shape
carat
color
clarity

which 3ct emerald cut stone:h vs i? smoke coming out of ears

songa

Rough_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-cut-diamond-3-carat-very-good-cut-h-color-vs1-clarity_LD04357323
http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-cut-diamond-3-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vs1-clarity_LD04285003

folks,
for days i have been reading tens of posts here hoping they would help me decide between these two 3ct emerald cuts. finally it dawned on me to just ask. by now steam is coming out of my ears.
am badly stuck on color h vs i. i do not like very white stones but would not like to notice yellow tint either.
which of these look better? is there anything in the table , depth etc. that a commoner like me would miss, that makes a difference?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: which 3ct emerald cut stone:h vs i? smoke coming out of

We need pictures and an ASET.
Both could be lovely. Or both could be dogs.

If you've been reading posts for days and have no yet figured out that Blue Nile is one of the worst vendors to buy a fancy diamond from, then I don't know what to tell you. :read:
Grading reports tell us nothing helpful about the cut and light performance. And that's what you need.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good emerald cut is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds. B2C also does this on some of the diamonds and on request.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here are some diamonds with potential from JA. JA gives you 3 ASETs per (potential) puchase:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-275456
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-313253
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/3.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-252875
You would put them on hold and request an ASET and then when you have them, you post them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Songa and welcome!

I can only reiterate what Gypsy has said ( nice selections too Gypsy!), it's not advisable to buy a fancy shape diamond without detailed images, otherwise it could really backfire and you end up with a rubbish cut that won't sparkle, and EC's are tricky, lots to consider - to put it bluntly... :sick: There is absolutely nothing that the depth and table of an EC or any other fancy shape can tell us about how well cut and beautiful a stone is unfortunately. I have seen some EC's too with what are believed to be excellent numbers and they have been dreadful to look at, conversely, I have seen EC's with numbers way outside of ' ideal' range be absolutely stunning. I cannot urge you enough to work with a vendor for this purchase that can supply detailed photographs and an ASET image at a minimum, or can get this info on a stone called in from the virtual listing if you can't find anything to suit from a vendor's inventory diamonds.

Reliably graded ( GIA or AGS) H colour should not be in any way yellow even in this size, a softer white perhaps especially from the side view but colour sensitivity varies so if you have a store near you that carries large GIA graded EC's, that might be a way to get some idea of where your preferences lie. I would also suggest considering VS2 clarity to broaden your option, some could be eye clean in this size range.

songa

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately at this point, I am married to Blue Nile as the vendor because they offer an upgrade program that will allow upgrading an emerald cut diamond originally purchased from them.

I have attached regular images that Blue Nile sent.

Will try my luck with ASET images and see what they say. Though it sounds from you guys like the answer is no.

ld04285003.jpg

ld04357323.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

songa|1403530993|3699136 said:
Thanks everyone for the input. Unfortunately at this point, I am married to Blue Nile as the vendor because they offer an upgrade program that will allow upgrading an emerald cut diamond originally purchased from them.

I have attached regular images that Blue Nile sent.

Will try my luck with ASET images and see what they say. Though it sounds from you guys like the answer is no.

No problem Songa, if you have to stick with BN then that's how we will proceed, it's good they are offering photographs now in some cases, ASET would be fantastic and I hope they can provide these images. Do I take it you are upgrading a diamond you already have with BN and that's the reason you prefer to buy from them or is it because they will offer an upgrade if you buy now in future should you wish to do so?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock

Do I read that the photo of the I color stone is in black and white? That's pretty cheeky of them. :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

these are beautiful Gypsy.. if I could ever buy an emerald I would signal you for the final pick.. I especially like the first JA.. personal preference.. what awesome picks.

Gypsy|1403493874|3698965 said:

songa

Rough_Rock

upgrading a diamond already purchased from blue nile. that diamond is H color, and people have said it looks on the whiter side of H. who knows what they knew :)

i tried james allen if they'd do this kind of an upgrade a few weeks ago, they wouldn't do it.

yup, the photo of the I is in black and white :)
not impressive at all!
I asked for a color photo last week.

I found a 3rd one:
http://www.bluenile.com/emerald-cut-diamond-3-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vs1-clarity_LD04468633?keyword_search_value=LD04468633

The picture of that one seems like a cell phone picture :)

Attachments

• ld0446863.bmp
    231.7 KB · Views: 882

songa

Rough_Rock

if i make a black and white version of the H color too, here is what that looks like,

do these say anything to the experts, in terms of light performance?

ld04357323-2.jpg

ld04285003-2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I see potential problems with both of them, but I would need a good close up video or ASET to see if what I am seeing is a problem, or just a photography issue. The I looks like it might have a p3 angle issue.

I'm pretty sure the third one is a no.

SO Here's what I'd do. Have the H sent to Neil Beaty for an appraisal. He'll take an ASET for you and evaluate it for performance in general. Then he'll tell you if it's worth keeping or not. If it's not, then he'll send it back to BN for you. If it is, he'll send it to you.

It's worth a couple hundred dollars for an appraisal on a stone this big and expensive to send it over to Neil.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Another thing you can do. Possibly, is see if Blue Nile can get you one of the JA stones. Preferably the first one I posted. And then you can send it to Neil.

I don't like to suggest that, but since you are stuck with upgrading through BN, it may be a solution for you.

songa

Rough_Rock

thanks to both Gypsy and Lorelei!

what is the potential issue with the H colored one?

Is this one worth looking at, at all? i color vs2 with faint fl.
i asked for a pic of that one too.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-sea...aEC#certViewer_cert_pid=LD04463924|cert_num=1

would faint fluorescense give any whiteness to an I color?

i asked blue nile if they can get james allen diamonds and they said no.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

songa|1403564672|3699497 said:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-sea...aEC#certViewer_cert_pid=LD04463924|cert_num=1

Can't tell you anything without an image.

