shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Round Brilliant Would You Buy?

Vacillator

Rough_Rock
I'm torn between two stones I found online. I like the first stone for its higher clarity and the fact that I can purchase this diamond and my girlfriend's favorite setting from the same place, thus saving me some hassle and a few bucks.

The second diamond appeals to me because of its medium blue fluorescence, and I'd be lying if I said having a 1 carat stone wasn't a nice psychological bonus. It's SI2 but the vendor's gemologist claims its 100% eye clean, which if true, is all I care about.

Either one would be going into a bezel setting with H minimum micropave halo stones. So what's your preference?

The first diamond:
.85 Carat; AGS Ideal 0; I Color; VS2 Clarity
HCA Score: 1.2
Depth: 61.8
Table: 54.7
Crown: 34.3*
Pavilion: 40.8*
Measurements: 6.08x6.12x3.77
Fluorescence: Negligible
Price: $4,200

stone1_3.jpg
stone2.jpg
stone3.jpg
stone4_0.jpg

And the second:
1.00 Carat; GIA Excellent; I Color; SI2 Clarity
HCA Score: 0.6
Depth: 61.3
Table: 56
Crown: 34*
Pavilion: 40.6*
Measurements: 6.45x6.42x3.94
Fluorescence: Med Blue
Price: $4,300

6219081.jpg
55273654_hearts.jpg
55273654.jpg
6219081_aset_image.jpg
6219081_ideal_scope_image.jpg

krisjon

Shiny_Rock
What are the second vendor's standards for "eye clean?"
At what distance?
Unless it's a Whiteflash or Brian Gavin-caliber vendor, you need to find this out before simply taking their word for it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
The second one looks interesting. If the inclusions in the table area are lower, toward the culet, that will be better than located up higher near the top of the table. If they are up higher, they might be seen as "floating" in there when the stone is viewed from an angle. But if the HCA score is good and it's eyeclean enough to suit you and her, I agree that having the larger size might offset the inclusions. I own SI2 and I1 diamonds. If they are beautifully cut, and you have to study them a bit to find the inclusions, I think they are a great value. At some point the newness wears off and you quit looking at the stone all the time. Perfection in cut is important to me, but absolute eyeclean is not.

eta: I have an I color diamond with strong blue. It faces up very white, all the time. However, I can, after years of being on Pricescope, detect the slight ivory color from the side. But it doesn't bother me at all. When I first bought that diamond, I didn't see any tint at all. But the more you study and learn, the more you pick up on subtle differences.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
This is from another thread but it's what I call "high" in the table area. Viewed perpendicular to the table, it's not so bad. But when watch the stone rotate and you see the inclusion. If it were low it the stone, down near the culet, it would not bother me much. (The inclusion in my SI2 is low, and I can only see it part of the time, and even then, it's not obvious.)
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-2-02-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-11RQ56

The second diamond you showed is on that "needs to be seen" category. Ask more questions, or get pictures, or buy it with a return privilege if you can't see it in person. But those inclusions look small to me and I think they might hide pretty well is an approx 6.5mm stone.

Vacillator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the insight. No eye-clean standard at the second vendor--just their word. I've got 30 days to return if I'm not happy after inspecting it in person. I'm leaning toward the second stone for the reasons mentioned and that it seems to be nicely cut.

My other concern is whether the G/H melee halo stones and the I color center stone will be noticeably different in color. I was told that the med blue fluor won't have any whitening effect at all and that the bezel/halo setting will cause the center stone to face up darker since the outer circumference is enclosed.

I suppose these are just things I'll have to see for myself.

Here is the setting: http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/bezel-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-palladium/4757

Vacillator

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean about the inclusion being 'high on the table' in the diamond you referenced. This is where it would be helpful to have a 3D image or at least photos from other angles. I'll be sure to note the location of the inclusions when I inspect it.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
The rough rule of thumb is don't have more than 2 grades color difference between center stone and sidestones. The other thing is that mele' stones always have a different appearance from the center. Probably G/H and an I with medium blue should be a decent match. Before you buy, look at the vendor's shipping / return / upgrade /buyback policies and all of the deadlines for the same, especially if you have to mail the ring a long distance. I bought from Good Old Gold, and one of the reasons was they have a liberal tradeup policy and also a buyback policy.

Vacillator

Rough_Rock
I'll probably end up sourcing the setting locally so I can see it together in person before having it mounted. The vendor has a 30 day return window and a lifetime upgrade program, minus a 20% restocking fee. That isn't the best upgrade policy but I don't really anticipate upgrading the center stone at any point.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I would try for the larger stone to see if it's eye clean enough for you. I think if it is, it's worth the nice jump! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Vacillator

Rough_Rock
Well, it took a long time but the ring is finally complete and on her finger. I went with the 1.0 carat loose diamond and everything went smoothly with the purchase process from b2cjewels.com (The purchase of the setting is another story). I was very happy with my independent appraisal as well. The stone is totally clean to my untrained naked eye, with lots of sparkle and fire. Very satisfied with the color as well, as it seems to blend nicely with the side stones.

The setting is a Ritani halo micropave half eternity band in palladium.

Btw, Rio from b2cjewels was great to work with--very patient and responsive to all my requests. Highly recommend.

Thanks to all for your input. Without further ado, here it is:

img_20141211_184551.jpg

img_20141211_185124.jpg

img_20141211_185609.jpg

download_20141215_204432.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results