shape
carat
color
clarity

When buying a ring online, is it safer to pay with credit/debit card, or cashiers'' check?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
A cashiers'' check is not traceable, right? Is it ok to pay by cashiers'' check? I am nervous because what if I send the money for a diamond ring and get taken? A credit card should be safer then, right?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''ve paid by credit card three times and never had a bit of a problem. Easy and fast!

Lynn

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! People read these posts, but don''t reply, why is that?

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sunni
No idea why some people never reply, but they may be slow typists like me & it takes a while to respond.

I recently purchased a diamond and had the same thought as you, but the credit card surcharge was high and so I did not use it. I have been reading this forum since September and have never heard anyone complain about money being paid and the goods not received. I would be comfortable making a cashiers cheque out to any of the vendors frquently mentioned here, but would not usually consider doing this with any other internet purchases. In fact, I usually use a separate credit card for internet purchases just to be on the safe side. I was nervous with this first purchase, but would not hesitate again.

Hope this helps.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2005 9:11:17 PM
Author: Lynn B
I''ve paid by credit card three times and never had a bit of a problem. Easy and fast!

Lynn

I will not pay by any other method than an actual credit card, NOT a debit. Too many things are on the line with a debit, since it links directly to your checking/savings.

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Maybe people dont respond because it really isnt an issue if you go with the vendors who participate with this site. Like goodoldgold, niceice, whiteflash, etc...... If you want the security of not being taken, then pay with credit card. But cash or bank wire is probably just as safe if you are dealing with a reputable source.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sunni:

I have wired money and payed by credit card. I have never had a problem with either. When your dealing with a reputable vendor it really isn''t an issue.
35.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many great vendors on this board. In addition to references here you can look up the number to the local BBB of the vendor and get a report on that vendor. Always look the number up yourself if you have a question in your mind. Also call the Chamber of Commerce if you want to know about a vendor.

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The penalties that can be imposed for a vendor committing fraud with a bank wire transfer for payment are a lot higher than with credit cards.
If you dont trust the vendor enough to use it then you shouldnt be buying a multiple thousands of dollars item from them.
US. postal money orders are actually the safest means of payment for purchases under $1500.
The postal inspectors take down more people for committing fraud involving purchases than any other single law enforcement group each year.
I know people that buy guns well into the $40000 range who require the seller to take a postal money order for a down/partial payment for that very reason.

Layne

Shiny_Rock
Your bank keeps track of all cahiers checks- the remitter, the payee, the amount, etc. You can cancel a cashiers check.
Still, your credit card offers more advatages- and, most importantly, buyer protection.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Christine,

Do a search here on "credit card" and you''ll go on over load. The one set of responses I recall here is this one, and I''m inclined to agree with Denver Appraiser''s previous post on this: "it''s cheap insurance." But...if you''re willing to lean into the wind a bit more, in consideration of an unexpected and unlikely bad outcome, Storm may have a good suggestion for you here, too.

Generally, clearly, you can save money buy paying with some form of cash. But, since the formation of your question itself asks: "which is safer," the credit card option I think does add a measure of safety.

Best wishes,

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies-an to you angela, for your link to a previous post. My cc is actually is visa check card. After reading the responses, I feel safer about making a purchase. I have googled and researched Diamonds By Lauren and I have heard nothing but good things. They have 100% positive feedback on their ebay site and the one return there was in the last year went very smoothly. It is hard to trust vendors when buying jewelry online. You wonder if you are getting the stone you pay for...etc. But, like I said, I have only heard good things about DBL. The words: Honesty, reputable, and trustworthy came up frequently. My mind is more at ease now. I always get nervous before making a big purchase, doesn''t everyone?
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most check cards dont have the same protection that a regular credit card does.
Check with your bank you may be less safe than with a wire transfer.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Christine,

It is understandable to get nervous when purchasing something like this either online or live IMO. Diamonds by Lauren gets nothing but praise here, as do many other vendors, so that should help make you comfortable.

As a matter of policy, when we first bought a stone online, we had the vendor send it to a local, independent appraiser BEFORE we wired the money. That way we could see it ourselves, and have the appraiser confirm that it was when it was represented to be. After our appraiser appt, we wired the $$, and the appraiser released the stone to us. I think that is the safest way of doing business for purchases like this, but it might be overkill in some cases.

Good luck!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I personally prefer credit cards all the time. I hate wire transfers, since I think it''s a PITA to have to physically go to the bank.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Noobie -- you need a new bank! I do wire transfers online through either Schwab or Wells Fargo
10.gif
. It''s a minor pain, not a major one.....

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe so lop, but you know it''s like insurance, high energy to switch.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Mine let me write a personal check. B&M store tho. Still, the point is that I wouldn''t have even bought from them if I didn''t think they were trustworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results