shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are J color stones so cheap? Are they really yellow?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the tint color of the diamond, not all diamonds show yellow body color - some show brown and some show grey. The grey in my opinion just makes the diamond look darker not grey unless in colours further down the scale.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poogios|1438730310|3911199 said:
pfunk|1438721681|3911132 said:
Here is a video and h&a images of the stone that mrs-blop linked from blue nile. You can at least see it without taking the plunge at least. :D

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R162-JGWFCB

Thanks. I've requested an ASET so we can see how well it performs and if there's any leakage. Also thanks to mrs-blop for pointing it out in the first place. I googled the GIA number and several vendors have access to it. B2C is the cheapest at $7,360.84 via wire. I may still opt for enchanted though if they can provide ASET. Now I need to start searching for a setting.

You're welcome! It looks like a fabulous diamond for the price, and I think your fiancee would be thrilled!

Just keep in mind that - if you're now looking for ASETs to check for light leakage, you've moved a loooong way from your original brief of a stone with an HCA score less than 2.5 and not necessarily H&A - to say nothing of SI clarity and 1.4ct. A Brian Gavin diamond - which is a super ideal hearts and arrows - of similar size (1.59), slightly less clarity (SI1), and only one color grade whiter - is over $14,000. If the 1.62 ct J VS2 stone has only minimal leakage, then I'd be more than happy with that if I could save almost $7k.

I hope this all works out perfectly for you and that you get something stunning. :)

D_

Shiny_Rock
Wow, well done mrs-blop & pfunk!!
I stayed away from BN before because I find their inventory size overwhelming & it's scary to be buying blind.
For some reason I thought their vendors can only list their diamonds at BN. :confused:
Looks like there's a much better way of doing it, find ones w/ good specs, google the report #s and look for/request light performance images at B2C & Enchanted Diamonds and voila - savings!
And unless we spend lotsa time comparing diamonds irl like ppl in trade do, tbh I find it challenging noticing subtle differences between ideal cuts and super ideal H&A anyway. Perhaps, it's more for the mind vs the eyes? But $7k difference (about double), that's pretty insane... (but then again, people who shop at Tiffany are not buying the diamonds only, they are buying the brand...)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
poogios|1438704065|3911023 said:
lknvrb4|1438681795|3910901 said:
I guess some J's could be really yellow but mine is not. I am extremely happy with my J. It scores well on the HCA tool and honestly is so sparkly, even in the dark with a little light those hearts and arrows are showing.
Here is a link to my diamond and I would honestly give Id Jewelry a call because they will work within whatever budget you are looking for.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/id-jewelry-found-me-a-winner.211027/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/id-jewelry-found-me-a-winner.211027/[/URL]

That's a lovely ring but I'm wondering if its exhibiting the over blue effect. It's readily apparent in the gym shot and seems to be causing some milkiness/hazy.

Outdoors in the snow it also seems to show this effect though much less pronounced. But maybe it's just reflecting the blue form the snow/sky?

Other than that it looks awesome and any tint is very marginal. While you might not want to mention the price you paid could you tell me if it would be within my budget?

My diamond was within your budget and in real life, I have never thought my diamond to look milky/hazy. That usually happens with colorless diamonds and fluorescence.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond suppliers have stones listed with hundreds of vendors, so that is why you see the same stones listed at multiple vendors.

I would go with that 1.62 ct J VS2 stone from B2C Jewels if you can pay by wire. $7100 is a great price.

Incidentally, there are price jumps between all color grades in the colorless to near colorless grades.

Any 6 prong setting should be fine. People set J color stones in them every day. I wouldn't spend $2000 on a solitaire setting if I were you.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the EnchantedDiamonds video of that 1.62ct J-VS2 (link on 1st page of this thread), there does appear to be a darkish crystal on its face (in the apx 4 o'clock position)... you may want to confirm it is eyeclean to your preference.

mns12

Shiny_Rock
And Poogios, if you are definitely interested in that 1.62 J I would put it on reserve! Lurkers are known to come on here and grab recommendations.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mns12|1438790578|3911486 said:
And Poogios, if you are definitely interested in that 1.62 J I would put it on reserve! Lurkers are known to come on here and grab recommendations.

