shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these two cushions would you choose?

Which of these two cushions would you choose?

• I choose the right

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Two cushions offered by two different vendors, which stone would you prefer?
Please explain the reasoning behind your choice.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
I know the one on the right is the stone I just bought and had set.

The one on the left is probably the same exact stone with a white aset. At least looks like it to me, so seems like a trick question, why not present that as an option?

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Where did you get the white aset of my rock from? Obviously must have been before it was sold to me.

If the thinly veiled message was: do white aset's show leakage better than black ones, why not just present it that way?

I also think it shows that depending on who is taking the ASET they can have some definite differences, even regardless of the white or black background(black one shows red in areas that the white one shows nothing, as well as differences in green/red).

I still contend that asets for fancy shapes are useful, but seeing it in person is very helpful as well.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White bkgd aset wins every time - blue head-contrast and black leakage are sometimes indistinguishable.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
they look like the same stone - think the black makes it look better though

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is a clear example of why vendors should use white backgrounds for ASETs. The black background really blurs the white and makes it more difficult to assess the light performance. Appreciate you sharing the photos as this is the first time I saw the same diamond with ASETs on a white versus black background.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 8:16:27 PM
Author: ccb0x45
Where did you get the white aset of my rock from? ...
It is possible it is not yours, this style of cushion seems to be pretty consistent accross different rocks that I have seen. But maybe CCL will clarify later.

On another note, I agree that white background is MUCH clearer wrt the optics.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
No... its not possible its not mine, at least the black aset. It is the picture I posted to the original comparison thread, its sitting in my email inbox right now from when I first received it. Just curious where he got the white aset from and when it was taken, since the stone was just graded at the end of february and I bought it in march, would be kinda weird if he got the guy who is setting it to take an ASET.

Here is the reason ASETs seem unpredictable *to me*, I understand the white background makes it easier to differentiate obstruction/leakage from what might be contrast. However it shouldn''t change which areas show up red. As you can see there is certain areas that are definitely red/green in the black picture, but white in the white picture... This seems like the exact angle the ASET is taken at matters, it also makes me think with stones of these types(and after watching GOG AVC videos) the mains can light up at different angles. Like on my stone which I have seen, the mains light up depending on how it is tilted, granted with mine, different parts of each main light up depending on the tilt.

With GOG AVCs on the video at least, you can see certain parts of the mains light up as well depending on the tilt, some AVCs the entire maltese cross lights up together, but sometimes just the right and top will light up at one angle, and the bottom and left at another, yet on their ASET its all red on the maltese cross, even when the video shows them lighting up in a different pattern. Just seems like to me that while their stones have great light performance which contributes to a great ASET, they are also great at taking ASETs to make them look better in ASET comparisons.

Just food for thought, maybe I am wrong but take it what its worth.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 3:35:56 AM
No... its not possible its not mine, at least the black aset. It is the picture I posted to the original comparison thread, its sitting in my email inbox right now from when I first received it. Just curious where he got the white aset from and when it was taken, since the stone was just graded at the end of february and I bought it in march, would be kinda weird if he got the guy who is setting it to take an ASET.

Here is the reason ASETs seem unpredictable *to me*, I understand the white background makes it easier to differentiate obstruction/leakage from what might be contrast. However it shouldn't change which areas show up red. As you can see there is certain areas that are definitely red/green in the black picture, but white in the white picture... This seems like the exact angle the ASET is taken at matters, it also makes me think with stones of these types(and after watching GOG AVC videos) the mains can light up at different angles. Like on my stone which I have seen, the mains light up depending on how it is tilted, granted with mine, different parts of each main light up depending on the tilt.

With GOG AVCs on the video at least, you can see certain parts of the mains light up as well depending on the tilt, some AVCs the entire maltese cross lights up together, but sometimes just the right and top will light up at one angle, and the bottom and left at another, yet on their ASET its all red on the maltese cross, even when the video shows them lighting up in a different pattern. Just seems like to me that while their stones have great light performance which contributes to a great ASET, they are also great at taking ASETs to make them look better in ASET comparisons.

