shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with Ex''s Rings? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Let''s say a certain someone was dating another certain someone who is still in possession of his ex''s rings because he simply doesn''t know what to do with them, where to go to sell them, etc.? What advice would you give regarding selling and getting the best value? I mean, can you actually sell a previously owned ring and will you get much value for it? HELP! HELP!

Signed: Girl who will never get her own ring if we can''t get rid of the old ones first.
1.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
If the place that he got it from does not offer upgrade trade-in credit, then from what I have read on this site, you will not get much at all trying to sell back to jeweler. You may get a decent price on e-bay, you can set a minimum accepted price, but this is iffy since most e-bay'ers are looking for a great deal and won't want to pay anywhere near what it is worth.

Consignment selling through a reputable jeweler might be your best bet- they can take it and try to sell it for close to what it is worth, while keeping a percentage for themselves.

If none of that works....perhaps take it out of the setting, perform an exorcism on the diamond, and reset it into a new beautiful setting for yourself. I know the thought of getting 'her' diamond might seem bad, but if you look at it as your SO bought the diamond for the person he is going to spend the rest of his life with, and that is you, then it might not seem so bad. He just bought it a little early!

Or- like the person on another thread that accidentally had a fire cleansing when trying to steam their diamond you could put it through a fire ritual to totally remove all traces of former life...sort of a rebirth of a diamond!

Here's to hoping you can get a fair trade-in for it, and that the diamond of your dreams comes into your life soon!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think I would never in a million years want Her rings. I would rather go without. However, many women don't feel that way, and if you're okay with it, lucky you.

One thing you might consider is recutting the diamond. That might work as an exorcism, and depending on the current cut of the diamond, it might well result in a much prettier (though somewhat smaller) diamond.

I think a few people have had success selling their jewelry to fellow Pricescopers. Post pictures and tons of info about the jewelry--who knows, maybe that's somebody else's dream ring, somebody who doesn't have negative associations with the previous owner.

Good luck! Remember, you got the REAL gem--Him!

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Glitterata- recutting is a great idea! That way it really wouldn't be the old one.......

I know that I probably would have to recut or sell, to be comfortable, but the resetting and exorcism was what a friend of mine did to the ring her husband had gotten for the woman before her. It probably helped that he had not given it to the previous person before they broke up. He had purchased it, held it for proposal, but then found out she cheated on him. So, it really just symbolized his love- not his love for a specific person, but just his love- and that he was glad he had found the RIGHT person to give his love to.My friend was OK with this, and is very happy with her ring.

Or perhaps you could donate it as a tax write-off? I dont know what the legalities of this are, but then it may be doing someone some good, and if you got to write of appraised value then it might make it worth it at tax time?

joe keller

Rough_Rock
RE USED DIAMOD RING,SORRY FOR THE CAPS just noticed the lock,
Being a retail jeweller what we... I do is take the diamond in trade for another diamond at a fair price it dosent matter to me who owned it , just the diamond though not the mount, its usually scrap metal

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
what you mean by a "fair price" might not be what they mean by a fair price. I'm not trying to knock what you're paying, but they will almost certainly get very little back on a diamond purchased at B&M prices... We've been hearing jewlers say something like 30% of wholesale or so, depending how well it's cut and how likely it is to move (just over 1ct, for example, is a "fast" size).

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata:
----------------
I think a few people have had success selling their jewelry to fellow Pricescopers. Post pictures and tons of info about the jewelry--who knows, maybe that's somebody else's dream ring, somebody who doesn't have negative associations with the previous owner.
----------------
I'm sorry, guys, but it is not allowed to post any jewelry/diamonds for sale here.
nono.gif

blitz

Rough_Rock
" where to go to sell them, etc.?"
" What advice would you give regarding selling and getting the best value?"
I have clients that hire me to prepare a report for "marketable cash value". I report to the client on three different markets in which to sell. Dealer:immediate payment. Auction: a traditional auction house such as Bonhams & Butterfield, Sotheby's etc... expect payment in 4-6 months and there will be a sellers fee. Consignment: could sell now or a year, make sure the jewelry store has good exposure and OTHER items on consignment, there will also be a sellers fee. You can do all this research yourself. Most city newspapers, Sunday edition, list under JEWELRY heading, "I Buy Jewelry", you can make an appointment with several dealers, and hear their offer. You can also contact an auction house and arrange to forward the item to them(insure it)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
How do you feel about using the center stone for your ring? Is it to your liking? Resale on diamonds aren't great.

That said, if I was pleased with the present diamond & I wanted to marry this man, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I like the "exorcism" preformed above though. As noted, everyone is different.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results