shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes a matching set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Introspector

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was curious as to what specifically makes a matching set, as far as the engagement ring and the wedding band? Obviously, they should be of the same metal, but what other parameters are there? The only other thing I can think of is the thickness/width of the bands?

And - as per my previous post - since I am considering getting a diamond wedding band (and that first...long story), what exactly do I need to do to ensure this and the engagement ring will match?

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I think you're on the right track. I tend to think that putting a set together is a personal decision based on your style and taste. I personally like it when the e-ring and wedding band are of the same or similar widths. I've seen some people with a thin e-ring and super wide band and I didn't really like that too much. It's all up to you, just look around until you find a ring that you think looks nice with your e-ring.

My e-ring is a solitaire, very minimal. My wedding band is a princess-cut eternity band. They're both of the same width and both simple rings, so I personally think they look great together. (I think eternity bands match just about any style e-ring).

I think the best way to go is to try on a lot of different styles with your ring and find what you like.

Introspector

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Sumi. BTW, with respect to your eternity ring, are you worried about not being able to alter its size if needbe? That's the one thing that's holding me back from purchasing that style (vs. a style where diamonds only cover part of it) for my girlfriend-hopefully-soon-to-be-fiance. Are gals generally concerned with needing that flexibility?

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I know I am not Sumi, but I do have a bezel eternity ring as my wedding band. I know how it can be a hassle to size the ring especially if you are me, I fluctuate a lot in finger sizes from summer to winter. I resolved the problem by having my ring about 1/2 size bigger than what I usually wear and have had the jeweler add sizing beads ( risers ) put into the shank of my ring to accomodate the problem. so far so good. It doen't bother me at all. But I have heard people saying that they can feel them. I don't. I guess it's a matter of preference.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
No, I guess I'm not too worried about re-sizing the ring. My weight doesn't fluctuate too much. I'll probably gain some weight as I get older (I'm still in my late twenties), but I don't think that will happen for a while. At that point, I might want a new ring anyway. You never know.

There are also eternity band type rings where there are only diamonds on half the ring, and the other half is metal. I'm sure those can be re-sized without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results