shape
carat
color
clarity

What price difference does the certifying lab make?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AFOGD

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I was curious if anyone had any idea what difference the various labs meant for the price of a stone. So, for example, suppose you had a well-cut 1-carat round brilliant. How much would it go for (online or in-store retail) if it was uncertified, if it had a GIA report, or an EGL (or EGLLA) report, or and AGS report, or an IGI report.

Is there a 10% difference between uncerted and GIA? 15%? 5%?
How about IGI and GIA?
EGL and GIA?

Anyway, I''ve seen people talk about which is prefered, but I''m wondering what economic difference it makes to buyers and sellers. Of course, I''m sure that no hard-and-fast rule can be given ("In stones between 1.00 and 1.05, there is a 8.11% premium for a GIA report over an uncerted stone.") I''d be interested in any opinions.

AFOGD

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With 50% difference in the price per carat for the same type (color, clarity, shape) among sellers, it is hard to answer precisely. EGL stones consistently turn out the cheapest on the list here, under the assumption taht their color and clarity grades are looser than GIA or AGS ones.

You may find quite a few threads on the topic.

The more expensive rounds (grades kept equal) come with AGS certs, just because their color and clarity is considered as strict as GIA's , and AGS woud also include cut details that GIA does not...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
In January we ran some stats: Diamond Grading Labs and Pricing

Data for January, 2004

% Price difference compared to GIA better cut rounds Rounds (Ex/Ex Pol/Sym, 59% - 63% Depth, 53% - 58% Table)

LAB RB Well Cut All RB All Fancies
GIA 0% -5.7% -15.7%
AGS +6.5% +5.5% -
EGL-USA -9.1% -14.8% -18.5%
EGL(Other) -13.0% -17.3% -21.4%

AFOGD

Rough_Rock
Wow! I hadn't realized that that that detailed research had been done. Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
not very detailed... just some average figures to show the trend. Don't use them as a guideline - there should be fluctuations.

AFOGD

Rough_Rock
I just appreciate that the rough trend snapshot is available. It is very interesting. Thanks for the effort.

sunseeker

Rough_Rock
Hi! Don't be afraid to purchase an EGL USA stone. Mine is a EGL USA certified round brilliant, 1.16 ct., G color, VS2. When I purchased it, I took it right away to a GIA gemologist for an appraisal and it all was the same. I was a bit apprehensive buying EGL USA because of what I read here mainly about color, but I got a great price on the stone and didn't want to pass it up (luckily the stone also came with a 100% money back guarantee, so I couldn't go wrong). It's beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for the world, especially since it appraised as well as it did.

If you do go with EGL, make sure the certificate says EGL USA!!!

If you do buy other than GIA, just be sure to take the stone to a GIA gemologist for the appraisal. Also, find a jeweler that guarantees your money back within a reasonable amount of time if you do find that the certificate doesn't match up with the appraisal. Good luck!

~ Sunseeker
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results