shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to sell...price to expect...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mluzzy1

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend has a ring from a broken engagement. She purchased the ring from her then fiancee . It has been in a safe deposit box since 1996. She is about to purchase a house and I suggested selling the ring and putting the money toward a deposit.

Anyway...here is the info:

IGI Certified
Square Modified Brilliant Cut
1.52 CT
6.52 x 6.43 x 4.67mm
Total Depth % 72.6
Total Diameter % 79.0
Culet none
Girdle Thickness ext thin to slightly thick
Finish good/good
Clarity VS2
Color I
Fluorescence None

Any Idea what this would be worth,where to sell,etc.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction you can give.

Also, Bentley Diamond Importers , where it was purchased here in NJ will give full purchase price to her towards another diamond. I wondered if it was worth trading it for a smaller Round Brilliant stone with a GIA/AGS cert...maybe that would make it easier to sell?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You would be better of trading it in if, in fact, they would do it. Generally the promise is only if you are trading "up"...Spending quite a bit more. I''d try that route first before taking the major hit on liquidation.

mluzzy1

Rough_Rock
Not sure what the conditions of trading in are....but I don''t think she wants another one to keep ...just maybe another one that is an easier sell...ie round with a different cert.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to the jeweler and find out about their terms for the trade in. When you do your analysis, you will need to know:

1) How much you can get for the existing stone. Shop around your city for people who buy and collect offers. There are also a few national firms that buy diamonds from the public.

2) How much you will need to pay for the trade up and what they will offer you for a new stone.

3) How much you can get for the resultant stone. This is more diffiuclt since you will need to decide this before you actually have a stone to show to a potential buyer. Discussion with the buyers you meet about the current stone and examining completed auctions on ebay and similar sites may be helpful.

Armed with the above information, it should be fairly straightforward to make your decision. The gurus here will be happy to help.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
With Valentine''s right around the corner, you might try selling the ring on consignment with a local jeweler. Work with the jeweler to set a fair price and then the jeweler tacks on a percentage above that. When the ring sells, you get the price you asked and the jeweler makes a little on the side. Works nice for the jeweler because they have a nice piece to offer for sale without having money tied up in inventory.

To give you a true idea of the value of the diamond, folks would need more detailed info. You posted the Total Diameter when possibly you meant Table??? You''d also need to post the crown height as well. A quick check of similar diamonds available thru PS Vendors showed pricing ranging around $6K to about $7K, give or take a couple hundred dollars, for the diamond. That''s assuming the IGI grading of I, VS2 is accurate. IGI used to have a reputation of being soft and inconsistent in grading but they are improving. At least that''s a rough idea for you.

Good luck selling your ring.
1.gif

I sold a D color (can''t remember the other specs) oval cut 1.17, with side stones earlier this year, and got a little less than one-third of the appraised value of the ring.

I live in the SF Bay Area, and would be happy to give you the name and contact information of the person I worked with. He was very professional and a friendly guy too.

Just send me a note via the "personal messages" option if you''d like the information. I''m guessing that he''d want to set an appt with you to look at the ring, so if you don''t live in my area, this may be of no use.

Best of luck, Mary

PS - It did feel good to sell the ring - it sort of helped me move on with my life, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results