shape
carat
color
clarity

Why such a big price difference on cushion cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MattyB5576

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at a 1.52 carat D Color with SI2 clarity which looks beautiful but has a larger table then depth. We looked at a 2 carat E color GIA SI1 the other day and noticed more inclusions in that stone then the first one which is EGL cert. I have talked to the dealer and he said he could sell me the first stone for about $5,750. Is this a good deal? We are going to look at a few today. I also want to know why there is a huge price difference between the first stone and these ones . The dealer said these 3 would run in the mid $8000''s. Any advice would help please. Thank you MB

1. 1.51ct. VS2/G
2. 1.60ct. VS1/G
3. 1.60ct. VS2/G

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Matty,

Are the bottom 3 diamonds you posted GIA graded? Also if the first diamond has an EGL report, these diamonds generally carry a lower pricetag than those which are GIA or AGS graded.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 7:58:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Matty,

Are the bottom 3 diamonds you posted GIA graded? Also if the first diamond has an EGL report, these diamonds generally carry a lower pricetag than those which are GIA or AGS graded.

ditto..also, there is no cut info that you''ve given us, one might have ex/ex polish and symmentry and the other might only be a good/very good which can affect the price too.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/21/2008 8:01:47 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/21/2008 7:58:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Matty,

ditto..also, there is no cut info that you''ve given us, one might have ex/ex polish and symmentry and the other might only be a good/very good which can affect the price too.
And since the cuts of Cushions are all over the place..., it would greatly depend on its beauty, looks and appearance!

The price difference of a gorgeous Cushion vs. a non-attractive one of equal quality and size can be night and day in price difference!

So watch out...,

Cushions are A MUST SEE SHAPE!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diagem is 100% that cushions should be seen. Matty, you do have the advantage of seeing the stones in person which is great, but I also understand you''re not really sure what you should be seeing. have you looked at some of the video''s on Goodoldgolds.com''s website? they are wonderful and although it''s not the same as your own eyes you can get an idea of what a cushions can and should look like along with what really is most pleasing to your eyes. Cushions are just crazy.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 7:26:50 AM
Author:MattyB5576
I have been looking at a 1.52 carat D Color with SI2 clarity which looks beautiful but has a larger table then depth. We looked at a 2 carat E color GIA SI1 the other day and noticed more inclusions in that stone then the first one which is EGL cert. I have talked to the dealer and he said he could sell me the first stone for about $5,750. Is this a good deal? We are going to look at a few today. I also want to know why there is a huge price difference between the first stone and these ones . The dealer said these 3 would run in the mid $8000''s. Any advice would help please. Thank you MB

1. 1.51ct. VS2/G
2. 1.60ct. VS1/G
3. 1.60ct. VS2/G
This is what should matter!!! As someone who is also on the search for the perfect cushion, I can attest that you could bang you head against a wall all day trying to figure this all out! I really like what MrsS just said: CUSHIONS ARE CRAZY!! I might have to steal that for my personal motto!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2008 8:14:10 AM
Author: mrssalvo
Diagem is 100% that cushions should be seen. Matty, you do have the advantage of seeing the stones in person which is great, but I also understand you''re not really sure what you should be seeing. have you looked at some of the video''s on Goodoldgolds.com''s website? they are wonderful and although it''s not the same as your own eyes you can get an idea of what a cushions can and should look like along with what really is most pleasing to your eyes. Cushions are just crazy.
Excellent point. Sometimes even badly cut diamonds can look enticing and fit our idea of how a diamond should look, until we see a really well cut one!! The difference is then so obvious, so I would definitely suggest looking around and check out the videos on GOG''s website to see some superbly cut cushions in action!

MattyB5576

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure what the certs or the specs are on those 3 diamonds I will be seeing about 6 cushion cuts today so I should be able to compare. I knwo for a fact that color is a big thing for my girlfriend as she would not like to see much yellow which we both can notice in some of the near colorless ones. I havent checked out the video on GOG but I will before I go. Thanks for that reference. My girlfriend and I have concluded that as long as the diamond is beautiful in our eyes then that is all that matters and it doesnt really matter which paper comes with it. I am just so type A and want to get the best for my money but need to realize that I have to buy something that fits into my budget as well. Thanks for everyones help and if anyone has anymore expert advice on cushion feel free to let me know. I am always willing to learn.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think your approach is a good one. Just be sure to have your purchased check out by and independant appraiser so you can be 100% sure you are getting what you pay for
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results