shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold Turning Yellow.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if it''s just my eyesight or what..but it seems that my 14k white gold setting has taken on a yellowish hue. It''s just a tempo. setting anyway but I don''t want it to happen with the perma setting that I get later on. Is it just me or is there something in it that makes it happen over time? A very short period of time at that.
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Oh awesome! I had no idea about all of the percentages in there. Thank you very much. I am assuming that they can replate without removing the stones?

Sorry..I know absolutely nothing about this kind of stuff. But it''s very interesting.
1.gif

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Just curious.....how would this process work if you had channel set sidestones on your ring?

Also, the ring I purchased is in 18k white gold, does the same hold true with the yellowing?

Last question....would the frequency of cleaning have a positive or negative effect on this?

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

1 more question.....about how much does this process cost?

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 11:38:58 AM
Author: Feydakin
No need at all to replicate the ring.. Unless you really want a new one..

All you need to do is go to your jewelr and ask to have your ring replated.. They will need to keep it for a while to fit their schedule, but the process only takes about 15 minutes if they aren''t busy.. Say 5 minutes in the ultra sonic.. Then a quick rough polish, back to the ultrasonic, then a quick high polish, then back tothe ultrasonic, then a trip through the electrocleaner, then a rinse, and plate.. Rinse one more time and steam.. All done and it looks just like it did when it was brand new..

Also, if you wash your hands often, especially with an abrasive cleaner, take off your ring before you wash your hands.. It will help the plating last longer..
Wow, what a process. It''s amazing that it only takes about 15 minutes. If you hadn''t have said how long the process usually takes I would have guessed a couple of hours
37.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, I called a couple of places in the SF Bay Area, and the price range for a rhodium plating on a wg bracelet ranged from $30-50. Nobody below $30. And it only took 30 min (jeweler was multitasking and doing other things).

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 1:26:58 PM
Author: Feydakin
Can I bill you for 2 hours and still do it in 15 minutes???
27.gif

Seriously, any well staffed jeweler can do this for you quickly and easily.. It doesn''t matter what type of settingyou have, or how many diamonds.. Colored stones may take a little longer to do simply because many of them can''t or shouildn''t be subjected to the ultrasonic.. So the cleaning process between each step will take a little longer..
lol, now if you hadn''t have told me that it took 15 +/- then I would have said "sure"!
31.gif

But really..that is pretty cool. I didn''t know that you could replate without taking everything apart..as far as the diamonds are concerned. But let me ask this...I don''t have two toned jewelry..but if I did want to have something replated that was both yellow and white gold..how would they do that without messing with the yellow? Or would they just polish it off of the yellow gold after it was replated?

Sorry for the fifty million questions
9.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
LOL...why not a nice french manicure???
9.gif

Cool beans...I wonder if anyone would ever let me watch that process...hmm..a friend of ours is a jeweler so maybe I can ask him sometime. Thanks for all the replys.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results