shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you choose? 4ct J/VS2 or 3.3ct G/VS2??

What would you pick? A 4ct J/VS2 or a 3ct G/VS2 -- all other specs the same

• 4 carat J / VS2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Assume the cut and other specs are identical. So you have to pick having a much bigger rock vs a lighter color.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
wow...so far color seems to be winning the race. Glad I was finally able to figure out this polling procedure.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
bumping....trying to get as many votes as possible.

thanks to all who have replied.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
You may want to add that the stone is a cushion cut and you have not seen them in person. I might also ask the question if they both faced up white and you couldn''t tell the difference which one would you choose? I wonder if you would get a different answer.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would rather have a 3.75 H SI1. That way I could have size, color and eyeclean clarity.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Both rocks are waaaaay too big for me
Guess I haven''t been hanging on Pricescope long enough?!
All the best with whichever one you choose!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2008 10:39:01 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
You may want to add that the stone is a cushion cut and you have not seen them in person. I might also ask the question if they both faced up white and you couldn''t tell the difference which one would you choose? I wonder if you would get a different answer.
I dont really think the cut is an issue and to be honest, whether or not any J faces up white is irrelevant in that side by side, a G will always be whiter *if* they''re both well cut stones, which is what the OP is suggesting, if I read his initial post correctly.

blondie

Shiny_Rock
I went for the G - would I be correct in saying that bigger stones tend to show colour more anyway? So a stone as large as a 4 carat might show more of a yellow tinge than, say a 2 carat of the same colour? (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) Based on this I would go with the smaller stone, but hek a 3 carat is big enough for me!!!
30.gif
30.gif

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock

I was trying to make it as straightforward as possible. I could have offered more in between options as well but was just trying to get a sense of what people think of the common tradeoff between size and color.

Thanks for all your input and advice - especially on the other thread which I think the admin finally deleted! Some folks were getting very sensitive about it.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 12:43:56 AM
Author: hearts-arrows_girl
I think I would rather have a 3.75 H SI1. That way I could have size, color and eyeclean clarity.

HA! yes, that would be a fairly good in-between option. If only these options existed in abundance I''d be having fewer stress outs about this process. Maybe I will add that to a new poll next week :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally if there had been a 2.5ct option I'd have gone for that.

But then I believe there is such a thing as TOO big. 2.5ct is about as big as you can go without it beginning to look a little top heavy and less than elegant.

I know most people here will disagree, but that is my honest opinion.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 1:31:57 AM
Author: surfgirl

I dont really think the cut is an issue and to be honest, whether or not any J faces up white is irrelevant in that side by side, a G will always be whiter *if* they''re both well cut stones, which is what the OP is suggesting, if I read his initial post correctly.
Surfgirl...in another thread when conversing with the OP I gave him an example of my experience looking at Cushion cuts with Mark in his office and side by side color comparisions. As far as cut is concerned I''m assuming you are refering to my reference to the cushion; and yes, I do think it is relevent due to the fact that some cuts of stones show color more than others. We always tell people here that we need to see the stones in person. Some J''s face up whiter than others regardless of what the stats on paper suggest. IRL, I hope, his stone isn''t going to be put side by side with a G.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 7:18:47 AM
Author: azbuyer

I was trying to make it as straightforward as possible. I could have offered more in between options as well but was just trying to get a sense of what people think of the common tradeoff between size and color.

Thanks for all your input and advice - especially on the other thread which I think the admin finally deleted! Some folks were getting very sensitive about it.
I agree with you and I''m sure you''ll get what people think the common trade off is.

As far as the other thread, I''m glad I could offer you my input based on just recently looking at the stones in Marks office. I am in no way an expert and I also just recently purchased a J myself so I am all for lower colors. I think I was a little surprised by the stone that I mentioned I saw in the HW type halo setting. I really have no idea why I could see it in that stone. Like I said, Mark stated that cushions pick up more color face up than other cuts of stones but we have also seen examples where that is not the case here on PS.

If it were me, I''d probably go with the 4ct and have it sent to me first to view and then work it out with Mark to get the 3 if you don''t like it. In a perfect world.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 8:24:43 AM
Date: 7/2/2008 1:31:57 AM

Author: surfgirl

Surfgirl...in another thread when conversing with the OP I gave him an example of my experience looking at Cushion cuts with Mark in his office and side by side color comparisions. As far as cut is concerned I''m assuming you are refering to my reference to the cushion; and yes, I do think it is relevent due to the fact that some cuts of stones show color more than others. We always tell people here that we need to see the stones in person. Some J''s face up whiter than others regardless of what the stats on paper suggest. IRL, I hope, his stone isn''t going to be put side by side with a G.
The OP said the two stones would be equal in all ways except the color, so in that scenario cut wouldn''t matter as they''d be equal. I believe he''s speaking hypothetically...

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 8:11:59 AM
Author: Pandora II
Personally if there had been a 2.5ct option I''d have gone for that.

But then I believe there is such a thing as TOO big. 2.5ct is about as big as you can go without it beginning to look a little top heavy and less than elegant.

I agree wholeheartedly. I tried on some large gems in Tiffany''s a few months ago, and have decided that my 10th year emerald/alexandrite shouldn''t be any bigger than 2.5 carats. I actually laughed aloud when I tried a five-carat stone on.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 12:34:58 PM
Author: ursulawrite
Date: 7/2/2008 8:11:59 AM

Author: Pandora II

Personally if there had been a 2.5ct option I''d have gone for that.

