shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the problem with crystals in Sapphire and Ruby?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a previous post Garry Holloway (Cut Nut) mentioned the problem with crystals in Sapphire and Ruby? What is the problem? I now that sapphires are heated for colour improvement.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it the problem is with heat treating sapphires and rubies as I have found in this article.

This should be in the colored stones section I now realise however it also states that jewellers can have problems with natural unheated sapphires as when repairs are being carried out on jewellery a crystal may expand and cause damage since it has never been heated before. It states that the heat treated sapphires which explode during the heat treat process to improve color would be recut or discarded at the time of the process.

Mmm, maybe we should buy heat treated after all. I don't know though about high quality sapphires maybe they are chosen with no crystals in them to begin with.

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-corundum.htm

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you heat a diamond with a crystal nothing bad happens like it would with most corundum's with xstals.

Re read the previous thread Pyramid
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results