shape
carat
color
clarity

What Online Retailer is the Best for Cushion Cut Diamonds? Diamonds.com, Blue Nile, Good Old Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BristowVA

Rough_Rock
The Setting

I''m in Bristow, VA 65 miles outside of Washington, D.C. searching for a square cushion to upgrade my wife''s ring as a 25th anniversary present. Some of the retail estalibshments in and around my area are dreadfully priced with horrendous selections - so I''m contemplating the net for the best price and variety.

The setting that has been picked out is http://weddings.theknot.com/Wedding-Rings/27526/detailview.aspx?id=27526&type=27&count=11&copos=2&TM=27 in platinum.

The Diamond

I''m currently looking in the 2.15-2.50 ct range with a wife''s empasis on size and cut. Meaning, I am willing to drop down to as low as an I/SI1 for something a little larger with great fire that is visibly clean to the naked eye. My biggest concerns are value, cut quality and how the diamond shows in the ring. I''m looking to spend between $10k and $16k depending and have the time to wait until I find a great deal or something really catches my eye.

The Questions

(1) Best Online Retailer for Cushions: First, as a skeptic of all things online, for a purchase of this magnitude who can you trust? There is such a wide variety of diamonds and retailers out there - I''ve seen local retailers pushing duds for $25k in this range.

Who to trust? Personally, I like what I''ve seen from Good Old Gold''s website with videos of each of the rocks but their selection is pretty limited and their prices schew a little higher. I think, at minimum, I will need to see a video of a rock before I buy it.

Diamonds.com and Blue Nile have some great selections and prices that beat most - but you don''t even get to see a picture of the actual diamond before you purchase it?

So if you were buying online - where would you go for the best price and best quality?

(2) What to look for in a cushion?

So, I know I want size, sparkle and fire and am somewhat willing to compromise on color and clarity standards to get it. Without a doubt I need to go H/I color and higher to match the diamonds in the setting but what else do I look for to ensure that I don''t get a dud?

(3) Custom Made Setting?

Last but not least - I''ve been quoted $7,000 for the Kara setting. What is his reputation? Is it worth it or should I go custom to try and match the style? Will it save money or be a disaster?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
1)GoodOldGold is based in Long Island, not that far from DC, I think it is worth it for you to make an appointment and take a look personally. Their stones are developed by themselves, are consistent in performance, you will have to pay a premium for these. Or you can get Mark of EngagementRingDirect to source some stones for you.

2)You will need ASET images at least.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stick to vendors such as

www.goodoldgold.com who have the diamonds in house and all the info you need to make an informed choice, photos, ASET etc. Buying a fancy shape from a vendor like Blue Nile is really buying blind in my opinion as they do not provide images which are essential. No way of knowing what you have until you open the box.

GOG have their own branded cushion now plus hand selected cushions which meet their standards for beauty and performance.
If you can get to NY also you could try Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com also www.exceldiamonds.com are in NYC.

If you don't mind buying online without seeing the diamond you can also try www.whiteflash.com www.niceice.com

tulips

Shiny_Rock
Yeah,, i think buying from goodoldgold -Jon is best for cushion !!!

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Engagement Rings Direct and Good Old Gold should both be pretty reliable. If you''re still a bit skeptical, see if you can have them send the diamond(s) to an appraiser near you so you can sit with the appraiser and look at the diamond together in person. And you can decide whether you want to buy it or send it back.

Videos and pictures do help a bit, but they can be shot to make the same diamond look very good or very bad, depending on the tools/techniques used.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I have personally bought from GOG, I can attest to their honesty. But more than that, they have the most beautiful cushions I have EVER seen! You just need to let them know the size you''re looking for and they can let you know when they might get one in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results