shape
carat
color
clarity

Why are FICs so hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been scouring the PS search looking for FICs and they seem pretty few and far between. I''m curious why...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It's a unique set of proportions that yields a FIC. There was a discussion a while back where CutNut and DiamonBob discussed what to look for.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fic-proportions.9305/

Hope this helps!
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks PQ!

I've known what to look for, but in 8 months of searching, I've only just found ONE! It seems like a fab stone, but unfortunately, much larger than what I want. I've found a second that comes close, but isn't quite an FIC.

I did look at that other thread in your link, sounds like DCD might be the spot to keep looking (that's where I found the one I mentioned too). Wish I could see it in person, just to get an idea what it looks like compared to TICs...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nature, my friends, is stronger than mankind.

A FIC has a combination of a rather shallow pavilion with a steep crown-angle and a high crown.

So, you need a rough stone, that is rather flat on one side (where the pavilion comes, while it maintains a high diameter on the other side (so that you can get a steep and high crown).

In reality, you will not find many such rough stones.

Of course, one could also use a rough stone with a less shallow pavilion-side, and just cut it more shallow. But that sounds very un-economical to me, and that is why you hardly find such a FIC.

This could change if people would start paying immense premiums for such a stone. So, if you are ready for that, just let me know.

Live long,

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who have seen the TIC and the FIC side by side, how noticeable is the difference? Can you describe the difference?

Thanks!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
AHA!!! Paul, thanks so much for your reply, I guess I never thought about how the rough dictates the cut... thanks for clarifying.

As soon as I win that elusive lotto, I'll be in touch for you to custom cut that for me!!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results