shape
carat
color
clarity

When did you reset/upgrade your ring?

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I am asking this question more out of interest than anything else. How long did you wait for an upgrade? Did you just reset or upgrade the stone?

Recently my husband and I attended a neighborhood dinner party and the topic came up. We are approaching our 4 year anniversary and will be resetting my original engagement ring, for no other reason than I want more finger coverage, so I am haloing my diamond... I love my stone, however, if I had the budget, I would upgrade the stone too! Lol! Another woman there said she would never even consider it due to the sentimental value, and yet, another guest said she has reset her ring 3x in the 14 years she has been married... I know many of my fellow pricescopers feel the same, while we attach a certain level of sentiment to our jewelry, we also view it as simply a piece of jewelry, and have no problem upgrading it. The other woman there seemed quite "judgey," for me even considering a reset... now mind you, the social circle was in the 2.5 carat plus zone, and 2 out of the 4 women there had, had there stones reset. We ALL appreciated big diamonds. The conversation just prompted me to think about how often it happens and what the typical circumstances are... if it were up to my hubby, I would leave it as is, since he spent time with Mark at ERD having it custom made (it's a 3 stone, OMB with side bullets.) I want more sparkle and finger real estate...

Anyway, interested in your feedback...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was engaged young (18) and we upgraded the exact same ring for size once, went from 1/2 ct princess to 3/4 ct. Then I kept on having problems with the setting so we traded that ring in for something different (no longer wanted ER from that jeweler) and started all over for the ER. It had been 3 years at this point, we had planned on getting married after college was finished. Final upgrade was to a 1.06 asscher in a halo. I was married with that ring a year later and still wear that ring another seven years later. It hit the "just right" spot for me. I have other jewelry in addition but I will never change my ER again. The only way I would change it is if the setting eventually just wears out (a possibility since it's only WG, would switch to plat). So I did all of my upgrading within 3 years before I was even married! Post marriage I collect different bands and RHRs. Those I consider limitless, I mostly wear a 5 ct asscher eternity nowadays. I think past a certain CT weight, when the cost to go bigger can be INSANE it makes more sense to get a substantial eternity (or even big 5 or 7 stone if you don't want eternity) than a slightly bigger center stone. ESP if finger coverage is your goal.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
4 years for me...trading in a smaller diamond in a halo setting for a bigger diamond in a solitaire setting. My original is beautiful but I'm over halos and I want a timeless solitaire.

I think it's really a personal preference and no one should judge you for it. It's no one else's business. Your money, your ring. Especially if you are keeping the original center stone, changing the setting shouldn't change any sentiment. Sometimes you just need a little spruce up! No different than updating a home, IMO.

Let's be real....the ladies who were "judgey" are probably jealous that you are about to get a new sparkly!!! :D I have learned that girl friends sometimes can be so passively catty it's ridiculous. They will always want to one up you and have something better. For some people, knowing that they have something better than yours makes them feel better about them selves. Twisted, isn't it?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never happens in Britain. Another ring is not your engagement ring but a right hand ring. Could wear on left hand but no one does that or really buys right hand rings. An eternity ring may be added to the engagent ring but probably no bigger than half carat or so total.

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Reset before wedding.

The original setting was not the correct size for the stone (not sure why the jeweler did that, it was a stock setting and had I known more at the time, I probably would have tried for a refund) and I wasn't happy with certain details of it, like how thick it was, which I made known prior to casting. Prongs were sloppy. It also had sapphire side stones that were too dark and the jeweler could not locate better stones, except one pair that I would have considered as a temp fix but weren't really right, which they wanted an additional $800 for and this was back when sapphires were less expensive. Definite learning experience on trusting your gut and finding a salesperson/owner who knows what they are talking about and a skilled bench. I also learned it is difficult to find nice sapphires and my city is not ideal for that.

I had been attracted to a certain style of setting at that jeweler, and found myself continually drawn to that designer over the next several months as I tried to fix the problems with the original ring. I did not want to deal with that original jeweler, given the quality issues, lack of knowledge about their designers, and the wasted money. I contacted the designer directly, and finally, I had a good experience with people who listened, liberated the lovely diamond from its original setting, and created a beautiful ring I was thrilled to wear every day. I would never change it.