This for sure!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
mns12|1438790578|3911486 said:

Another vote for reserving the stone. :wavey:

poogios

Rough_Rock
Should I be suspicious if they can't provide ASET or Idealscope? On the HCA tool the 1.62 scores a 1.8 but only gets an excellent for light return and very good for everything else.

I'm leaning towards the 1.52 instead since it has IS and ASET. There's some light loss where all the twinning wisps are but it still has good performance overall. HCA is 0.7 and it gets Excellent marks in light return, fire and scintillation.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poogios -

The way the HCA works is that a score of 2 is a generalized cut off level - no more and no less. If you read the tutorial about it you'll see that there is no benefit once you go below 2. It's not a case of '0 is better than .5', or '1.2 is better than 1.7'. Once you get below 2, the HCA has done its work.

The choice is yours, of course, but I very much doubt you'd be able to see a difference in performance between the two stones. You probably would, however, notice a slight different in size.

And no - there is -zero- reason to be 'suspicious' about not getting an ASET or an Idealscope. They're helpful tools and are popular within Pricescope, and we often seem to treat them as though it's an essential in judging a diamond. The truth is that, outside of PS, most people haven't heard of them. There is a photo of the 1.62 stone, and images showing you the exact faceting. It has lovely specs. Past that, in my opinion, you're talking about 'collector's perfection', whereas I suspect your girl might be more interested in size. And pls be aware - that stone is not a 'compromise'; it's a beauty of a stone, and it's hefty to boot!

Having said that, the 1.52 is also a lovely stone. Both stones have excellent specs and terrific faceting. I doubt you'd see a difference between them in real life, in which case it comes down to a question of money and size.

HOWEVER, one thing you might want to consider is fluorescence. The 1.62 has strong fluorescence, which will probably give it the appearance of being slightly whiter, whereas the 1.52 has none. For me, I'd be looking for something to make a J colored stone look as white as possible and give it every advantage, and the J color + fluorescence combo is very popular here on PS.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
May I suggest though that the reason J + flouro is a popular choice here because it is a USA-centric forum, and Americans love their big rocks. In the UK 0.75ct stones are big...

D-F stones can cost an absolute fortune especially past 1ct, but are more accessible if you're not going for a 1.5+ct big rock.

Am not personally a fan of strong flouro or non-colourless stones. Cut is indeed king, but all things being equal there is a visual difference, even face up, between colourless and lightly tinted stones. Face up, a D is a brilliant "ice" white and a J is warmer. There is a certain "see through" quality with colourless diamonds. Some people will prefer either, lots of people love fancy colours etc., lots of this is down to personal taste.

poogios

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop
I'm just wondering what the difference is between a stone with a HCA score .6 vs one that scores 1.6. Is one shallower or something? They tend to score ex in brightness, fire and scint so maybe it's just possible angle combos that lead to the numbers. However these different combos still produce the same look?

The strong fluorescence is a bit of a concern still. Some seem to have a bluish tint and to my eyes that makes them appear a little hazy. I may just have to order the diamond and see what it looks like in person. I still can't find any well cut Js with med or strong fluoro or even without any. But I'm not sure if vendors will like shipping out stone hoping their customer will like it and not return it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poogios -

Call Blue Nile. Ask them to contact the vendor to ask him/her if the fluorescence causes a haze in the stone. They'll be honest with you.

The cheapest option is still via B2Cjewels, who are offering this stone for under $7k.

Ahhh - did you buy the stone, Poogios?? I just looked for it, and it's gone. I really hope you didn't miss out on it!

DBH

Rough_Rock
RE: Tulip design shank. James Allen has an engagement ring style called the "Cathedral Arch" (also by Danhov) #17314P that is quite similar to the tulip design but eliminates the open area. Might be a good alternative.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results