shape
carat
color
clarity

WHEN EXPERTS DISAGREE ON THE VALUE OF POLISH AND SYMMETRY GRADE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
Can the experts please chime in on these matters:

“However you or I could not see any difference between diamonds with excellent (X), very good (VG) and good (G) polish.”
“In the real world very few diamonds are perfectly symmetrical, but our research shows that symmetry can have little or no impact on the overall beauty of a diamond, especially when compared to the critical facet proportions.”

“The brilliance of a diamond with Excellent Polish will be noticeably superior to that of a diamond with a polish rating of Good.”
“The brilliance of a diamond with Excellent Symmetry will be noticeably superior to that of a diamond with a symmetry rating of Good.”

SHOULD CONSUMERS SEEK HIGHER GRADES ON POLISH AND SYMMETRY AND PAY THE DIFFERENCE?

THANKS!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Unless you're looking for a stratosphere ideal or super-ideal cut, "good" symmetry or better should be fine.

If you are looking for an ideal/super-ideal, it's a different matter. Only you can determine if that difference is worth the price.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have heard that polish can be very good or good with no REAL detriment to a stone's look. I have also heard that very good and excellent visibly carry no difference to our eye. For polish AND symm. However, if you look at something like H&A..that's supposed to be excellent or ideal symmetry, so obviously it makes a difference because you can't have true H&A with VG symm.

In my opinion it depends on what you are looking for. I would look for EX symm and VG at least polish, on any future purchases, because I like the symmetry that comes with true H&A, but that's just me. My current stone is very good polish and good symm on the GIA but our appraiser gave it VG on both. Looks the same to me! So maybe it's just a mental thing.

But there has to be a difference visually between Good and EX or else why bother with the grades? It's like the question about D vs G or D vs I. Is there a difference? Of course there is! The grading charts say so! But can you see it? Who knows. Are you superman?
rodent.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
/idealbb/images/smilies/rodent.gif It goes great with my new shoes!

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it's me, but I've never been able to tell Good from Ex without magnification. "Noticeably superior"? Where did you get that one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results