shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy - US or Europe or Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenzos

Rough_Rock
Hi...I am looking to buy a 1.2 -1.4 oval diamond, VVs2+ e-g. where
would be the ideal place to purchase this? I can fly out to the above places, or will the prices be no different - i.e should I stick to the net?

any advice would be appreciated....kenzos

mak

Rough_Rock
I know Dubai is known for its cheap gold, not so sure about diamonds. I presume it would be cheaper to get the setting of the diamond there, also because of the labour cost. Its a good concern I am also interested in finding out this info.

brighteyed

Rough_Rock
I have a similar question. I'm looking to buy a diamond engagement ring (or just the loose diamond and have my jeweler set it) in either Florida (Miami or Orlando) or Europe (Belgium, Germany or Spain). Where is the best place to buy? Are the prices better if buying in Antwerp? We'll probably be looking to buy between July and August, if that helps.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Good point about Dubai.

I have purchased stones in A'dam but not in Antwerpen (or Brussels). It used to be that it saved money in that you could benefit from the currency exchange rate (better in Belgium than Netherlands). You were excluded from the VAT as foreigner taking the stone out of the country but this forces you declare it (a very wise thing to do). Then you have customs and other importation duties (depending how much you are bringing in)which can be quite hefty. This will vary according to your country so you will know best how easy this issue is for you deal with. The advantage of being in these places is that you can see the stones more easily. However, in light of the Euro, which is now similar to the dollar, it depends on what currency you are purchasing from if this is beneficial to you.

Internet purchasing seems to me to be a very good new alternative. It also depends what country you are in - does your country have its own internet dealers? I do not know how high the additional costs would be, balanced against savings by buying on the web, to have stones repeatedly fedexed to another country for viewing. Only the buyer can determine this. There's also the duty. Insurance costs. It might not be worth it for smaller stones...?

If you are in the USA, no problem! Keep reading in this site and you will quickly learn all you need to know about buying on the web. I have not purchased diamonds on the web (yet) but I have purchased coloured gemstones and settings and small rings all with good outcomes and good savings. The prices should be on par with what you would see in BE and NL. Hope this helps!
21.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
These days the best place to buy diamonds is on the net!!
Vendors are working on a very low markup,depending on a big turnover.
Prices are regulated by a a list that all vendors go by to purchase/sell.With one exception, markup!
The best place for an american is to buy in u.s.a,if you are from wurope it's also wise to shop in the u.s.a, as the euro is much stronger the the u.s.$,therfore making the purchase from the u.s. is also advisable and wise.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion is to buy online. Dubai is not known to be a center for diamonds. It is for gold. A lot of the stones in Dubai are rubies, sapphires, etc. As diamonds are not in high demand there the quality and quantity of those stones are not worth the trip.

In Europe you WILL find excellent stones. Sadly, the prices may end up higher and the WRONG seller could sell you a stone that could be cheaper somwhere else, but without knowing the proper channels, which are QUITE difficult unless you are connected, you could end up being fleeced. Unless you have "family" in the business...
2.gif
9.gif

Therefore, the cheapest way to check for deal is on-line where you are in the driver's seat, you pay nothing extra to see the stats of the stones, and they are usually high quality or low quality, and it's up to you to look through and find what you are looking for. Also, the rates are competitive and very low, even with financial conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results