shape
carat
color
clarity

Wife lost her ring....time to replace....lots to learn:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gr8smiles

Rough_Rock
Long story, but I will try and make it brief. My wife and I have been married almost 23 years. At our 7 year anniversary, I upgraded her ring. Her mother's cousin owned a jewelry store and helped out. I did not know a lot about the process, but she did get her a nice ring...at least we thought so:)...I have since learned a lot more.

Her upgraded ring was a 2.08 marquise with two trillions on either side on a wide gold band. Trillions were about 95 points total.
We had it insured with a rider with our insurance company. Color was an H and clarity was an S1. Did not know about cut quality etc. much in 1994.

Fast forward to 2009, her father had heart issues and passed away on 9/1/09 in Memphis. Her mother had a stroke eight days later and has been in and out of the hospital 3 times since and is now in a rehab. center in Memphis. I say all this because somewhere in and out of all the hospital stays and hotel stays her ring cannot be found. We have turned our house, cars, etc. upside down and cannot find it. We have filed a claim with our insurance and are in the process of getting her a new ring. She is sad, but ready for a change. Our original appraisal was for 31k in 1994. The inflation rider had brought our coverage up to 45k. They are telling us they can replace it for 25k, or we can have a check. I am talking now with my agent about refunding some premiums since it seems that I should not pay premiums on what they will not pay...anyway, that is another discussion.

So, I have been reading and studying here for a couple weeks. There is a lot to take in. She is still deciding on a mounting as well as a shape. It seems that we will probably go with a round brilliant or a cushion. She is wearing her grandmothers ring currently. It is a round 'miners cut' or OEC of about 1.0-1.5 cts. It is pretty clear, but we can notice the color. Probably a J??
She does like how it sparkles. It has large facets and seems to shine and sparkle really well.

I have spent some time in the independent BandM stores locally and am underimpressed. When I ask about OEC or miner cuts, they all want to sell me a G color clear diamond. I am still at the point of figuring out my options. I know that this is not an 'investment', but hopefully it will become a family heirloom.

We know we want:
Something that is 'eye clear'...we are in our 40's, so that is pretty easy:)
Something that is at least 2.5 cts., but maybe more. She got a lot of compliments on her marquise and it did have some 'bling' factor.
She likes fancy yellows, but the price to get something of that size in intense or vivid may be out of my range.
I would like to stay in the 30k range.
She will probably go with platinum
She likes the 'pave' look and the vintage look, but she may be too rough on a ring for a setting with a lot of small diamonds
I am torn on color....I would want to see something that is a k,l,m etc. but I realize I could get some 'carotage' for that color
We have an appraiser from these boards near here, so we could get an online ring checked out.
We know we want a GIA or AGS stone...any others that are ok? One of the BandM stores said his were, then when I asked to see it, he could not find it, then he went on to say it was IGL, but that it really did not matter. We walked from there pretty fast.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, etc. We have even thought about flying to NYC for a weekend.
Is it a bad time to be looking right now that the holidays are over...ie...will stock be depleted?
Should we wait a few weeks? What are some places to look for OEC and miner cuts?

This is long winded, but I wanted to share some background.

Hope everyone is having a good Christmas day.

Rick

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Jewels by Erica Grace always has some wonderful older cuts in, I would give them an email and have them send you some recommendation photos.

Why not fly to New York for the weekend for the fun of it? Just don''t settle on anything right away.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your marquise, I happen to be very partial to that cut.

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS. Sorry you have had such troubles especially all piled on at once.

As per going to NYC, if by that you mean to visit some PS vendors then absolutely. On the other hand, you will be a sheep among many packs of wolves in the "diamond district" so unless you REALLY know what you are doing it is probably best to leave your wallet in the hotel safe before heading there.

As for the insurance company. The adjusters job is to pay as little as possible on any given claim. If you have paperwork on the lost ring (diamond certificate) you might be able to challenge their numbers in some way. Maybe some sort of forensic appraisal, price comparison, etc. Hopefully someone with more knowledge in this area can offer some suggestions.

gr8smiles

Rough_Rock
If I went to NYC, I would only do it with appts. with certain vendors. I can only imagine what I would be like otherwise.
If I want to go with an older OMC or OEC, what kind of certification is best?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe Good Old Gold is located near NYC and carries a good collection of older cuts. Although I think they mostly sell "new" old cuts, that is, they cut new rough in the old style and the stones aren't actually from that time period. Which may be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for.

Here's a 3ct vintage cut cushion, L color, for 17k
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6824/

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the others on trying to make appointments with PS vendors if you are going to NYC. I think with Jonathan at GOG at least, if you give him a heads-up that you are coming and let him know what kinds of stones you are looking for, he can likely pull some good ones to show you (and could probably advise you better than we can about the state of his stock).

I''d also imagine Mark at ERD, who has sourced some STUNNING cushions here on PS, would be another good vendor to see and could probably also pull stuff in for you if you call ahead.

Since your wife (and you) seems a bit torn about what she wants shape- and color-wise, and also setting-wise, I''d really strongly advise her to try on as many different settings as possible with both cushions and round brilliants. Sometimes just getting a sense of how things look on your own hand can make a world of difference, and will help to make a decision.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 5:46:12 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I believe Good Old Gold is located near NYC and carries a good collection of older cuts. Although I think they mostly sell ''new'' old cuts, that is, they cut new rough in the old style and the stones aren''t actually from that time period. Which may be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for.

Here''s a 3ct vintage cut cushion, L color, for 17k

I second visiting Jon at GOG! He has both round and cushion "new old cuts" that are just beautiful! Check out the sparkle in some of his videos. They are called August Vintage Cushions and August Vintage Rounds.

Link to videos

Just look through the titles for ones mentioning the August Vintage Cushions and Rounds.
30.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Single Stone in LA is another vendor of antique diamonds and makes gorgeous reproduction "antique" style settings for them. I know, LA is not NYC.

Lots of OEC diamonds seem to be I through K color, with a lot of Ks out there. I like L color, and I have an M but it's around the 7mm diameter and it is a pale M. I went through a phase where I thought I really wanted a fancy yellow diaomond, but I bought it in a sim stone and wore that a while, and the appeal totally wore off. (Just thought I'd mention that.) The last diamond I bought is a F, and I love it's whiteness, lol.

I don't have time to make links, but these are the PS I/J/K threads:
I:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-color-stones-in-platinum.9689/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-thread-for-i-color-stones.39886/

J:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-04ct-j-si2-in-platinum-tiffany-solitaire-from-niceice.12734/

K:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/platnium.11247/

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 5:46:12 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I believe Good Old Gold is located near NYC and carries a good collection of older cuts. Although I think they mostly sell ''new'' old cuts, that is, they cut new rough in the old style and the stones aren''t actually from that time period. Which may be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for.

Here''s a 3ct vintage cut cushion, L color, for 17k

Ditto this! If I were in your shoes, I would be heading directly to Good Old Gold. Their August Vintage stones are just amazing.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rick, sorry to hear about all the stressful events for you and your wife and I hated to hear about her losing her ring. I hope you can get more money from the insurance company. I agree if you go to NYC visit the PS friendly and reputable diamond dealers to see what they have. I will be anxious to see what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results