shape
carat
color
clarity

What's your opinion on this Vintage Set?

Berts

Rough_Rock
Some of you may have seen I've been looking at Halo rings but these Vintage rings also have caught my eye. What sucks is you don't have a GIA on the diamond. Who knows what the cut is and honestly, I couldn't tell you a good diamond from a bad one looking at them in person. I have zero experience.

There should be a picture that shows up,

This is the description, They got the estimates from a local jeweler who has been doing this for 38 years and will meet me there to talk about it. It's a friend of a friend.

Engagement ring is platinum, Est .51ct, VVS2, F. Wedding band is 18K gold. It was part of an estate which they bought in 1944 and family owned since originally purchased. For what it's work the "Appraisal" is $3,000.

They are asking $2,150 firm. I'm thinking I can get them down to $2,000 but hoping for more.

It got a quote and for $100 I can get both resized.

Seems like a good deal to me, I love the look, comes with a wedding band so that saves some $ down the road. More for the honey moon eh!

Ohh, She is a size 7.5, would this ring seem way small on her finger?

00l0l_7tp5bc1ked_600x450.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she mind an estate piece for her e-ring and wedding set? Some women don't mind but some are very particular about it being new or never worn before.

Berts

Rough_Rock
She prefers a used one. She is an extremely frugal woman and if it was up to her my budget would be $200. She found a silver engagement ring with a CZ for $85 and wanted me to buy that. I can't do that.

My issue is I have the $2,500 cash. So that's my budget I would like to stick to. I am willing to go up to $4,000 for the right ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether it is too small will depend on her comfort zone. For most women, it probably is but there are some who might find that it's just right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1420750346|3813669 said:
If you are looking for vintage rings, this one from Wink is the one I would buy:

http://www.winkjones.com/index.php?page=store-product-detail&id=214

It's been recommended to several people and I can't believe it's still up for sale. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I can't see much from the pics you posted. Need a much closer head on view of the stone.

Ditto the Wink ring. It's gorgeous and looks well cut to boot for an old cut stone.

Berts

Rough_Rock
That is a pretty ring for sure. I actually like that it's gold and not platinum. Should have lots of flare with all the diamonds. The size is rights.

Any concern about the color? It does give it character for it's time, it's vintage so it's what you get.

Any idea how old it would be? Old Miner Cut and all?

Berts

Rough_Rock
It's it worth something to have the matching set or not really? I guess I would always look for a vintage wedding band to do with it for $500 at a later time. Something that is close.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not care for that stone at all. The setting is nice but Wink's stone is so much better and Wink might be able to give you an idea of the age of the stone if you contact him. Do you know how she feels about lower colored stones?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is preference. Some people are more 'matchy matchy' and some are more mix and match. I like a more mix and match style, but most ladies I know prefer to have the matching set.

Berts

Rough_Rock
She won't care about the lower color, that's me ha ha. She isn't the type of person who wears diamonds, she even said that last night. She would never wear a pair of diamond earrings. She likes turquoise, thinks like that. A $7 pair of earrings is perfect for her.

We looked last night and she kept liking the cheap $1,500 halo rings from Fred Meyer with a .25ct diamond.We were buying groceries there and stopping in there to look quick. I'm was saying Noooooooooo!

You can tell looking at the picture the diamond isn't that great of a cut?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
liaerfbv|1420750346|3813669 said:
If you are looking for vintage rings, this one from Wink is the one I would buy:

http://www.winkjones.com/index.php?page=store-product-detail&id=214

It's been recommended to several people and I can't believe it's still up for sale. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I can't see much from the pics you posted. Need a much closer head on view of the stone.

I have suggested this ring to a number of people, but for various reasons it has never met the criteria.

This is a great pick, at a great price!

Berts

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. Keep em coming ha ha.

How do you feel about buying a ring over the internet like this? No GIA, etc.

Thanks again!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Berts|1420758733|3813759 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. Keep em coming ha ha.

How do you feel about buying a ring over the internet like this? No GIA, etc.

Thanks again!

