shape
carat
color
clarity

which companies offers free cleaning,replating, prong tightening etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kapaoke

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Was not sure which forum to ask this question.
I am trying to find out which of big online companies ( Whiteflash,Blue Nile, James Allen, others) provide services like free prong tightening, repolishing, rhodium plating and cleaning.
Are there any special rules for any of them like once a year etc..
Could you please help
Thanks

stitch

Shiny_Rock
To me, these service lik repolishing, plating, and cleaning belong to your wear and tear conditions. Hence they would have to charge a small service fee for it. I went to a local B&M with my friend, and she has her ring polished, plated and cleaned for $30. I don''t think it is expensive. As for prong tightening, the jeweler should have done a good job in the beginning. If it is inspected and found out that it is their mistake, they should be able to do it for free. If is because of your wearing and usage habit, they might or might not charge you.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Two of my local jewelers will inspect, do minor tightening of prongs and cleaning for you on the spot. Many locals will do free cleaning and inspecting no matter what. I think many inspect after cleaning for free to make sure you don''t have a claim to come back if there is damage after the fact.

Plating has never been free anywhere I go unless you are getting work done obviously. I am also speaking of them inspecting jewelery I haven''t bought from them. Not sure I would let that be a deciding factor for me though.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Yep, most local jewelers will clean and inspect for free. Find one that you like and develop a relationship with them, even buying some small items occasionally. Rhodium plating frequency differs because some people just have body chemistry that requires it more often. Even then, it would cost more for shipping and insurance than the actual plating. Another reason to develop a good relationship with a local jeweler.

Bosie

Shiny_Rock
It''s probably a good question to ask upfront. The dealer in NYC that I bought my wife''s ER from has had it back twice since 2004. Both times the prongs got bent back, this was due to normal wear and tear, not the vendor. Both times they repaired, and refinished the ring, like new. I was prepared to pay for the service, they only charged for the return shipping. Had I been able to be in NYC, I could have just picked it up, and there would have been no charge. Very pleased, as you can tell.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
We provide free cleaning, inspection, polishing and minor adjustments without charge to our clients, it''s just good customer service... The cost of insured shipping however is paid by customers not in our local area.

Most retail jewelers who I''ve spoken with rely on "free cleaning / polishing" (and minor adjustments) as a way to meet new clients, it only takes a few minutes to provide this service and is well worth the potential of a future client.

Most stores charge for rhodium plating for items which they did not originally sell because it can be labor intensive to get a worn piece ready to be re-plated and the solution is expensive. Service is usually around $15 at most places in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results