shape
carat
color
clarity

What Makes a Diamond Look Like Frozen Spit??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I was in a local jewelry store today cruising the counters. They had some diamonds that were sparkly but,.... They were milky, WHITE, not clear like my H&A. You can''t see through them at all.

What makes diamonds look like that?? Is it tons of microscopic inclusions?? I believe it was Diamond Bob''s thread talking about the cheap diamond bracelets for Christmas, where he commented those diamonds were I5 clarity.

So does anyone know why some diamonds look like that?
confused.gif
read.gif
rolleyes.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
LMAO!

I was planning to post a similar question - but you did it artfully.
appl.gif

I was curious too cause I met up with some engaged friends last week and we were checking out each others rings and I noticed that both of their stones looked different from all the beautiful stones I see on here.
1.gif

They were very white - but milky in a sense, sparkled slightly and had strong flashes of fire. Both are RBs of about 1.3 to 1.5. Neither girl knew the specs.

I am so confused! What is up with their stones?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
HeeeHeee Jeni!

I really want to know too! I know a gal who had a 2 carat F color frozen spit e-ring and 2 ctw frozen spit studs. Seeing those today made me really wonder why they look like that.

These were like you described. Firey but no light return other than colored light. I guess being firey, the cut couldn't be all together too bad, but.... That milky white color!
14.gif
I didn't get to loupe any, but it looked like tons and tons of microscopic white inclusions/pinpoints??!!
confused.gif

BTW, Jeni,.... Your avitar is my daughter's favorite Care Bear! She wuvs the blue Bedtime Bear!
love.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Check out this real beauty from EBay!! Look at that FIRE!
1.gif

untitled12.JPG

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just a guess, but I think it could have something to do with a combination of inclusions, and cut...I think that a lot of mall-type stones are cut to retain carat weight - so they could be a very spready cut, giving the impression of milkiness instead of depth/contrast?

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
That ebay stone is way worse than my friends - boy is that UGLY!

I really would love to here and expert chime in here - I am dying to know WHY stones look like this.

PQ - I love my care bears. I have bedtime bear! My FI got him for me for part of my anniversary present in April. I also have a Birthday Bear - just bought that for myself.
1.gif
That's the one I had as a kid.
What can I say, I'm a child of the 80s, and a big kid who still loves teddy bears. My FI took a really funny picture of me once sleeping with all three of my bears in my arms. I look like I am 8! Hee Hee.
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eewwww Derek! I want that one! It is to die for! NOT!
14.gif

CG, that's an interesting thought about the cut. I'm gonna have to go back and ask to see one with a loupe and see if it is a sea of inclusions or just and optical illusion.
4.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Derek, what's the clarity grade on that stone? My guess would be an I3. If it's an ebay stone, it's an I1.
9.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
It's an H I2 EGL certed stone... here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2676338305&category=10216#ebayphotohosting

The SCARY thing is, there are like 9... YES NINE!! bids on this thing.

If you want to see some real "doozies," do an Ebay search for "diamond I3"

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then there are those "P" grades and "Declasse" (is this EGL terminology?).

I could not agree more that inclusions are the culprit: and not clouds of small ones but really as many big ones
8.gif
as the volume of the stone would allow. Those shold make a good case for just how many inclusions one needs to start worrying about a cut diamond's structural integrity. And, no, I have no idea why people spend on these instead of a stunning...garnet (?) which would fall in the same price range.

But yes, there are diamonds blessed with tones of evenly spaced, microscopic inclusions (actually not discernible under commercial optical microscopes): those things look like a hazy moonstone and are not all that rare (just rarely cut) some display opalescence for a puzzling effect indeed. But neither type would ever be found in a Mall. Actuall, getting a "moonstone" ring stone with the hardness of diamond sounds appealing to this customer here
4.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Jeni~ My daughter is 14 and one of her girlfriends is 16. They are both into Care Bears. We have T's, sleepwear, a pillow, you name it.
12.gif

Val! Great info yet again. Opalescence. That is probably a better description than fire. LOL Structural integrity issues! Hummm. Hadn't even thought of that one!
6.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
wavey.gif
Hi everyone!

Bump! Hoping for additional input.
rodent.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
holy moly...for fun, I just checked out the ebay I3 stones Derekinla was talking about - um, lets just say that I have seen scratched glass wash up onto shore at the beach after bobbing around in the ocean for 25 years that looks better that that crud! Bleh!

