years the ins company can drop you and it will be hard to find reasonable home owners.

you might be saying 3 claims are a lot but...
1) you lose your e ring
2) the next year a tree falls and does damage to your house
or your basement floods and causes damage
3) a guest gets hurt on your property ( after all everyone is sue crazy)

personally I''ll pay for the private ins.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results