shape
carat
color
clarity

What exactly is a high profile or low profile setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I''ve been in contact with Whiteflash and they told me that the Tiffany Style Knife edge and the Laureato both are 8 mm high. I''ve heard that the Tiffany style is considered low. So, what are the rough definitions of a high and low profile setting?

I hope my question makes sense.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I really surprised that know one knows. I tried to google the definitions, but I found no answers.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a keystone by whiteflash that was very low setting where it sat into a "donut" so I couldn''t see the culet, then I now have a setting that I think is medium where it would sit just above a "donut" I can see the culet, then anything above that I would say it is high, but its subjective and also depends on your stone depth I think. If there is no donut so to speak and is more of a pegged head then I think it is more on the medium side, if that makes sense even though the culet could be set as low as possible. Try some "tiffany" look a like to gauge how you feel about it. My diamond right now sits almost 7.5mm high from the base of the head (to the top of the table) but I don''t have a digital caliper, just using the good ol'' ruler.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Sam82,

I''ve seen a couple of different uses of the term profile.
While we wait for the experts to chime in, I''ll give you my novice take on it.

My definition: Profile height is the distance the set stone including prongs sticks up from the band of the ring. (black lines on diagram).

Other folks: Profile height is determined by how the diamond itself is set in relation to the rest of the ring (eg. distance between the bottom of the diamond and the base of the diamond setting. (blue lines on diagram).

As far as I know, high setting have been used in the past to help compensate for poorly cut diamonds by letting more light in and around the stone to try and combat light leakage. (I think high settings are more likely to catch on things and scratch people). For a well cut diamond setting height is purely asthetic.

Cheers,

HD

454profilehilo1.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe there is an actual definition. As Hopedream's diagrams show, settings vary so much. For me, high profile means that the gemstone sits very high off the finger and shank - great to let in light but bad if you're clumsy because the gemstone is at more risk of being knocked etc.

What's most important is what is comfortable for you. If you're unsure I would definitely try on different height rings to see which you like and what feels safe/comfortable. For example, I have size 6 fingers but they're quite wide. Flatter/lower rings make my fingers look pudgy but higher settings elongate and thin my fingers.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone. Hopedream, those pictures were very helpful. It seems to me that the Tiffany style should be considered medium-low.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results