Thanks for a good chuckle!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
*Bump* Hoping for more lovely pics of some real "gems" people have come across in their search for frozen spit
2.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Lawgem,

LMAO!!
1.gif
eek.gif
Why would ANYONE mount that???!@#?@#?
errrr.gif
The first one at least looks "white" and I can kind of see how an inexperienced newbie might fall for it (after several beers), but the second one boggles the mind. But hey, it's a REAL diamond
2.gif
And did you see that piece of lint under the prong at 10 O'Clock?
wacko.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Ben! How thoughtful! That first pic is just what I had in mind!
16.gif

But I do have to say, that second one is really something else, again. I'd go for that one 'cause it has that great "birthmark" right under the table. I'd be able to identify my diamond anywhere!
naughty.gif

All I want for Christmas is some frozen spit! Some frozen spit!
Up_to_something.gif

Everybody sing!
9.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Once upon a time not too far in the past ... about seven or eight years ago. The United States Department of Defense sold off its large supply of "industrial diamonds".
Not long after that there was a huge supply of very very cheap diamond jewelry. On the wholesale level this stuff sells for $50 or less per carat and I am talking about diamonds that are already faceted, not rough.

Most diamonds that are mined out of the diamond pipes, not the alluvial deposits in the rivers and the sea, are industrial diamonds that never get used in the jewelry industry. These industrial diamonds were funneled to the industrial needs. When the Pentagon auctioned off its industrial diamonds guess who had the highest bid for many of the lots?

Cheap rough + cheap labor = frozen spit I5 clarity diamonds. How do you think a 5ct total weight diamond bracelet in 14kt yellow gold can sell for $495? And they still make a profit! You can see the Christmas TV adds.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This one is a real winner too. Talk about carbon spots.

carbonstone.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Is that a picture of the moon???
eek.gif

Industrial grade diamonds?? Really??
errrr.gif

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I missed all the fun yesterday...
8.gif

That first one Law Gem posted is just what I was talking about. What makes it look that way?
That second one, well, I don't know what to say!
14.gif

And don't ask why I'm up at this ungodly hour.
cry.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/6/2003 1:14:53 AM pqcollectibles wrote:

Is that a picture of the moon???
eek.gif

Industrial grade diamonds?? Really??
errrr.gif
----------------

No--an eBay diamond... This vendor has some real junk. Check this stunner out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?

cloudy.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
It's not that I wonder why the stones look like that -- I wonder why anyone would take the time to cut a stone like that and then mount it as jewelry. Furthermore, I wonder who would ever buy that. I can understand if it said you were getting an SI3 stone and you were shocked when you opened a package of frozen spit, but why would anyone ever knowingly buy a diamond like that? I mean, I know that sometimes your woman wants a 2 carat diamond and you're only willing to spend $800, but does this woman not notice the imperfections? Is she pleased with this gift? I know a gift is a gift, but I think I would just be upset that my guy wasted a perfectly good $800 on crap.

Hello! Just buy a simulant!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/6/2003 7:13:07 PM phoenixgirl wrote:

I know that sometimes your woman wants a 2 carat diamond and you're only willing to spend $800, but does this woman not notice the imperfections? Is she pleased with this gift? I know a gift is a gift, but I think I would just be upset that my guy wasted a perfectly good $800 on crap.

Hello! Just buy a simulant!
----------------

Problem can be in guy's thinking size is more important than quality...

appl.gif

Some of us are just plain cheap, but will get you what you want...Are approach might be flawed, but our intent is probably genuine...Lol...
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts exactly, PhoenixGirl! Why would anyone Buy/Sell much less Cut a diamond that looks like that??
confused.gif
confused.gif

The 1st pic that Law Gem posted and the ring pic that Jennifer posted are very much like the diamonds I saw when I was out shopping the other day. I took a spin into a local B&M for entertainment and they had an entire display of diamond studs that were WHITE. It was bizarre! And, then I realized, I've seen women wearing e-ring with things that look like that. That got me to wonder what makes those "diamonds" (and I use that term loosely at this point) look like that. My problem then, was how to I post the query to grab attention and get some answers. My daughter gave me the idea. As we were walking out of the shop, she said, "More frozen spit, Mom."
4.gif

I PM'd Rich Sherwood for his input. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing his thoughts:

"Usually the milkiness is caused by clouds of microscopic pinpoints throughout the stone. Sometimes just loads of feathers combined with "salt & pepper" crystal inclusions can give the same effect.

Heavily included stones usually do have a certain durability risk factor over that of a higher quality stone. Surface breaking feather in particular can threaten the integrity of the stone, particularly if they run to the girdle."

EEeenteresting! Very EEeenteresting!
eek.gif

Luv the eBay pics, guys!
love.gif
Great for education and demonstation!
2.gif

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
Hey now, go easy on Ebay. I've used Ebay numerous times both as buyer and user and have had nothing short of stellar results. OK, so there may be a few diamonds of so so quality up for auction. But at least they are honest. Take a look at this one I found:

The description under the pic says: 10 time magnified...We promise..."U GET WHAT U SEE" /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

gh

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
IMHO anything under I2 classifies as "drill bit"

Seeing as how you can get marginally face-up eye clean stones for a few hundred a carat, I don't see the point to anyone mounting this stuff....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
At that point the setting is worth more than the stone.

Hey but at least it's WHITE! No yellow there!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results