Yes, there might be a problem with the H. But I can't tell you unless I have an ASET or a very good close up video. Since you can't get me either from Blue Nile, I suggest you see my advice about sending the stone to Neal.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1403581377|3699755 said:

Can't tell you anything without an image.

Yes, there might be a problem with the H. But I can't tell you unless I have an ASET or a very good close up video. Since you can't get me either from Blue Nile, I suggest you see my advice about sending the stone to Neal.

You are most welcome! I see where Gypsy is going with this and I agree with her, as she says, we need at least ASET or a clear video to see exactly what's going on there, without these things we are really only speculating and not best serving you, there are limits to what we can say and advise from just one photograph unfortunately and this is a sizeable purchase. BN won't offer the info needed such as ASET, as that is the case, it might be best to pick a diamond and send to Neil Beatty for his evaluation, he won't steer you wrongly and BN do have a generous evaluation period.

songa

Rough_Rock

I tried - but I will not be able to get an ASET at this point. I called some local people (tried to follow a version of the recommendation about Neil) but they don't even have the machines that do this. One store said they only do it for businesses.

I was able to get a bit of a video though! Of these 2 stones, with the following images and videos, is one nicer than the other so I should bet on that one? I may be able to find a good deal on these than on other ones.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-cert-viewer?cert_pid=LD04468633&cert_num=1&cert_zoom=false

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-cert-viewer?cert_pid=LD04468632&cert_num=1&cert_zoom=false

The one on the right is the 3.19 in both the photos and the video.

And here is the video: https://vimeo.com/99364176

ANY help, based on these? Which stone should I try?

img-20140627-wa0005.jpg

img-20140627-wa0007.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

I like the specs on your I VS2 stone with a ratio of 1.31. With the faint fluorescence, it could look H or better. Would be great to see video.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

In the video the one he picks up first... I think that's the I. That's still the one I think is better.

Can you have them send it directly to Neil after you buy? That way he can evaluate it for you and then you can see it in person and see what you think as well?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

RandG|1403898912|3702293 said:

I like the specs on your I VS2 stone with a ratio of 1.31. With the faint fluorescence, it could look H or better. Would be great to see video.

And at a 1K price difference, I would go for the extra half carat.

songa

Rough_Rock

You liked the 3.19 I (the one on the right was a 3.02 I). In the video, I liked that one too.
These last 2 were 2 different stones from the ones I originally posted. I am looking at these now b/c of potentially getting these for less via a price-match. And they were part of a list of 7 stones driving me nuts !!! I SOO wish I had your knowledge.

Would you worry about the multiple clouds on the 3.19? GIA report says "additional clouds and pinpoints not shown" or some such. Do those affect brilliance?

Thanks. Almost there -- I think we're close to me stopping bugging you guys :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

WHat's the clarity grade again? I'm getting confused. Can you post the lab report?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

No you have ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about with the clarity. I have a VS1 and I can't find my inclusions with a loupe.

NOTHING in that report will negatively affect brilliance.

songa

Rough_Rock

you people are saints! :)

i don't know if i need to post a new topic on the forum for this but -- why can't i find ANY information about the price of diamonds that dealers pay each other between themselves, before they reach a local store or stores like James Allen.
At this point I'm just curious more than anything.
It seems like top secret information. The whole RAP report thing must be all BS - A 3-carat I VS1's value comes out to about 45K.
If I'm a person who buys diamonds from the cutter, then am I the person selling to James Allen, Blue Nile, etc. or are there more in between? How much are THESE guys buying these for?

Anyway, took enough of your time. Have a great day!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

songa|1404314003|3705227 said:
you people are saints! :)

i don't know if i need to post a new topic on the forum for this but -- why can't i find ANY information about the price of diamonds that dealers pay each other between themselves, before they reach a local store or stores like James Allen.
At this point I'm just curious more than anything.
It seems like top secret information. The whole RAP report thing must be all BS - A 3-carat I VS1's value comes out to about 45K.
If I'm a person who buys diamonds from the cutter, then am I the person selling to James Allen, Blue Nile, etc. or are there more in between? How much are THESE guys buying these for?

Anyway, took enough of your time. Have a great day!

What happened to this one that you were pondering: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?pt=setform&track=NavDiaSeaEC#certViewer_cert_pid=LD04463924|cert_num=1

I thought that was a nice ratio, color, clarity, and only a negligible price increase for a weightier stone. With faint fluorescence, that stone will probably look like a "G" or "H".

songa

Rough_Rock

i decided to stick with the vs1s - the internal graining , etc. on that stone you asked about scared me. someone said some feathers, you could see from the side, etc.
i would have really had to see it in person and didn't want to deal with returns, etc. when there were other ones i would feel more comfortable with (and are a few thousand less, but maybe similar in measurements).

songa

Rough_Rock

we saw one of these diamonds (3.16ct) in person and for some reason we both thought it didn't look bigger enough than my existing one.
by now, my search for a diamond has gone everywhere from shopping online without much support from the vendors to someone in the jewelers district in ny trying to "secretly" sell us a feather filled diamond :)

i was able to get an ASET and idealscope image for another diamond though.
3.6ct, I, VVS2, polish and symmetry EX
Measurements 9.78 x 7.40 x 5.13 mm
69.3 depth, 63 table

how does it look from the analysis images? is the grey box in the aset, light leakage?

I am expecting images on 1 or 2 more diamonds tomorrow :)

h471g31-1455063--bb.jpg

h471g31-1455063--as.jpg

h471g31-1455063--is.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think this is a great stone. The big black band is visible in all the images. You can do better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Teribble stone. Basically instead of reflecting light it's just losing it all under the table.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results