shape
carat
color
clarity

Why don't we see more pink diamonds?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about buying pink diamond lately in a 30 to 40 point fancy pink or purplish pink, its either that or a small 14-18 point great pink but would want the larger if it looks pink.

Why do you think people don't buy more of the rare pinks or does the size of a white diamond trump the rarity?

I notice some of the expensive large ones with some having a call for price on Leibish, wonder why none of these buyers are on Pricescope, we only seem to see the huge pinks from auctions which are reported in the media.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a size whore. I even sacrificed colorless to get a bigger stone. BUT, I think that most people gravitate to the conventional diamonds when it comes to an E-ring bc that is what they perceive society values, or that is what they grew up admiring. I have yet to see a natural pink diamond IRL. I have a .60 brownish-pink-and-who-knows-if-it's-not-enhanced diamond that I haven't bothered to send to GIA. Why? I think my jewelers said it best when he asked me, "Will knowing that it's a natural pink change your mind about what you do with it?" And the answer is no. I don't have plans to sell it either way, and it is doesn't change the way that I perceive it. I finally set it in a setting that I actually appreciate, and even then, I just don't appreciate it as much as my big ol' rock that is nowhere near colorless. Here's a picture, and that is where I'm coming from.image_3017.jpgimage_2235.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because not everyone likes coloured diamonds? Pink is also considered very girly/young, up there together with hearts, frills and unicorns.
Because marketing in the US stresses that white/colourless diamonds should be the only stone for engagement rings?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that the main reason why is because they are expensive, but I'm sure that there are all sorts of reasons (personal preference, tradition, etc.). I happen to like pink diamonds, but I wouldn't necessarily want one as an E-ring. I have a pink diamond eternity band that I sometimes wear with my e-ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinks are often cut poorly with poor clarity. I also don't care for pink as a center stone color. Find one that's well cut, good clarity, good saturation, in a size that's even remotely noticeable would be $$$, and I can think of many more variations of diamonds I'd prefer.

If Kenny was here I think he could answer you question as to why people don't want pink diamonds pretty easily.

People vary.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't want a pink diamond as my engagement ring. I would find it to be too girly. But I wouldn't say no to a band with white and pink diamonds. I think they are very pretty!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, that's an interesting observation since pink diamonds are touted to be one of the most popular fcd colours (if not the most, or perhaps the most after yellow) and we don't see them too often on PS at all. I agree with the above posters as to why.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1424439221|3835307 said:
Because not everyone likes coloured diamonds? Pink is also considered very girly/young, up there together with hearts, frills and unicorns.
Because marketing in the US stresses that white/colourless diamonds should be the only stone for engagement rings?

:D :D I guess my unicorn is in the making (just left my little pink sapphire to be set...). I will wear it as a occasional RHR however, not e-ring. And of course the price was something totally different :D

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pink diamonds are incredibly popular.
From where I sit, speaking with literally thousands of consumers, Pink diamonds are a very popular stone that people desire.
BUT- many of the questions go something like this:
"I'm looking for a nice pink diamond, around a carat. What do you have for $3000"
How about 1/2 ct of .02's?
Seriously, a nice one carat Fancy Pink is over $100k.
Pinks mixed with brown are super popular because they are affordable.

There are many poorly cut pink diamonds, but by no means all.
Imperfection is far less important in FCD's in general- and if its strong pink color, people are willing to shell out big buck for an I1 pink.
But there's also cleaner pink diamonds.
We publish all prices to assist consumers in understanding the costs of pink ( and other colored) diamonds.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
For me its price too. But i am definitely eyeing some bands or pink for halo with yellow center. I just really love pink diamonds.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the strength of color in pure pinks is just too pale to meet most buyers' expectations. And then when you roll into the strengths that match the tastes, the prices get stratospheric.

I agree that looking for pinks with darker tone modifiers is a way to get a color impact while controlling cost. Some combinations with brown can deepen the tone and be really pretty and also relatively reasonable in price.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love a pink diamond..even a small one would be ok for me..but I cannot afford one...I think they are so expensive I think alot of people dont want to pay the price..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price is the only thing that would hold me back because I would want the stone to be pink, well cut, and very good clarity. Unless you are extremely well off and can buy whatever size you want, you have to go with a small stone and then enhance it with a larger setting (and that certainly is not inexpensive, either!). One person who has succeeded in doing that extremely well is pinkjewel, who has two absolutely gorgeous pink diamond rings, the orchid by Mike Robinson and the heart by Caysie van Bebber.