I ended up getting stones that shall not be named set by Wink in the original setting. It looks much better with stones of the correct size.

I would get other rings to wear on my left ring finger. Working on a smaller one now, and would consider getting a larger diamond in the future. I see those as alternatives, not really upgrades.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an interesting topic to be sure. People judge us all the time. It's really between you and DH, but since you are asking I upgraded at the 20 year mark. My stone started out as .50 ct. 31 years ago. And even though you aren't asking, I ADORE your ring!!!!! It's stunning as is! :love: :love: :love:

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Bonfire|1436024036|3898885 said:
It's an interesting topic to be sure. People judge us all the time. It's really between you and DH, but since you are asking I upgraded at the 20 year mark. My stone started out as .50 ct. 31 years ago. And even though you aren't asking, I ADORE your ring!!!!! It's stunning as is! :love: :love: :love:
Awwh, Thank you so much!!!

Interesting to hear everyone's feedback, Ladies!!! I'm sure there is a topic on before and after pics on SMTB!

boxy

Rough_Rock
img_1904.jpgdscn0549.jpgdscn0547.jpgimg_1889.jpgimg_1905.jpg
I did an upgrade after 15 yrs. Went from a 1.05 carat to 1.79, and ended up with one big fat band as opposed to two bands that were soldered together for convenience (hated having rings separate and move around all the time.) My jeweler also added a little sweet extra feature of our monogram letter M on the bottom part of the basket holding the center stone. I felt guilty at first, but got over it pretty quickly, as I really wanted a larger center stone, and since this is the one piece of jewelry I wear everyday, I wanted to be able to really enjoy and be in love with it. I am soo very happy I went for it!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Original was a .36ct with two .3ct side stones.
5yr anniv - reset orinigal center into a necklace, sides into stud earrings. Upgraded/new ring was a 1ct modern cushion in a halo.
10yr anniv - traded in the 1ct for a 2ct round in a halo
Just because (two years later) - selling 2ct for a 3ct antique cut cushion in a solitaire setting.

DH is fine with this bc it's just jewelry and even if we had NO rings, we will always be married. Some women I know love and support the upgrade idea, some would never ever think of changing their original ring. It's personal preference. I happen to prefer it! :razz:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought myself an EC diamond and had it set as 40th birthday present to myself.

It was my first commission piece, and made the newbie mistake of not getting involved with the setting design except to specify the stone must be bezel-set and in platinum.

The ring was beautifully made, however, I was never 100% in love with it, as it was set too high (I believe the jeweller thought I was going to have a band to go with it) and the shank was too narrow and square to provide sufficient finger cover for my liking. The original ring on my middle right hand finger worn on its own:

ecbezelset_2s.jpg

I used to wear it with a sentimental 2mm Titanium band, shown here on my RH ring finger as the set no longer fitted the middle finger:

largeeconfinger.jpg

It took me 10 years to decide it was time to re-set the EC, so that it could be worn on its own on the middle finger as it was originally intended, and in time for my 50th birthday last year. It is now in its forever home, a low profile air gap/floating diamond halo with a wider plain curved shank in platinum, and I am very happy with it:

ecreset_d.jpg

DK :))

boxy

Rough_Rock
Love the change!!! Love seeing these upgraded rings!! Nice to know we're not alone in our desires for change . :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great topic, great stories and great pictures!

My original ering was a .15 ct center with two .03 ct side stones. The band I wore with it was a 1/3 ctw channel set band. I didn't upgrade until our 16th anniversary. The upgrade was a 1/2 ct and my first AGS0. I had no idea what that meant at the time but loved that diamond. I had it in a 3 stone setting (initially a PC bezel set) then a prong mounted .33 ctw side stones. 4 years later I upgraded to a .75 carat GIA XXX in a solitaire and a 1/2 ctw band. My OCD convinced me the GIA wasn't as nice as an AGS and upgraded to a 1 carat AGS in 4 months. 2 years later I got my current diamond which is a 1.52 carat diamond.

