shape
carat
color
clarity

Which vender and setting for five stone ring?

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Friends, now I need help again in where to buy a five-stone ring and what setting I should go with. Please help me decide :mrgreen:

First the setting:
U-prong: I like seeing the stone exposed from side, but am really concerned that the stone would get loose like some people say; so here's my question: does anyone who purchased a U-prong from BGD or WF or ID ever experienced the problem of stone coming loose?
Trellis: I am afraid that the prongs will extend to two sides; also one thing that I don't want is for the setting/prongs to add space in between the diamonds. From some pictures that I saw, it appears that some WF Trellis would do that.
shared prong: I am not sure I would like to see so much metal on the side and I'm afraid that the metal on the side will block the light.
Open basket/gallery: I don't have much to say about this one, but was thining if this setting will turn out to be the highest. Don't like it to be high....Also, I only saw it on BGD website. Although I'm sure WF or ID could make it, can I completely trust vendors who do not make such settings on a regular basis, and this would cause a problem if I want to return?

Then, vendors. I feel that WF is just slightly more expensive than the BGD; then yesterday I found people talking about/suggesting ID jewelry to some other PSers. ID is significantly less expensive, and it seems that they could provide GIA report and choose stones of 3exs for you? At the same time, I also found two threads that report lost stones in ID paved setting and problems with 5-stone U-prong (although they fixed it).

Question: We could still afford to go to WF or BGD for their price, but I don't feel there's reason to spend more if ID Jewelry is just as good or very close. Some have indicated that "lower price" always mean "lower quality", yet reaction to ID seems to be mostly postive here. What should I go with?

Sorry for my wordiness; please help me decide =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fantasyxy|1304609121|2912983 said:
Friends, now I need help again in where to buy a five-stone ring and what setting I should go with. Please help me decide :mrgreen:

First the setting:
U-prong: I like seeing the stone exposed from side, but am really concerned that the stone would get loose like some people say; so here's my question: does anyone who purchased a U-prong from BGD or WF or ID ever experienced the problem of stone coming loose?
Trellis: I am afraid that the prongs will extend to two sides; also one thing that I don't want is for the setting/prongs to add space in between the diamonds. From some pictures that I saw, it appears that some WF Trellis would do that.
shared prong: I am not sure I would like to see so much metal on the side and I'm afraid that the metal on the side will block the light.
Open basket/gallery: I don't have much to say about this one, but was thining if this setting will turn out to be the highest. Don't like it to be high....Also, I only saw it on BGD website. Although I'm sure WF or ID could make it, can I completely trust vendors who do not make such settings on a regular basis, and this would cause a problem if I want to return?

Then, vendors. I feel that WF is just slightly more expensive than the BGD; then yesterday I found people talking about/suggesting ID jewelry to some other PSers. ID is significantly less expensive, and it seems that they could provide GIA report and choose stones of 3exs for you? At the same time, I also found two threads that report lost stones in ID paved setting and problems with 5-stone U-prong (although they fixed it).

Question: We could still afford to go to WF or BGD for their price, but I don't feel there's reason to spend more if ID Jewelry is just as good or very close. Some have indicated that "lower price" always mean "lower quality", yet reaction to ID seems to be mostly postive here. What should I go with?

Sorry for my wordiness; please help me decide =)

From everything I've heard quality of workmanship & finish will be higher from WF & BGD... you are paying a premium for that workmanship, and for signature melee if you go that route. For a ring, which is examined at very close range, I would go w/ one of these two if you have the budget - for something like earrings, which are only admired from afar, I'd say go w/ IDJ and save a little.

If you are quoted drastically different quotes (say over a 10%diff between the two) ask for a breakdown and that will give you a better idea of what the differences are and where the costs are going - on one project my initial WF quote was almost double my BGD quote - which was explained when I looked at the details.

I would trust either of them to do custom work, but if you're looking for a specific aesthetic be sure to convey that in more detail rather than less - pictures and more pictures, and lots of labels and notes..

With well-cut stones you don't need to worry about trellis vs basket vs single prong/whatever blocking enough light to visibly affect light return - this would only be a concern w/ stones that allow significant light escape through the pavilion. ETA: two different 5stone styles in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-perfect-5-stone-trellis-design-from-whiteflash.154045/#post-2802599#p2802599']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-perfect-5-stone-trellis-design-from-whiteflash.154045/#post-2802599#p2802599[/URL] that really highlights some details

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Excellent. Thank you very much Yssie.
BTW love your three-stone; probably the first thing that drew me to this forum

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww thank you :))

I just went through your other threads, I think the 5stone is a great idea since you've already got that lovely solitaire :sun:

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

I have questions again... for color selection.

Would an E/F color five stone look whiter than one with all Gs? Provided that cuts are all ideal, HCA<2 etc etc.?

The E/F color that I could pick up from the WF inventory are $1300 more expensive than possible G combinations. Not sure if it's worth it. I know color is not that noticeable in small stones, but what about five 0.3c lined up?

I know for sure that my three-stone (F color) is definitely whiter than my H princess in most situations. No experience with G color and I'm hesitant again. Is the color difference worth the price jump? I am so incapable of making decisions :confused:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesses IMO show body colour more face-up than RBs. You wouldn't note that 5 small stones all lined up show more tint when put together in a row than one small stone - larger stones show more colour because there are more layers of tinted material to see through from crown to pavilion, which is not the case when you're just lining up lots of small stones.

Whether it's worth it... to me, no. But to some others, yes! If you don't find the colour of your H princess objectionable then I don't see why you'd pay more for higher colour, but if you want the mind-clean-ness of knowing your stones are colourless then that's a different debate altogether. My guess is that the vast, vast majority of people could not pick out the differences between 0.3 G and F RBs once set if their lives depended on it, but I won't say none because you might just be that one in a thousand or whatever it is..!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
G's are great. I have all G .32 BGD signatures and they are white as anything. They are set next to 10 pointers that are F, can't tell the difference. Save that money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results