Most definitely. ASET image is only accurate at whatever angle the scope was oriented relative to the diamond (image on AGS report is not a still picture, so that is not included in this statement)

Then, if you can see the stone is tilted and you see red in the side that is clearly tilted away, you know that that area is going to stay red when the stone is directly perpendicular (perhaps the area closest to the fulcrum will be blue) so that is a good sign.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 3:42:35 AM
Author: yssie

Here is the reason ASETs seem unpredictable *to me*, I understand the white background makes it easier to differentiate obstruction/leakage from what might be contrast. However it shouldn't change which areas show up red. As you can see there is certain areas that are definitely red/green in the black picture, but white in the white picture... This seems like the exact angle the ASET is taken at matters, it also makes me think with stones of these types(and after watching GOG AVC videos) the mains can light up at different angles. Like on my stone which I have seen, the mains light up depending on how it is tilted, granted with mine, different parts of each main light up depending on the tilt.

Most definitely. ASET image is only accurate at whatever angle the scope was oriented relative to the diamond (image on AGS report is not a still picture, so that is not included in this statement)

Then, if you can see the stone is tilted and you see red in the side that is clearly tilted away, you know that that area is going to stay red when the stone is directly perpendicular (perhaps the area closest to the fulcrum will be blue) so that is a good sign.

But why would the white asset not even show red in some of the areas of the black, is that because the aset's were taken at different angles?

EDIT: Also strange to me CCL has posted twice since his original post on other threads today, but won't clarify this one.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 1:09:45 PM

Date: 6/23/2010 3:42:35 AM

Here is the reason ASETs seem unpredictable *to me*, I understand the white background makes it easier to differentiate obstruction/leakage from what might be contrast. However it shouldn''t change which areas show up red. As you can see there is certain areas that are definitely red/green in the black picture, but white in the white picture... This seems like the exact angle the ASET is taken at matters, it also makes me think with stones of these types(and after watching GOG AVC videos) the mains can light up at different angles. Like on my stone which I have seen, the mains light up depending on how it is tilted, granted with mine, different parts of each main light up depending on the tilt.

But why would the white asset not even show red in some of the areas of the black, is that because the aset''s were taken at different angles?

EDIT: Also strange to me CCL has posted twice since his original post on other threads today, but won''t clarify this one.
I would like to let a few more posters give their opinions and vote before I give my input in this thread.
The comments have been great thus, I will post more soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 1:09:45 PM

But why would the white asset not even show red in some of the areas of the black, is that because the aset's were taken at different angles?

EDIT: Also strange to me CCL has posted twice since his original post on other threads today, but won't clarify this one.
ccb - they look very similar to me - see pic, whites and neutrals darkened and stone reoriented

ETA: I'm pretty sure this is a thread on ASET scope images and CCL is not out to get you or your stone..

CCLsASETScopyGREYF.jpg

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Its just weird, he somehow gets an ASET of my stone, after getting in a huge debate with me, and after being very rude to me in another thread. And then posts this thread pretending that the two pictures are two different stones. And when I ask where he got the white ASET of the rock currently being set for me, he ignores me of course while responding to other threads on the main thread. I just think hes weird to take my ASET and somehow get a white ASET of my stone and go through all this trouble to get a comparison thread. I just find it hard to believe he hasnt read this thread since I posted since he read a couple others.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
It is just a comparison of two aset images and looking at the differences between a white and black background. Let's not make this into a personal attack and just look at it from an educational perspective. For me, it tells me that I will always request a well taken white background aset over a black. I don't think it really matters where the aset image comes from. I highly doubt anyone is stalking you or tracking down your jewelers.

