shape
carat
color
clarity

What should Kmom do? Some guidance please.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

Kmom has not been (too) naughty, and really needs (OK, OK, wants
11.gif
) a new sparkly. I had a couple items I'd looked at from private sellers which did not pan out. Not meant to be I guess. I scoped out a pair of O/P colored I2 earrings for $350 (or was it $250
33.gif
) from the mall and don't think I'm going there. Lo & behold, this popped up for sale by a member on DT (I go there to scout the For sale or trade thread since I'm no longer a member) and am contemplating buying it. I told the buyer I'm interested but I'm scared to spend the money without any paperwork.

1. Should I be worried that it could turn out to be not what it's said to be? I have no doubts about the seller herself, but since she acquired it from ebay I am leary.

2. Not knowing beans about OECs, does this look worth it? I'd set it into a pendant. Since learning some about diamonds, I've dreamed of owning an old cut stone, either an OEC or an OMC. Heck, I don't even know the difference.

The seller is asking $400 and though I offered her less than she's asking, she seems willing to sell it.

Here's the original auction from ebay.

Please tell me, what do you all think? All you experts on old cuts, please help me.
39.gif
12.gif
I've been nice. I promise.
11.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
why is she selling it? she must have decided very quickly that she didn''t like it, the auction only ended 6 days ago.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Let me preface this by saying I know absolutely NOTHING about OEC diamonds. What strikes me from the picture is that the diamond looks small for a .50 and from the side view it looks to be a deep cut.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input Belle and Pearcrazy. Both issues you have raised have indeed crossed my mind.

I thought it looked a little deep too, and I did indeed wonder
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
why she is turning it around so soon. Couldn''t be the sparkle since she said it sparkles just fine.
33.gif
14.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Well said, Diamond Angel.

I thought you were the same Diamond Angel we had here long ago. I just checked your profile. Never mind.
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pass
too many bad vibes.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kmom:

I know the problem with working with a small budget; and I understand that you need to have a reasonably good new sparkley thing... This is your second attempt at it (that I can remember), and there do not seem to be any reall deals out there - if you want a good looking diamond.

So here is my thoughts: Why don''t you contact someone from one of the respected businesses here (Robin at NiceIce comes to mind) and explain your wants and your buget range and ask what can be done.... What they can offer may not be a super great diamond (the focus of this forum), but may be a fairly good diamond - that will beat any of the items that look like deals elsewhere. They also occaionaly have items that they have taken in trade.

One of the interesting thing I learned about NiceIce today: They have normal fluoresent lighting in their store so that people can see what the diamonds look like in normal lighting. They do have a few "spotlights" that they can turn on to show people the effect of what happens to a poor diamond in "special store" lighting (like at the malls and their competitors).

Hope this helps.

Perry

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 9:34
6.gif
4 PM
Author: strmrdr
pass
too many bad vibes.
Gotta love ya strm. Love that direct approach.
9.gif

Perry you speak with a voice of reason. Are you Bagpuss in disguise?
35.gif
J/K. You''re right, it''s my second time I''ve asked for help on the forum about this. What you don''t know is that I also had another potential (or was it two?) come my way, only for the seller(s) to back out in the end. Can''t even remember already.

If it''s not meant to be I really could benefit by not spending the money. It''s not a rush thing but if I see something I like that comes my way I''ll take a closer look. That''s all that''s going on here. But like Storm and Belle have said, doesn''t seem right with this one either.

I''m going to walk away from it.

Thanks guys.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KMom:

No, but perhaps I''d like to meet Bagpus...

Have a great holiday.

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now for the less direct approach.
Have you looked into colored gemstones?
For your budget you could get a ton higher bling level in colored stones.
Like em sparky - well cut zircon
Like em dark blue - sapphire
Like em red - ruby
From there the options are near endless :}

imho a well cut light blue zircon has the best sizzle to cost factor of anything availalbe.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Storm I know you are a colored stone nut. Frankly I like all the colors and that's my problem de jour. LOL.
9.gif
14.gif

I've dreamed of owning an old cut stone. I'm not closed to ANY options. Keep those suggestions coming. And since I'm easy too
11.gif
, how bout some pics to go with your suggestions?
12.gif
Me likey sparkle of any kind.
12.gif
36.gif

P.S. No offense to any sim lovers here, but "zircron" sounds soooooo sim like. Is that a real stone or a sim cuz......I'm not into sims of any kind at all. Again, no offense. I plead ignorance.
12.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Kmom! I can understand you--I am intrigued by OMCs and OECs and would someday to have one, like from Fay Cullen or something. They are just so interesting--and beautiful.

I have been burned so many times by eBay and others (I must be too naive) so I am always afraid.... But there is always that hope of finiding the deal of the century....
3.gif
2.gif

Have you checked out Fay Cullen? What about other ebay auctions for vintage jewelry--there are some reputable people selling vintage with physical locations and a decent profile--and if you pay with a credit card, you''re always protected. What does this DT lady say about returning it if you''re not happy? Does she use PayPal where you''re protected?

Hang in there and keep plugging. I know it''s out there!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I let her know by email that I was no longer going to pursue the stone. Without any further reply from her, I learned that she sold the stone to her jeweler.

Thanks Jflo, something''s out there for Kmom. I''ve been a real nice girl, afterall.
11.gif
12.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Storm, thanks for the inservice on zircron. Those blue ones look yummy and I was excited to learn that they are the December birthstone since I have 2 boys born in December.
32.gif
This has always been an extra challenging month for me because of that.
14.gif

Anyway, the yellows are nice too. Looks like a nice substitute to my yellow or "warm" fix that I''ve been having lately. Pinks are nice too. Teal? Orange?
9.gif

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results