I agree wholeheartedly. I tried on some large gems in Tiffany''s a few months ago, and have decided that my 10th year emerald/alexandrite shouldn''t be any bigger than 2.5 carats. I actually laughed aloud when I tried a five-carat stone on.
Yeah, at a certain point, and depending on the individual''s hand/finger size any stone starts to look "cartoonish" on the hand. In fact, I''d say even a 2ct. can look a bit silly if the wearer''s hand/fingers are extremely petite. It''s all relative...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for the G not because of the color (I would pick whichever stone looked prettiest to me and I don't really care about color), but because I actually think that a 3.3ct is a more managable size for everyday wear.

Of course, that depends on who you hang out with and what types of activities you do everyday, but that is just my thoughts given my lifestyle etc. I would prefer a 2.5ct if I were picking.

Had your GF expressed her opinions about size? If she is simply a bigger is better gal, then there is your answer
2.gif

Here is an option: can you let your gf pick? She may fall in love with one stone or the other, regardless of it's size or color.

azbuyer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 1:35:20 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I voted for the G not because of the color (I would pick whichever stone looked prettiest to me and I don''t really care about color), but because I actually think that a 3.3ct is a more managable size for everyday wear.

Of course, that depends on who you hang out with and what types of activities you do everyday, but that is just my thoughts given my lifestyle etc. I would prefer a 2.5ct if I were picking.

Had your GF expressed her opinions about size? If she is simply a bigger is better gal, then there is your answer
2.gif

Here is an option: can you let your gf pick? She may fall in love with one stone or the other, regardless of it''s size or color.

My gf is very petite (size 4.5 finger, like 95 lbs, etc.). I have received mixed opinions as to whether a stone should be in proportion to your hand/body or whether you should just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. We live in Manhattan, NYC so there are clearly wealthy people all around although no one in our immediate circle is married yet. But she does comment on the size of the "rocks" that her co-workers have or other people we see casually. I did ask her once if she would rather have size or quality and she always says quality.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
If she''s THAT petite, a 3 carat stone is going to look ENORMOUS on here hand, IMO.

Is there a friend whose ring she comments on that you could ask about regarding size? Just to get a better idea of what she is wanting and/or expecting?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would choose the 3 carat G, VS2 over a larger J VS2. She''s got small hands, either stone will look huge on her. My hands are just a little smaller than your girlfriends and my cushion isnt'' anywhere near the size and although mine''s set in a halo it still feels big to me. I don''t live in NY though were large stones are everywhere. I think if she says she''d choose quality over size. the 3 carat G would be perfect. it''s certainly not small at all. how are you planning on setting it?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a 3 carat stone might be more suitable for her since she is so tiny. A 3 carat stone is still very large and will look great in comparison to others in NYC.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Go for the J! I doubt that most girls worry about their ER stone being too big. I know I wouldn''t!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been trying to figure out if I think CUT *does* make a difference in this equation.

4ct. J vs. 3.3 ct G

Emerald ... G
Oval ... G
Modern Cushion ... G
Radiant ... 2.5 ct F
Princess ... 2.5 ct F
Euro Round ... maybe the J?
Brilliant Round ... G (4 ct just too big in that style cut for me)
Asscher ... G
Pear ... G
Old Mine Cushion ... we have a winner ... this is the only cut I can think of I'd def prefer the 4 ct. J

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 3:28:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''ve been trying to figure out if I think CUT *does* make a difference in this equation.

4ct. J vs. 3.3 ct G

Emerald ... G
Oval ... G
Modern Cushion ... G
Radiant ... 2.5 ct F
Princess ... 2.5 ct F
Euro Round ... maybe the J?
Brilliant Round ... G (4 ct just too big in that style cut for me)
Asscher ... G
Pear ... G
Old Mine Cushion ... we have a winner ... this is the only cut I can think of I''d def prefer the 4 ct. J
I think I agree with your assessment Deco!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
3.3 carats is still huge (and I''m saying that with fingers twice the size of your girlfriend''s), and I would love to have a G, so that was a no-brainer. I think I''m with Pandora on the voting for a 2.5ct option if there had been one, though.
1.gif

MomHelpingSon

Rough_Rock
Go for the 3.3G stone or a 3.3F (if you can). J stones show color/tint. Besides, from your post it appears you already have your answer since your GF told you she prefers quality!

P.S. I don''t know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 4:05:57 PM
Author: MomHelpingSon
Go for the 3.3G stone or a 3.3F (if you can). J stones show color/tint. Besides, from your post it appears you already have your answer since your GF told you she prefers quality!

P.S. I don''t know any women that would pick a 2.5G (smaller stone) over a 3.3G...that is just silly!
Uh, no it isn''t. Seriously, not EVERYone wants the biggest stone possible.
40.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 4:07:23 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 7/2/2008 4:05:57 PM
Author: MomHelpingSon

Uh, no it isn''t. Seriously, not EVERYone wants the biggest stone possible.
40.gif
Silly? At what point will it end? When eight-carat solitaires are the norm? People should buy what they feel comfortable with, and everyone''s perception of beauty is radically different. As far as I''m aware, quantity has yet to trump quality in the comparative stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results