On a more positive note, when is your ring going to be done? Mine are taking what seems like forever!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I wouldn''t choose either based just on an ASET. I''d want pictures and video to help me to decide. Really there is no good way for me to decide something like a cushion without seeing more of it than just this.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 8:45:30 PM
Author: clgwli
Honestly I wouldn''t choose either based just on an ASET. I''d want pictures and video to help me to decide. Really there is no good way for me to decide something like a cushion without seeing more of it than just this.

If it matters, when my GF picked this stone, she had it shipped out and had seen it in person which is where she liked it so much.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 7:50:19 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
It is just a comparison of two aset images and looking at the differences between a white and black background. Let's not make this into a personal attack and just look at it from an educational perspective. For me, it tells me that I will always request a well taken white background aset over a black. I don't think it really matters where the aset image comes from. I highly doubt anyone is stalking you or tracking down your jewelers.

On a more positive note, when is your ring going to be done? Mine are taking what seems like forever!

I never said it was a personal attack, I said it was very strange how he was able to get a white asset of my stone somehow three weeks after I bought it, when it was never shipped anywhere. My point is there is 3 possibilities here:

1. He found a white aset of my exact stone somewhere when it was being sourced from a different vendor.
2. He had who is setting my stone take an aset of it.
3. Its a doctored version of the black aset where he replaced the colors similar to the white to black version earlier in this thread.

If its number 1, credit to him for somehow tracking down someone else who sourced the exact same diamond, just based on I guess the cert number, and finding that they had already taken a white aset, would have been helpful to me earlier if he knew there was multiple vendors selling the same stone, but its not like it matters at this point, I was just curious who it was.

If its number 2, thats a really weird thing to do, and annoying to me that he would do it.

If its number three then its obviously not a good comparison because its not a real aset, but just a doctored one.

Anyways, in each experience ive had with him on these forums, when I told him I didnt choose based on his preferences, or when I told him he was being a complete ass to me for no reason, or now when I just simply asked where he got the white version of my rock from, he retreats to saying nothing, and you usually come in and defend him(as you did the last two times, because you guys are friends, which is fine) and last time stated that he probably wasn't answering because his posts would be lost with pricescope 2.0, which clearly isnt the case because he is responding to other threads but not this one.

Anyways, the most likely scenario seems like he just converted the colors in the picture to white based on how close it is, which is all I was trying to find out originally, because in that case its a horrible comparison. The lesser likely scenarios make him seem like a very strange guy with too much time on his hands to either contact my setter or go on a manhunt based on my cert image to find that diamond. I guess its possible the aset just landed in his lap by another vendor trying to prove something or sell the stone, but seeing as its been sold for a month, I find it unlikely.

Not trying to be an ass, but does it really not seem odd to anyone else? Maybe im just crazy but based on how ive seen the guy mention how extensive his "research" is it doesn't seem that crazy.

Anyways the ring should be done this week and my GF and I are extremely excited to see it, they finished making the setting, setting the diamonds, and are now doing the engraving(which there is a lot of engraving work on it, but should be done by tomorrow if all goes well.

Edit: I just realized I said anyways 3 times, jeez I gotta work on my writing abilities.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah. I can say that I for one don't know the man at all, and we're definitely not friends, I just firmly believe he is a total diamond-nut and have every confidence this thread is a testament to his diamond-nuttitude rather than an attack on you, because he's too much of a diamond-nut to waste valuable time attacking you.
You, on the other hand, seem somewhat paranoid about this
2.gif
log off PS, relax, and go contemplate almost having your new ring, who cares what we're doing on here? I'm sure it's going to be a beauty, and I hope you come back just long enough to post pics
5.gif

chicky monkey

Shiny_Rock
ccb,

I for one am I excited to see your completed ring!

As a complete newbie I came here looking for help, but I do think the forum gets bogged down with a lot of technical stuff that most people don''t care about and won''t ever see or remember regarding their diamond purchase.

Unless you''re going to carry your ASET image in your back pocket. Or a loupe. Or just shamelessly educate the general public which no one give a bleep about. They''re going to look at your wife''s ring and admire it just as they would a diamond that costs 10k more. Even right next to each other, most people won''t see any difference other than size in most diamonds.

