shape
carat
color
clarity

Where should the imperfections be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rock Music

Rough_Rock
The reports have diagrams of the top and botom of the diamond. The location of imperfections is drawn onto these maps. Since I can't afford an IF and I have to accept some junk in there. Where should the junk not be?

Also I think flaws are drawn in red or green, one for internal one for external. If a flaw is external or near external doesn't that weaken the diamond slightly making a fracture more likely? So all other factors being equal, shouldn't I avoid external flaws?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/4/2005 1
6.gif
6.gif
5 PM
Author:Rock Music
The reports have diagrams of the top and botom of the diamond. The location of imperfections is drawn onto these maps. Since I can''t afford an IF and I have to accept some junk in there. Where should the junk not be?

Also I think flaws are drawn in red or green, one for internal one for external. If a flaw is external or near external doesn''t that weaken the diamond slightly making a fracture more likely? So all other factors being equal, shouldn''t I avoid external flaws?
The location of the inclusions will be based upon the clarity grade of the diamond, or rather more correctly, the basis for the clarity grade - the type of inclusions and the location of those inclusions within the diamond will be the basis for the clarity grade and their location within the diamond will be represented on the plotting diagram... We should run for political office, heh?
2.gif

We''re kind of known for being a bit "over selective" in our evaluation process, but we would eliminate diamonds with extensive feathers (fractures) or series of small fractures located along the girdle edge of the diamond and would prefer a diamond with a clarity grade based largely on the presence of small diamond crystals located within the larger diamond crystal, these would be listed as "characteristics" on the lab report as crystals, needles, pinpoints or clouds (small clouds which look like small red dotted circles on the plotting diagrams). We avoid twinning wisps, cavities, knots and most external characteristics with the exception of minute "naturals" or "indented naturals" depending on the extent and placement of those characteristics. Refer to the definitions section of PS for examples of these clarity characteristics.

We strongly recommend buying from a vendor who provides detailed information beyond the scope of just the lab report. Detailed three dimensional proportions analysis is provided by many of the vendors here on Price Scope which will provide you with not only the average measurements for the crown and pavilion angles, but the high and low measurements that resulted in those measurements... Avoid diamonds with a broad spread between the high and low measurements, for instance an average crown angle of 34.5 degrees based upon a low of 34.2 and a high of 34.8 would be preferable over a diamond cut with a low of 34.0 and a high of 41.0 degrees. In addition to the detailed proportions analysis, many of the vendors here on PS provide detailed clarity photographs, mathematical ray tracing information, Gems Fantasy Scope, Fire Scope / Ideal Scope / SymmetriScope images and Gem Ex Brilliance Scope light return analysis which provide some insight into the potential offered by each diamond in terms of brilliance, dispersion and scintillation - respectively reflected white light, reflected colored light and the light created when either you or the diamond is moving...

We hope that this information is helpful to you in your quest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results