shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would YOU choose..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you had the option of spending the same amount on a slightly bigger (a full millimeter bigger) or adding nice side stones to your current center stone, which would you go with?

Presently going with both is not an option. Im not even sure when this option will materialize...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
definitely bigger solitaire stone. Hands down. No questions asked. But- that''s my opinion.

I would rather put all money into one sparkly stone than several small ones.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
bigger center...let the center of attention be the center of attention.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
DITTO! Hands down.
A full mm is a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.gif

And WWHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY might we be asking the question???

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I would go with the bigger center stone because that''s really the focal point.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I figured as much....

It''s something we have discussed off and on. Im nervous about adding sidestones even if I love the look.

Then again I want both...not financially feasable yet though.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Ame- have you tried on three stone rings yet? If you haven''t, it might be an eye-opening experience. Maybe you would hate the look or maybe you''d love it. Might make your choice easier...

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for a different look?

Or are you wanted to add more "umph" and sparkle?

If it''s just a different look than a solitare - I''m going to go against the tide here and say add sidestones.

If you like the solitare look -but thought sidestones would give more umph and sparkle -then.. I''d say - just go w/bigger solitare..

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HMM a full mm bigger is pretty darn big!!!! So what is that, going from a 5.9mm to a 6.9mm or similar? YUM! And hello that is huge! That''d be like a .75c stone to a 1.20c stone!

BUT I will say that the diamond monster is not always satisfied. I think sidestones do add alot of UMPH to a solitaire and it will take up more room across your finger.

Go into a store and try on some stuff, get a better idea of what you really like on your hand!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 1:31:04 PM
Author: Mara

Go into a store and try on some stuff, get a better idea of what you really like on your hand!
Ditto
I dont think anyone can answer this but yourself for yourself.
Id add some nice sapphires to the sides and call it a day :}

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look of both but yea I need to go try it on. Maybe Ill go pester Tiffany''s about it. hehe.

Mara--its going from 6mm to almost 7mm.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on what I was trying to accomplish. I might be tempted by a HALO!!!! I have a lot of real estate on my ring finger and I''d like to fill it up somehow! That said, the best "investment" in the future is probably a larger solitaire. I''m not always a fan of side stones, with the possible exception of baquettes.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the bigger center stone. That will have the biggest impact in my eyes.

Note that the mm area face up of a 6mm round is [are we dealing with round or did I miss something?]
3**2*3.1415 = 28.3

Note that the mm area face up of a 7mm round is
3.5**2*3.1415 = 38.6

That is an increase of face up surface area of almost 36%! Quite a bit!

If I still wanted sides I''d do it later.

Blu

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Ame,

I would go with the larger center stone. But you would have to try on the three stone look to see for yourself. Maybe you'll like that look better, who knows? You won't until you see it yourself! Have fun!

BTW, what kind of sides are we talking about?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I added two .50 each sides to my 2.1+ center thinking I'd be happy. WRONG. LOL...It does add... but takes away at the same time, know what I mean? I'd much rather have a larger center and a nice thin diamond band...
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote bigger center too. i think it's a great idea to go and try some on. i had considered adding pear sides to my solitaire a while back and after I tried some on they just didn't look right on my hand.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely bigger center. But I agree with those that advise you to go try on some 3-stone rings and see how you feel. Let us know what you decide!

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, are you talking about upgrading your current stone????

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Again, yea. We go back and forth on it. Some days I don''t want to but some days I do.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
You could do both (SOMEDAY of course, so as not to give your husband a coronary).

31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
31.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Bigger (in the center) is better in my opinion!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 3:00:28 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I vote bigger center too. i think it''s a great idea to go and try some on. i had considered adding pear sides to my solitaire a while back and after I tried some on they just didn''t look right on my hand.
MrsSalvo and I are always on the same page.
2.gif

When I was debating about trading up my 0.72ct rb, I went into a jewelry store and tried on some 3 stone rings with an approx. .75ct as the center to see if I would like the look. I liked it but still wanted that center to be bigger, so I wound up trading up for my current 1.04ct.

I went from a 5.85mm to a 6.61mm. It isn''t even a full mm but to me the size difference was significant enough to make me happy.
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
that 1 mm is pretty sizeable- I think I would go for that too! But like has been mentioned, probably best to go and try on some rings (if you need an excuse to do so
2.gif
)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well we went at lunch, my intern and I, and I tried it on. Its pretty, just as pretty as a solitare. It did not really push me over to try on the three stone. Really it made the whole thing HARDER! Great!

I think thinking about it all day has me agreeing that I want to upgrade the size just slightly. I don''t really want to be bigger than the size I am debating over, which is 7mmish. I felt above that looked odd on me. Maybe far off when I am old and can pull off the huge rock...maybe Ill make that huge rock out of my late husband?? And have it yellow or blue? I feel like we can swing that price jump. He''s a little uneasy now. I bet he''s sentimentally attached to the one I have now.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I''m attached to my present stone too so I''d rather add side stones to it than get a new stone altogether. But a bigger solitaire would probably have a bigger impact than a 3-stone with the old center stone.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think 3-stone rings are beautiful - and there are sure some gorgeous ones here on PS, for sure.

But my vote definitely goes for a larger center stone. To me, there is just something so magical about one big, perfect diamond. *yum!*

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results