shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do? Lost a pave diamond already.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, fellow PS'ers,

I just posted last week about my new James Allen ring in Show Me the Bling. It's a beautiful twisty halo design. I've had it for just over a week and it is insured. Plus I'm in my 30 day return policy period. I'm very careful with my rings in that I don't sleep or shower with them, etc. When I wear the e-ring against the wedding band, I put an 8mm spacer in between so the rings don't rub against each other. I have been cleaning them daily with dawn and a gentle brush and in doing so today, I lost one of the tiny stones that is in the halo head right near the prong. I'm guessing it went down the drain as I couldn't find it and didn't notice it missing until after I drained the water. Some of the stones are pretty tiny.

I knew that this ring would be more delicate than others, but I really love the design and how it looks on. However, I'm really wondering if this is the ring I want to have for the next (hopefully!) 40+ years of my life. What are your thoughts? I have included a picture of the appraisal image so you could see a very detailed image of the design. The appraiser thought it was a gorgeous, well-made ring. But, what would you do?

Thanks in advance for your candid comments.

~Sparkly Soprano

img_6887.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I love your ring!!!! Contact them immediately and ask them to fix it for you that is just ridiculous!!!!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
OK, thanks, Arkieb! That's what I was leaning towards doing since I was planning on having it sized down a bit anyway (I just recently decided this.) And I will also ask if I can get another 30 days return policy upon it coming back to me as a buffer in case more stones get lost.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8mm spacer? You mean .08mm spacer?

I would send it back to JA (hopefully at their expense) and have it fixed. Ask them to check all the stones.

With a setting like this you are bound to lose a few stones over the next 30+ years (as with any pave setting). I think you need
to decide if that's ok and you are willing to replace every so often or if that's not ok and you would rather have a solitaire or
at least a setting with less pave. I think only you can decide what you are willing to live/deal with.

I think it is a beautiful setting myself. If you want less pave maybe you could stick with the halo you have but put it on an all
metal shank like one of these?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-cabled-diamond-engagement-ring-item-17996
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-twisted-shank-solitaire-item-17470
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-split-shank-double-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17877

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, TyTy333!

Yes, I meant to say .08mm. 8mm would practically cover my whole bottom finger. :lol:

James Allen does offer lifetime warranty on their rings so I would hope they would cover the return shipping for this, especially in light of how long I've actually had it (10 days). I did know going into this particular purchase that stone loss would be a definite possibility, I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

The first ring you posted with the cabled band was one on my final choices list. I also liked the three stone design of one of their newer rings:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...tone-round-trellis-engagement-ring-item-50149

But, I really like the delicate nature of the one I ended up selecting. It feels like a solitaire, but with more delicate sparkles, and has a subtle floral flair. It really has a nice presence. Another thing I like is that the band would really not actually show any patina since there are diamonds on it.

This is tough, but I think just by writing through this, my heart is saying to keep it (pending repair, of course!). However, I still would like them to offer me another 30 days from the day I receive it back so that if it happens again during that short time, my decision may end up changing. I think it was Gypsy that mentioned in a former post that she used to have a ring that ended up not getting worn due to lost pave issues. She eventually replaced it if my memory serves me correctly.

I would like to say that I have been extremely happy with James Allen thus far. And this issue shouldn't deter anyone from buying from them. I will write back after speaking with them about it.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did have a ring that lost pave too easily.
I did replace the pave on the ring (it was a halo and I had the halo portion re-done).

I'm sorry this happened. You should definitely bring it up to JA and see what they say. I'd probably give it another go with the same design. But get them to agree in writing that if the new ring loses melee in the next 12 months, you will get a full refund. :wavey:

If they won't do that... it's time to move on. BE can make you something similar (I love that design too) but it might cost you a bit more.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy! Great idea about the 12-month agreement. It may be just that there was never a stone there and perhaps I didn't notice it? The space in question is right under a center prong. The other center prongs also have a bit of space (without diamonds) next to them, although smaller. In any case, they will look at it, repair as needed and size it down a bit, as well. I will be in touch with a manager upon getting it back regarding any possible return issues. I could not get an extension at this time. BTW, they are covering the shipping.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I had a similar incident where I lost a pave stone within the first couple of weeks of ownership. My initial reaction was that perhaps the ring was of poor craftsmanship and I thought about returning it. However, I talked to a friend of mine (who happens to be a jeweler) and he said that often times, stone loss occurs either right away or years down the line. It is not necessarily an indication of poor quality/craftsmanship - it's just the nature of pave work. The jeweler who made my ring repaired it and extended the warranty (for peace of mind) should I lose a stone again, but I haven't had any issues since (and I've been wearing the ring for almost 6 months now).

