shape
carat
color
clarity

What Makes a Diamond Look Like Frozen Spit??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Kinda looks like someone mixed gelatin with skim milk and left it in an egg shaped mold in the fridge.
eek.gif
2.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
I won't bother to get permission to post the pics here, but here is a link to a couple of dozen "beauties"...http://www.diamondrough.com/polishedcloseouts/page_poc2a.html

Enjoy!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here's the link to the website DiamondExpert posted. Me likes posting links now that me knows how to do it!!

Thanks DE!

Close Outs???!!!
confused.gif
Should be SHUT DOWN!!!
naughty.gif
Really!! Who would want to pilfer those images anyway??
Up_to_something.gif
Except maybe us! HeeHee
9.gif

I especially liked the one on the 2nd row from the top, far left hand side. It looks like there are holes cut in it!
errrr.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I was torn, Mara. I liked that one too. But in the end, the CONTRAST of the other one won out!!!
11.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
LG

That one looks like either it was cut by a drunken sailor, or else, the cutter was vision impaired.

win

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think a poll is in order to decide the uglyest frozen spit.
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOOH, these are gorgeous!

Seriously now, I knew a girl back in college with a giant moonstone of a diamond. Pure WHITE and at least a carat to 1.2 carats. It was cut horribly deep, opaque and kind of funky in a odd sort of way, but she was immensely proud of her stone and continually shoved it in our faces because she knew no better.

I guess in some ways it's better not knowing the difference. We all are just too picky here on this forum
9.gif

Michelle

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/13/2004 3:50:59 PM winyan wrote:

LG

That one looks like either it was cut by a drunken sailor, or else, the cutter was vision impaired.

win----------------

LOL! I think that beauty found by Lawgem has my vote for the best piece of "frozen spit" so far
naughty.gif

lara

Rough_Rock
speaking of carbon spots, can a diamond be vs1 if it has one tiny dark speck (carbon spot??) towards the outside edge about 1/3 way down the pavilion? It is visible only with a loupe, no other inclusions.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/13/2004 5:33:20 PM fire&ice wrote:

I think a poll is in order to decide the uglyest frozen spit.
9.gif
----------------

Let's get the vision impaired cutter to compose the poll!!
twirl.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/13/2004 10:42:44 PM lara wrote:

speaking of carbon spots, can a diamond be vs1 if it has one tiny dark speck (carbon spot??) towards the outside edge about 1/3 way down the pavilion? It is visible only with a loupe, no other inclusions.----------------

I'm no grader, but only 1 loupe visible inclusion sounds quite possibly like Very Slightly included to me.

Although they are commonly referred to as "black carbon", dark inclusions can be speck of other gemstones such as garnet. Kinda kewl actually!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the diamond speck can be seen from the side but not the top..yeah that could be VS1. Also depends on the grading lab..some are more lenient than others.
2.gif

I personally do not like black carbon spots in diamonds. White wispy inclusions, sure...but not a fan of the black specks. Too easy for my eye to pick out.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/4/2003 11:50:49 PM derekinla wrote:

It's an H I2 EGL certed stone... here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2676338305&category=10216#ebayphotohosting

The SCARY thing is, there are like 9... YES NINE!! bids on this thing.

If you want to see some real 'doozies,' do an Ebay search for 'diamond I3'----------------

Wow! I did that search and I was appalled. I surprised people actually bid on these things. The thing that bothers me a little is the so-called "appraised value" that they give.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually this same seller a while back, months ago, actually had a stone that looked pretty good. The numbers were very good, not an ideal cut but didn't score badly on HCA with %'s and the pictures looked nice. The images showed what could have been white inclusions but it was pretty darn eye clean and sparkled very well (not like this auction). Was tempting as a pendant and was probably better than maul cut! It went for something like $500 and was a 1.20c or similar G SI3 or something along those lines. I have seen alot of this vendors pictures and 99% of the stones look like the one in that auction....but this ONE looked like it may be worth something. I was intrigued.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondrough is not a retail diamond store. And some of their stuff is by no means run of the mill. Here's what I mean: one and how about these ? There was a fancy purple on that site, but it seems to have disappeared. Their latest catalog did include some more unheard-of colors. If there are buyers there will be sellers and the other way around: for the good, the bad and the ugly, I guess... One thing I know: for whatever their merchandise, all my communication with this shop has received very candide response. There are no e-rings or e-ring diamonds around there though, unless one wants a very uncommon piece.

There are not too many places on the web with a wide selection of what one may get out of a lucky shovel of diamond rough. I would not be surprised to find nice colored stones being sold by the same firm that sells rough of the same type. Not so with diamonds... This site is a weird crossing of the two.

Sorry for the long post, no so inline with the thread. I was kind of surprised to find this shop in line with those strange e-bayers. If the above lines are completely offbeat, than I surely need a good shopping lesson!

zeytoun

Rough_Rock
--If the diamond speck can be seen from the side but not the top..yeah that could be VS1. Also depends on the grading lab..some are more lenient than others. --

According to GIA policy, a small crystal on the pavillion near the girdle not visible from face up even with a loupe or microscope is the only time when a diamond can have a crystal and be given a grade of VVS2. Otherwise, a crystal is automatically VS1 or lower.

just-ice

Rough_Rock
"I won't bother to get permission to post the pics here, but here is a link to a couple of dozen "beauties"...http://www.diamondrough.com/polishedcloseouts/page_poc2a.html

Enjoy!!!

Gary
www.diamondexpert.com

ooooohhhhhh oooooooowwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaa...........my eyes!!!!!!!
14.gif

Ivy

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/5/2003 8:12:04 PM derekinla wrote:

Lawgem,

LMAO!!
1.gif
eek.gif
Why would ANYONE mount that???!@#?@#?
errrr.gif
The first one at least looks 'white' and I can kind of see how an inexperienced newbie might fall for it (after several beers), but the second one boggles the mind. But hey, it's a REAL diamond
2.gif
And did you see that piece of lint under the prong at 10 O'Clock?
wacko.gif
----------------

Why mount it? Why even facet it? Nothing could make it look any better.
cry.gif
Ugh!
errrr.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 12/6/2003 12:17:39 AM Jennifer5973 wrote:

This one is a real winner too. Talk about carbon spots.----------------

Many years ago, about 30 or maybe even forty, back when most of you were not yet born, there was a shyster in Utah who was selling such stones as very rare and expensive Salt and Pepper diamonds. He was getting D-Flawless prices, about 2k per carat retail, (hey, I said it was a LONG time ago!) for stones that at that time were retail valued at less than $100 per carat.

Eventually someone stood up and hollered that the Emperor had not clothes and he left town.

Yeah, so I know many of you kids don't know the story of the Emperor either, but that is the price you pay for being so young. Hehehe!

Wink

P.S. I know that many kids do not know this story because I gave a presentation at a high school a couple of years ago and when I made reference to the Emperor has not clothes no one in the class had a clue what I was talking about. I had to tell them the story and they thought I had come from Mars or somewhere weird where there obviously was no television...

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
I know that story, and I just turned 24, so maybe it is just some of us youngsters...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Then there is intelligent life here? Cool!

Going home now!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results