_325.jpeg

pinkjewelheartcvb.jpeg

pinkjewelcvb.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also find this ring by Victor Canera to be absolutely gorgeous! But if I had to choose a pink diamond this size or a 2 ct near colorless diamond as an e-ring, I am afraid I'd have to choose the 2 ct! I'd love to have it as an extra ring, though!

_27305.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add another comment. Does anyone watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? Lisa Vanderpump wears a giant emerald cut white diamond e-ring. I mention her e-ring because it is very obvious she can afford just about anything she wants. For her birthday, last episode, her husband gave her a giant, pink haloed....sapphire or vivid pink diamond? When I first saw it, I thought for sure, this has got to be a pink sapphire because I've never seen a 10 carat VIVID PINK diamond, even online. Maybe you guys can correct me, but aren't most huge pink diamonds that are featured and touted as very rare, rarely ever the color of a pink sapphire?
Anyhow, I tried to research what kind of stone Lisa was given, but to no avail. I mention this anecdote because I think most people will assume that a diamond of a hot pink saturation is a sapphire. Even Jlo's and Mariah Carey's pink diamonds seem pretty pale. So I guess that what I'm saying is that if I could afford a vivid pink diamond, I think it would be mistaken for a pink sapphire. I realize that sapphires are very valuable as well, and maybe that's the other reason some aren't willing to shell out their big bucks for pink diamonds, because even though pink sapphires are valuable, they are not nearly as expensive as an equally hot pink diamond.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
In my opinion, it's just about what a person likes. There is something about the pale softness of pinks in diamonds that is very appealing. There are more saturated and intense coloration in sapphires and Mahenge spinels if hot pink is what you're after.

I think it really comes down to price, as to why we don't see more here on PS.

But as someone else already brought up, we mostly see colorless diamond erings around these parts. I can only remember one pink diamond ering around here recently and I don't think the end product was posted. Also, most colored diamonds are being talked about in the Colored Stones forum, rather than Rocky Talky.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
I love pink diamonds. The ring in my avatar is surrounded by heart shaped FLPs and I don't foresee ever having a ho hum feeling about it. What I really want is a 0.75+ ct. If I could afford it that puppy would be on my finger right now.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1424540271|3835986 said:
Price is the only thing that would hold me back because I would want the stone to be pink, well cut, and very good clarity. Unless you are extremely well off and can buy whatever size you want, you have to go with a small stone and then enhance it with a larger setting (and that certainly is not inexpensive, either!). One person who has succeeded in doing that extremely well is pinkjewel, who has two absolutely gorgeous pink diamond rings, the orchid by Mike Robinson and the heart by Caysie van Bebber.
That orchid ring is amazing. So AMAZING!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1424540536|3835994 said:
I also find this ring by Victor Canera to be absolutely gorgeous! But if I had to choose a pink diamond this size or a 2 ct near colorless diamond as an e-ring, I am afraid I'd have to choose the 2 ct! I'd love to have it as an extra ring, though!
I think this ring is Tristan's, a guy who used to be on PS a few years ago.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I would love to own a pink diamond, they are just wayyyyy out of my budget. If I could get 1.5 carats, I would in a heartbeat, but that isn't exactly my reality. I am sure others feel the same way.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
I think that colour is always a matter of preference, and I probably know as many people who love pink as people who hate it. That said - clearly lots of people love pink.
Since the OP is contemplating a strong 14 point pink, I'll add a picture of the line-up I bought last year (covered in another post).
It includes a 14 point fancy intense pink, which I actually bought before the stone was due to be cut down to a smaller vivid. It's got a great cut and incredible colour. Yes - it is small, it's 14 point. But it's bigger than some of the brilliant-cut clear stones I see these days in very fashionable looking engagement rings. I think that a stone like this would look fantastic in a suitable setting to somebody who loves the colour pink.

If anybody is hesitating to buy a pink because they're not sure they'll like it or something, then they probably shouldn't bother getting one. For anybody who wants one, and can afford one of whatever size, I say - go for it! You won't be disappointed if you find a good coloured example.

dsc_278.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results