I bought my diamond from Jewels by Grace so I'd be very comfortable with it. The Jewels by Grace one has a qualitative report (click the link for additional pictures) from appraiser, David Atlas, who is highly respected and well-known in his field. So, I feel comfortable with his assessment despite no GIA certificate. You can google David's name on pricescope, he used to post here as well.

Wink also has a fabulous reputation, goes the extra mile for his clients, but I have not bought from him personally.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, have admired that ring from Wink and also can not believe it has not sold. If I didn't have a stash of similar sized old cuts, I would have snatched it up LOOOONG ago. :love:

OP - if your intended is not one for "big" diamonds, but you want to offer her a nice ring you can be proud of that is preloved and well within your budget, this one is bang on!

And you won't meet a kinder, nicer, more friendly person than Wink with whom to do business. I wouldn't hesitate to call (vs emal) him and ask any questions you might have. I wish I found myself in his part of the country just to pop in and talk. The couple times I have called on him, it's like picking up with an 'ol friend.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously I don't know your GF's taste! If it were I, I would prefer the Tiffany set from Erica Grace! Is there anyway you can get her input on style?

Berts

Rough_Rock
She doesn't like yellow gold and that Tiffany is way over budget. She would seriously be very very upset if I spend $5,500 on a ring. We don't believe in debt, buy what you can afford and our saying goes "It's not the best but it's paid for".

I honestly don't think she really knows what she likes and I think she would be happy with whatever I give her. I'm leaning towards a Vintage so the ring won't just be a cheaper ring that everyone has. It will be different and have character if that makes any sense. Maybe make up my lack of finances for originality if you will ha ha.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's all a question of taste, but here's my input:

The ring you posted is not awful, but also not spectacular.

My personal favorite is the Winks ring. The styling is beautiful as are the diamonds, and its somewhat unique in style but very, very wearable. And trust us, those old cut diamond will put on a wonderful light show when your GF is out and about - the've gained a huge following here for a reason. My only hesitation with that ring is that I don't believe it will accommodate a flush-fit wedding band, which some women prefer. Then again, it's a beautiful stand-alone piece.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can't go wrong, given what you've said about your GF, with either the Wink ring or the .57 ct. ring from Jewels by Grace. Both are great choices.

Berts

Rough_Rock
I didn't even think about flush fit wedding bands ha ha. I guess that's something else I need to look at. She did say she would prefer a flush fitting.

When I first started looking at rings I thought this would be easy, it's ways harder than I anticipated.

Thanks for all your help so far. If you have any other ring idea's please post them.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh - I was just making the point that these rings seem to be very specialized tastes, not so much what your budget - that Tiff ring IS Platinum, not yellow gold.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Berts|1420772701|3813850 said:

It's a fairly common vintage style - if you look, you'll probably find several similar type rings out there. I prefer the Wink stone to any of the other rings posted, but Wink and JBG are reputable sellers and I'd have no issues with buying from them (online or not).

Berts

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I didn't notice that's what you were doing. I agree, they are pretty specialized. The Tiffany loos yellow, it's a very nice ring don't get me wrong.

I showed her 25 "random" pictures of rings and 6 made the final cut. The Winks make it, also the old Euro Cut from Jewels by Grace posted above made it, This one made it and is her favorite http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/floral-halo-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_41946?elem=img&track=product At least I have a better idea of what she likes.

She likes the vintage look as well as the modern so it's hard to judge. It was half and half modern to vintage rings.

This is hard, I'm sure she will be happy with whatever she gets and I'm way over thinking this but it's hard not to overthink.

For fun I posted a picture of a $25K ring and she liked is ha ha. I crossed that one off the list for her.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
You've done a good job trying to narrow it down. At the end of the day, she likes what she likes. That blue Nile ring is similar to what you posted in your other thread, maybe you should stick with that style?

The .57 ring from jewels by grace is a die struck piece which really appeals to me but from the sounds of it, that type of feature isn't something that will sway her. You're both lucky and unlucky to have such an easy going soon-to-be fiancé :D As I'm sure you can tell, most PSers have a taste for getting into the finer details of all things jewellery related.

If you're not sure what the big deal is about die struck rings here's a good educational link: http://www.langantiques.com/university/index.php/Die_Struck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results