shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find small side stone diamonds?

cheucklate

Rough_Rock
I've been looking around for two small .23-.25 pear shaped diamonds (~.5 CTW). Preferably VG-Ex, G-H. I've checked b2cJewels & Bluenile but they range mostly from .3ct+.

I've spoken to my diamond dealer but he is looking for $2550 for the side stones + platinum ring setting. Does it seem too excessive? The diamonds he will be giving me would also not be GIA certified. According to him GIA does not certify pears of that size.

Anyone recommend a website or a dealer that can supply those sizes? I am a bit weary as I wouldn't know proper measurements to know if a pear shape diamond would have good optics.

Lastly anyone's opinion with a solasfera round along two pears? Would it seem too busy to you or perhaps may be too distracting from the main diamond? Thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask diamonds by Lauren or james Allen.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about letting the setting desiner source the pears? Depending on your setting designer, they might not even accept outside stones beside the main center stone.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA will grade stones a little as 0.15cts but you’re jeweler is correct that it’s rarely done. It makes no economic sense. Lab fees on such a job would run $53, plus another $20 or more for shipping plus the trouble of messing with it for months. This for a stone that costs under $200 in the first place. It adds 50% to the cost and, really, you get nothing for it.

The usual strategy is to let whoever is making the ring supply the materials. If you don’t like their prices, quality, or their workmanship, find someone else to do the work but trying to supply some of all of the materials rarely results in a savings and often results in trouble further down the road.

Here’s how it goes:

YOU: This ring has a problem.
JEWELER: So?
YOU: Well you made it. What are you going to do about it?
JEWELER: I made it from materials YOU supplied. They’re crap. I did a great job with what you gave me. It’s your fault.
YOU: You should have told me they were crap. Besides, the guy who sold them said they were great.
JEWELER: Talk to him about it. It’s not my problem.
YOU: (to the other supplier). My jeweler says your stuff is crap. What are you going to do about it?
SUPPLIER: Your jeweler is an idiot. It’s not my problem.

This sort of thing goes away entirely if the stones, the metal and the labor all come from the same source.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results