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Momhappy,

That's interesting feedback from your jeweler friend. I did take some close ups of the ring right now and have compared them to ones I took when I first received it. Of course, I wasn't focusing on that very spot at first so it's tough to really see the difference. Plus, my lack of good camera... But I do see it is possible that I was suddenly just seeing something new about the ring today as I do see some "blackness"/lack of diamond sparkliness in those first pics. I've heard of this happening with people who buy pear, oval or marquise stones. They don't notice the bow tie effect for sometimes even months down the road and take it back to the jeweler thinking something happened to their stone.

In any case, I'm feeling relieved to get it sized down and looked at. They are also going to look at a prong that seemed just a bit scratchy (it was towards the back and was there when I first got it). It never really scratched me and I figured it could wait until I decided whether I was going to resize or not. The rep also told me that if the ring does not fit snugly enough (meaning excess spinning) that can cause additional stress, thereby, loosening stones.

I will get my ring back in about two weeks. :)

Thanks,
Sparkly

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to post the outcome. As it turned out, there was no melee missing/lost frm the halo. There is a very tiny space by the prong that doesn't get a stone, so when I cleaned/Inspected it that day, it seemed so huge, but it really isn't. Upon their inspection they did, however, find and replaced free of charge a cracked stone towards the back, and I'm thinking that may be why I was feeling a bit of scratchiness there. I'm a bit surprised my appraiser didn't catch that, although I suppose that could have happened in the ten days I had it. I'm going to regularly inspect with my 10x loupe. Owning a ring with nearly 100 stones is an obligation. And yes, I did purchase an insurance policy from Jewelers Mutual.

I had them size down from 5.25 to a tight 5 (so in between 4.75 and 5 for those who am not know about that size, like I had known til now). I love the ring so much more actually, just that little difference makes the band look and feel better. The band doesn't seem to jut out as much and therefore looks better against my wedding band.

I'm very impressed with James Allen. They seem to care about their product. The manager I spoke to did extend my 30 day trial period to make sure I was happy with my purchase (which I asked for) since I really only had it for ten days. She did tell me that there have not been ongoing issues with this ring.

Now, I need to decide about adding a rose gold stacker in between, and which kind... It has to be on the lesser side of expense. Or I may wait til next year and get one then.

Here are a couple pics! The blueness in the second photo is from the flash. There is no flouresecence reported on my stone. I thought it looked pretty cool though!

Thanks again for the helpful feedback from arkieb, tyty, gypsy, and momhappy. :))

_27509.jpg

_27510.jpg

_27511.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great! I'm glad that you figured out the stone wasn't missing (but got the other one fixed). I like your setting too and
wanted you to be able to keep it and be happy with it. Crisis averted!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rosa

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say what a gorgeous and unusual design it is. Wonderful choice and it looks great on your finger.

There is a reason that beautiful things are often "high maintenance" items. :) Sadly, I'm always drawn to those, too.

I have a bracelet that lost a tiny diamond and the jeweler replaced it free of charge even though about 3 years had passed since I bought it. This was at a booth on 47th St. I did end up buying a necklace soon thereafter (that I'd seen when I went in for the repair) so he got my business again which probably helped offset the cost of the stone + labor. Plus he engendered goodwill so I would shop there again knowing he stands behind his work.

Enjoy your gorgeous ring!

Jamiegems

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano

If you really love the ring, don't throw away the baby with the bathwater. When you send it or take it in to be replaces make sure that they check each of the other diamonds and maybe they can to a little micro setting on any that might fall out again.

If you really love it give it at least one more shot. I always love jewelry that is different and I have never seen any ring like yours I think it's beautiful and unique. It's worth a second chance.

jamiegems G. G.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results