Marcy

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15 years for first ring I ever did wear. Never wore my original ering cause I did not feel comfortable wearing an ering, just a band. When I got my new ering it was 2.59, vs my original of 1.11. Reset the original into a stud. DH doesn't care as long as I don't sell the original stone, and I stop talking about it. Lol!!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting topic!

When I got engaged I already had a solitaire as a RHR and because my husband let me decide, I kept my solitaire as RHR and chose bands as engagement and then wedding bands. I first got my solitaire when I was 16, a 0.05 ct RB in white gold. When I was 18 I got my mother's solitaire, 0.16 ct RB in YG. 7 years later I upgraded to 0.5 ct RB... but I have kept the old rings for sentimental value. And now I am upgrading to 1 ct vintage cushion. Sometimes I wear my solitaire with my bands, but most often I think it looks better on my right hand.

For me, I am happy with my choices since the bands are "forever" but my solitaire is upgradeable. :naughty:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been married just about two years and was engaged for two before that. I started out with a modern round brilliant and realized that I am an antique cut girl. I miraculously found an OEC with the same dimensions and switched that with my MRB after about one year of being engaged. I guess I'm not sentimental at all, because we sold the original diamond. :lol: I would be okay with re-setting if something happened to my setting. I don't think I would reset because of getting bored/tired of my halo, although anything is possible. I don't know anybody in my peer group who has upgraded, but we're in our late 20s and I don't have friends who are jewelry fanatics. They think it's weird that I have right hand rings. :roll: I attached a photo of my OEC for reference. I say, do what makes you happy! If they're judging you, they're probably jealous!

1393486_10101872965643640_1887081863_n.jpg

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I went for a reset in September of last year after being married for 11 years. I would honestly love a bigger diamond but mine is 1.5 carats and my poor husband thought he was buying big enough to last me forever. So I think I'll have to wait until 20 years for a 2+ carat and it may not even happen then. My reasons for a reset......I had/have tapered baguettes and my original wedding band was notched so it couldn't be worn alone. My setting just wasn't all that nice. So I put it in a halo and didn't ever like it. So I went back to a tapered baguette setting but had a new one made that feels a little nicer. With engraving, milgrain, double prongs, etc. and a new 7 stone wedding band. That I actually do wear alone quite a bit.

I am not super sentimental. For me, it's just a ring. But my mom was very judgy about it. She thinks of I change anything, it's bad luck for our marriage. But I am happy to report that my marriage is just fine. So I say do hat ever you want. Want to change it, change it. Want to upgrade 3x a year from now until forever, do that. Whatever makes you happy and your DH can live with.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I asked a similar question recently in Hangout because I was curious about how long people had been married before their upgrades: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-years-were-you-married-committed-before-upgrade.213882/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-many-years-were-you-married-committed-before-upgrade.213882/[/URL]

My original engagement ring is a .55 square radiant from Whiteflash in a simple solitaire that I got in 2008. I still think the stone is very pretty, but after many years on PS, I decided I wanted a bigger center stone with more spread (radiants are kind of deep cut, so a lot of the weight isn't 'visible'), and I decided the largest I was comfortable with was about a 1.25 center or about 7mm (ame's set was my inspriration, since we have the same finger size and I liked the coverage she has with her solitaire, without it looking too terribly large for my current profession/circle of friends).

I went through phases of liking different cuts, but ultimately, the old cut bug got me and I decided and OEC/transitional with the flowery look was what I wanted. I looked for years for a stone that met my requirements. I recently found my holy grail stone, via the Pre-Loved forum, and it was everything I wanted--low color, relatively high clarity, 7mm+ spread, and less than retail price (part of jewelry being 'mind clean' for me is getting a relatively good deal). It's already set into a simple solitaire, but I'm hoping to reset into a bezel like the one below. I won't begin wearing it until next year when DH finishes grad school and gets a job, but that gives me lots of time to finalize setting decisions. :naughty: By time I get it reset, it will be around our 8th wedding anniversary. :bigsmile:

Also, I plan to keep my original engagement ring--have thought about resetting the stone into a pendant, bracelet, or halo for a RHR but no decisions made yet.

07-29_04-nwring_001.jpg

oec_rubybeth.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results