shape
carat
color
clarity

which 1.4 do I choose? need to pull the trigger tonight

eddiehgf

Rough_Rock
About to decide on an engagement ring for the beloved. After a lot of researching and canvassing opinions narrower it down to these 2 choices.

Leaning towards the bgd but will cost an additional USD 1000. Don't mind spending it of the value is justified. But happy to go the white flash way too...

They seem to have ideal proportions however the whiteflash stone Lower girdle is 77 rather than the much vaunted 76 percent? Also the ideal scope and hearts and arrows are better on the bgd? What do people think will be the better performing stone and is the bgd worth the USD 1k premium?

What do people think of my choices. Will be getting it set in the half round tapered style.

Need to decide today so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

White flash and bgd choices

Aca around USD 12k
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3172033.htm

Bgd signature around usd 12850 with discounts
http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.472-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104072303019

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
They're both great stones. It's almost splitting hairs! I rather like the Whiteflash one, actually. Do you have a preference for one's upgrade and return policies over the other?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only see an Idealscope for crown side for the Whiteflash Stone. They both have Asset scope images. I don't see the BG diamond to have better hearts, why do you think it does? I prefer the look of the Whiteflash stone.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The asset image on the AGS certificate I believe is taken when the stone is in motion by the computer programme. The Asset Image on Whiteflash site not the one on the AGS/Whiteflash certificate is taken with a hand held device.

eddiehgf

Rough_Rock
hi guys
thanks for your swift replies.
there was some mention by another expert reviewer that the peripheries of the hearts and arrows on the whiteflash exhibit a little more light leakage? the lighter pink and gray vs the more maroonish appearance on the bgd?
also, apparently the table shows more grey coming through?

whiteflash overall does have the better returns upgrade policy i guess, but i intend to keep this one as a lifer...so really do just wanna get the best at this humble price point

so why do you think the whiteflash stone is the better one?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the more classic look, in the ideal scope you can see white dots all round the diamond inside the edge. This is thought to provide contrast. When a diamond has slight painting or digging these white dots are red, this gives more of a flash of the edge of the diamond, more like the diamond flashes form across the room, whereas the whiteflash does this too but more in an on off pattern.

If you ask Brian Gavin or Leslie about this they can explain. It was through his explanation before when he was head of cutters at Whiteflash and they did the classic and the whiteflash2 I think it was called. He said none was better than the other it was just what :appl: people preferred when they saw the diamond in person.

There was some hubabaloo about this when the cut study was done by GIA and it meant the AGS cut grade got criticised for it and I think they limited the amount by more although it was basically nothing in the top grades, so the practice was stopped by Whiteflash but there are cutters out there who cut diamonds painting and digging them far worse. There charts on here somewhere if you do a search showing in the asset the differences that various diamond cutting adjustments make due to depth of painting and digging.

Brian Gavin if this is what is on his diamonds, I am not sure, he would be able to say, would not be using it to an extent that degrades the AGS000 and I believe he just stopped cutting them at whiteflash because of the carry on and it put people off, it is also what they believe the famous Eightstar Cut is done with which is said to be the most beautiful diamond in the world, don't know if still cut and at the time many appraisers who were independent said they preferred that look. A painted and dug girdle looks different in that the part of the girdle at the halves and valleys is different. On a classic they are all the same size but when there is painting or digging they look different every second one matching.

Again not sure this is what Brian Gavins diamonds have so not saying it does, but some of the experts may be able to chime in. This is the only reason I prefer the Whiteflash.

They are both top notch and beautiful diamonds.

Was going to say at the time this was happening GIA study brought in more steep deep combinations as they said views who were also public liked the look of them, I remember Brian Gavin did a report at the time saying this was so they could use the more steep rough they had not for beauty. All these things are here in the history but Brian Gavin can explain it to you best of all or some of the other vendors like Good Old Gold as they were around at that too and Wink etc.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
They're both nice stones, I'd go for the ACA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and ask to Brian at BGD. Then make up your mind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results