shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the right price for this clarity enhanced diamond?

salmosri

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am really new to all of this and I have been to a store to look for an engagement ring and I was shown this stone which seemed great and looked good with a platinum ring. I just can't find anywhere to do a comparison for prices to know if I am getting a good deal or ripped off! This is from a jewelry store in NYC's diamond district.

Any help would be appreciated!

Shape: Round Brilliant
Lab: EGA
Weight: 1.03 Carats
Measurements: 6.53-6.57 x 3.97 MM
Clarity: SI2
Color: F
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Clarity Enhanced

What would be the value of this - I don't want to write down what I was quoted as not to influence answers yet - but i will once i've had a few answers (if any hopefully!)

Thanks,
Shadi

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Re: What's the right price for this clarity enhanced diamond

salmosri|1397659230|3654328 said:
Hi All,

I am really new to all of this and I have been to a store to look for an engagement ring and I was shown this stone which seemed great and looked good with a platinum ring. I just can't find anywhere to do a comparison for prices to know if I am getting a good deal or ripped off! This is from a jewelry store in NYC's diamond district.

Clarity Enhanced

What would be the value of this - I don't want to write down what I was quoted as not to influence answers yet - but i will once i've had a few answers (if any hopefully!)

Thanks,
Shadi

It's way too hard for someone to give you an opinion on the value of this stone as there are far to many variables you have left out.

Is it graded by EGL? You wrote EGA... What lab specifically.

The fact that it's an SI2 after being enhanced is troubling for me. Can I ask your budget because depending on that I think you could do much better (perhaps not as big). But have a stone that would perform much better and be better overall value.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock

Did you enter the diamond shopping process looking for a clarity enhanced stone? I really have no idea what a CE stone with these stats would go for, but usually they are marked-up terribly compared to what the market actually values them at. You will probably receive a lot of advice steering you away from CE stones, and will get suggestions to buy an un-enhanced diamond with a good upgrade policy if your current budget will not allow for what you would ultimately like to buy. Best of luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, CE stones are a very bad way to spend your money. I honestly would buy a good simulant over a CE diamond. There are all kinds of problems CE stones can have. I suggest looking for a smaller GIA graded diamond instead. You can put it into a halo setting to make it look larger if you want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1397661051|3654348 said:
Yes, CE stones are a very bad way to spend your money. I honestly would buy a good simulant over a CE diamond. There are all kinds of problems CE stones can have. I suggest looking for a smaller GIA graded diamond instead. You can put it into a halo setting to make it look larger if you want.

Agree. I would not buy a CE diamond. Or an EGL stone for that matter.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/ClarityEnhancedDiamonds/

info on clarity enhanced diamonds. Sorry I don't know what a ce diamond with those stats would sell for, perphaps one of the vendors such as the one above can weigh in.

I personally am not a fan. Cost being an issue, I would do as someone else suggested and go for a smaller higher quality diamond and put it in a halo or multistone setting for a larger look. I Would definitely avoid the fake stone route as previously mentioned.

salmosri

Rough_Rock

Hi All,

Thank you so much for you responses.

Firstly I am aware of what CE diamonds are - thus I am not being tricked into them.

The Diamond certification is from EDGL.

I am being offered this stone + the platinum solitaire ring for $3000 USD.

Alot of people say do not buy a CE diamond - now I am not planning to sell this diamond again thus I am not worried about resale value. As long as the diamond is not exposed to high heat or acid then it should hold its enhancement. Is there anything more that I should be concerned about? (especially at this price range?)

Is this a fair price for this diamond or are there any other options that people could suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Shadi

10263421_10153984456425562_1589089044_o.jpg

salmosri

Rough_Rock

I am happy to look at others, it doesn't have to be big I think i would just like something nice within budget that isn't tiny!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

No price I wouldn't start my process looking at CE stones why would you want a diamongs with a drill hole or laser or heat treated when you can have "real diamond' it is unique to say I know what I am getting into....

........Rather go smaller for an ideal cut GIA, AGS stone. We will help you here no worries There are at least two vendors on 47th street that are vendors ERD and IRD IRD has a booth and ERD is in one of the buildings on 5th ave and 47th . look at our vendor list above for addresses. GOG also is on Long Island and has amazing inventory and can get you other stones

Good old Gold .70 Vintage August beautiful stone

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=17&ctMin=&ctMax=&clarity=&color=&sym=&polish=&agsCutGrd=&giaCutGrd=&cert=&certNum=&optSym=64&tblMin=&tblMax=&depthMin=&depthMax=&crnAMin=&crnAMax=&crnDMin=&crnDMax=&pavAMin=&pavAMax=&pavDMin=&pavDMax=&grdlMin=&grdlMax=&fluo=&priceMin=&priceMax=&wireMin=&wireMax=&widthMin=&widthMax=&lenMin=&lenMax=&culet=&depthPctMin=&depthPctMax=&upGrdlMin=&upGrdlMax=&lowGrdlMin=&lowGrdlMax=&dateMin=&dateMax=&inHouse=&resultsColumns=268435535

salmosri

Rough_Rock

So regarding price if I was to get a CE diamond with the spec above does anyone know what a good value for it would be?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No one here will recommend a CE diamond... Risk, performance, value you are not winning.