Most importantly, your wife loved the stone and she''s getting what she wanted. Does anything else matter?

Oh, and it would be kinda weird if someone was tracking down white ASETs and although an interesting thread to follow, I''m not sure it''s completely normal.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 9:15:49 PM
Nah. I can say that I for one don't know the man at all, and we're definitely not friends, I just firmly believe he is a total diamond-nut and have every confidence this thread is a testament to his diamond-nuttitude rather than an attack on you, because he's too much of a diamond-nut to waste valuable time attacking you.

You, on the other hand, seem somewhat paranoid about this
2.gif
log off PS, relax, and go contemplate almost having your new ring, who cares what we're doing on here? I'm sure it's going to be a beauty, and I hope you come back just long enough to post pics
5.gif

Haha,
Ok I may be paranoid IF its not the same diamond, I never said he was out to get me, I just said it was really weird... You honestly don't find it weird at all?
if someone is able to offer an alternative explanation then I would love to hear it. I also didn't think it as an attack on me, I think his "diamond-nuttatitude" caused him to do something very strange, like seeking the hell out of the diamond I bought to try and justify his argument, which I find very strange.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I believe the purpose of CCL''s poll is to see how white/background ASET images influence potential buyers/PSers. I don''t think he selected your stone on purpose, just a similar looking cushion.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 9:21:40 PM
Author: chicky monkey
ccb,

I for one am I excited to see your completed ring!

As a complete newbie I came here looking for help, but I do think the forum gets bogged down with a lot of technical stuff that most people don''t care about and won''t ever see or remember regarding their diamond purchase.

Unless you''re going to carry your ASET image in your back pocket. Or a loupe. Or just shamelessly educate the general public which no one give a bleep about. They''re going to look at your wife''s ring and admire it just as they would a diamond that costs 10k more. Even right next to each other, most people won''t see any difference other than size in most diamonds.

Most importantly, your wife loved the stone and she''s getting what she wanted. Does anything else matter?

Oh, and it would be kinda weird if someone was tracking down white ASETs and although an interesting thread to follow, I''m not sure it''s completely normal.

I agree it gets bogged down with a lot of technical stuff that normal people would probably not care about. I stumbled on this thread by sheer boredom getting me to go back to the forums, but when I saw it I was like, hey thats the diamond I bought.

Really I am totally happy with my purchase and so is my GF, and as I have said before, the ASET really doesn''t matter to me. Like I said I didn''t think it was an attack on me, I just think if thats really what he did, the dude has some issues and took a forum debate/argument so seriously that he spent his time seeking it out. I was just totally puzzled at how he got it consider its been in my(or my setters) possession for the last month.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 9:37:32 PM
Author: slg47
I believe the purpose of CCL''s poll is to see how white/background ASET images influence potential buyers/PSers. I don''t think he selected your stone on purpose, just a similar looking cushion.

This still seems like you are saying the one in the black might not be my stone. It DEFINITELY is my stone, the exact aset is in my inbox from 2 months ago. Whether or not the white one is the same exact stone as well, maybe it isnt... but I think most people agreed it looks pretty much exactly the same, which is why I asked in the first place.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t say CCL is my friend considering I have never met him off PS; however, I must say that I do agree with his thinking. I just think we do get to know people through our participation in the forum. I do talk to several people from PS and have them on my Facebook.

Anyways, we all know that CCL is diamond crazed and I appreciate his technical input here on PS.

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Fine hes not your friend then, but every thread where he has been argumentative that ive been involved with you chimed in for him and said a few times that you were talking with him over email when he didn''t want to respond, so you were speaking for him.

Whatever, none of this is my point anyways, I just wanted to know if he did really did do some strange behavior either seeking out my rock or somehow finding an old aset of it... or faking a white aset to make a point, or those are two just EXTREMELY similar cushions, in which case I would apologize, but they just seem too perfectly the same.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results