shape
carat
color
clarity

Why so cheap? Anything wrong with this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikemaz

Rough_Rock
The numbers seem excellent... and the stone seems priced exceptionally well... What does everyone think of? Could it be the strong blue?

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

GIA Certified - Round Brilliant
Table: 57
Depth: 60.3
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Symetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin
Culet: None
Flourescence: Strong Blue

Sarin: Total Grade: 1
Total Dep: 60.4%
Table: 56.8%
Crown: 33.6 (33.4 - 33.7) 14.4%
Pavilion: 41.0 (40.7 - 41.2) 43.3%
Culet: 0.6% Very Small
Girdle: 1.3% (1.0-1.5%) Thin - Medium

Kindest Regards,
Mike

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It scored a 1 on the HCA. I would guess it has something to do with the Strong Blue Flor. Have you seen any pictures of the stone?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay the 7.09 to 7.15 bothers me a bit too...out of round....but the price seems in line.

mikemaz

Rough_Rock
So you think the price is line for the quality/cut? Maybe I''m just second guessing myself for no good reason.

If it is only the strong blue, I''m not too concerned about that as long as there is no haziness/cloudiness, but I''m not too concerned about that from all that I''ve read. I''m actually looking forward to the strong blue. Do you really think the 7.09-7.15 is a big range?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 2:54:04 AM
Author: mikemaz

Do you really think the 7.09-7.15 is a big range?
You could also look at these numbers for diamonds labeled H&A of comparable size for reference. Three clicks of a button away. Four hundredths of a milimeter sound... benign to me: at that level if they mean anything I would not know where to look for an explanation - with or without that, the symmetry of this piece could be great or not so great. And it is the H&A optical symmetry that carries a premium. Sarin does not tell that.

Without looking any further than the database here, the price is not that unbeleivable either - there are quite a few at 7k and this is darn close. The strong blue - even if it does not make the stone look undersirable (hazy), it would explain the couple of hundred $ discount down from that. And there is no way to prove that Pricescope lists relatively low prices, except the recurring posters saying so and the personal shopping experience of a few diamond addicts
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Not perfect but not out of line either. You seemed to think the price was too low. I dont think it is. If you want to compare I would say do a search by cut for that size and see what comes up. However if you are really intreasted in seeing the stone why not ask the vendor if he/she will snap some pictures for you. This is a major purchase. What is the return policy?

mikemaz

Rough_Rock
There is a 30-day return policy! They unfortunately won''t provide pictures.

If you guys don''t think the price is much too affordable, then I am probably worrying for no reason other then the fact that I haven''t physically seen the stone ;-).

I''m starting to feel a bit better about the purchase... and from the HCA ratings and other sources, should be a good performer.

Any other opinions are very welcome please.... I''m make sure to pose a few pics when the time comes.

Anyone have any recommendations on where I could a decent selection of some nice platinum settings at a reasonable price in Toronto Canada?

Thanks again!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Who is the vendor? Do they carry settings as well?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a recent thread on flouresence you should find.

My one concern is that the Strong Blue flouresence may make the diamond milky, cloudy, hazy, or some other detracting feature (this apparently occurs in only a few % of diamonds with strong blue floursesence). If this were the case, it would explain a substaintial price discount.

This should e apparent on inspection by an independent appraiser.

If you are still interested: I suggest you have the diamond sent directly to one of the independent appraisers here: Richard Sherwood, Denver Appriaser, Rock Doc, Marty Haske, Dave Atlas.

Let them check it out (and ask them to see if the strong blue causes any of the classic problems in a few stones).

They would then send the diamond directly to you if you for final acceptance if you are happy with their description and opinion (read the FAQ and other post for things to ask them to do so you get a good diamond). Some of these appraisers will send you, and put on the cert, an idealscope picture - very worthwhile.

Perry

mikemaz

Rough_Rock
Any other opinions on whether this diamond of this size and quality/cut is priced too low or if within range. My searches still show me that the diamond is well below market value.

A few opinions from people who have been around more then me would be appreciated, as I am a newbie!

Thanks again!
Mike

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Nice size for the price. It would be worth a look for me. Yes, the strong blue does discount the stone slightly. Most of the time it''s more mental than physical. But, do ask the vendor if the stone exhibits cloudiness, haziness in sunlight.

And, if you want to be sure - have it sent to an independent appraiser.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The variance of 7.09 to 7.15 is only making the stone have a 1 to 1.0084 ratio, ie a variance of less than 1%. This actually quite acceptable and will not be visually detectable to most eyes.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results