There area number of options presented... Options that include certificates from recognized labs or upgrade options from reliable vendors.

CE is not a good decision.... :nono:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

salmosri|1397670430|3654476 said:
Is this a fair price for this diamond or are there any other options that people could suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Shadi
Don't flush $$$ down the toilet buy a natural diamond.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

salmosri|1397693865|3654709 said:
So regarding price if I was to get a CE diamond with the spec above does anyone know what a good value for it would be?
I did a search of Sold listings on eBay & reviewed the info that can be quickly gleaned from the feedback pages of the 2 NYC-based merchants who seem to specialize in selling CE stones. Tough to make a truly reliable comparison because they use IGL & provide IGL's assessment of cut, which is missing from your lab report.

But it looks as if comparable stones have actually sold for $1700-2000 -- except for a few sales made to people who were foolish enough to pay $4000 or so. The price of a platinum, solitaire setting will depend on the ring size & how weighty the mounting; I saw some on eBay that looked pretty crude and lightweight. So take a look at American Set's eBay pages to calculate the price of new, relatively inexpensive but decent semi-mounts from a reliable company:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/americanset

But I'm joining the others in encouraging you to abandon this idea; it's just not "a good value." Look at what PS'ers have recently found for people with a $1000 budget!
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...need-help-1000-budget-engagement-ring.199967/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-put-together-a-1-000-e-ring.195510/

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

salmosri|1397659230|3654328 said:
Hi All,

Clarity Enhanced

Thanks,
Shadi

I'll comment on the possible value of it since no-one else here is going to throw themselves under the bus so to speak and do so. You are getting a stone that has been enhanced to a misgraded SI2 what does this really mean? It started life as a I2 or I3 so what we term drill bit quality/commercial quality (not used generally for jewellery) and people filled it and laser drilled it and made it around an I1 or less by GIA standards and they took it to a dodgey lab (because you are looking at a certificate from what we term a non reliable lab) who has labelled it an SI2 to make it more appealing to it's customers. It is highly likely it's not an F colour I'd say if you are lucky it's a H or an I at best, probably lower in colour if we compared it apples for apples by GIA standards.

So what you are really getting is a $300.00 to $500.00 Asian made platinum setting (which if you like I can recommend someone in the US or ebay sellers in China that can make you the same setting for the same price) a very fast look on ebay and I found this one for $359.00 but I am sure you could find a nicer one;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Round-6-5mm-Solid-Platinum-PT900-Setting-Engagement-Semi-mount-Ring-U060-/310927186345?pt=US_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item4864b459a9

Plus a stone that is really now a clarity enhanced I1 or I2 by GIA standards (it started life as a I2 or an I3) with a colour less than what they are selling you worth around $1000.00 or less for the diamond.

So you have a ring worth around $1000/$1200.00 at the low end and $1400.00/$1500 at the high end. I'd guess the sharks you are buying it from are at least doubling if not tripling their money so if it is $3000.00 for you to buy then my estimate should be fairly correct.

Sorry to be blunt but you keep asking it's value so I am putting it into clear perspective for you.

Smores84

Shiny_Rock

PLEASE NO!

I owned a CE stone for 5 years without even knowing it. DH was a student on a budget of $1700 when we got engaged in 2005 and he insisted on picking out the stone himself with absolutely no input from me, and got a CE stone that was sold as "1.03 ct SI2 natural diamond" on Ebay.

It looked eyeclean, but it never did *shine* despite the good cut.

We only found out about the enhancement when we tried to put it into a new setting, the heat destroyed/dissolved the enhancing material in the center of the stone.

I wish that I had pictures before getting rid of it. If you saw the state that it is in after the heat damage I am sure that you would run fast away from a CE stone.

Just my opinion: no price is low enough for me to take a CE stone again.

Best of luck with your search & please do let us know if we can help you in your search :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Would you consider backing up the train a bit... and letting us know if you two would be amenable to
* something other than a round brilliant cut, e.g., a marquise
* white gold -- or palladium -- instead of platinum
* a pre-loved ring (if so, ring size would be really useful to know)

Have you given any thought to not purchasing an e-ring & using that money for a nicer (however you might define that) wedding band? Or something other than a diamond? The PS'ers on the Colored Stones forum would welcome you there :))
https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/colored-stones.11/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results