shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this I1 diamond from JA?

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
I'm am about to pull the trigger on this diamond from James Allen. I'm on a tight budget and the price allows me to get the setting I want. I really don't want to go any smaller than 1/2 carat. I need expert advice. What do you think? I don't necessarily need a colorless diamond although I am color sensitive and tend to be drawn to whiter stones but this one happened to have a nice price tag.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Radiant-cut/0.56-carat-F-color-I1-clarity-sku-163204

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that attractive. What is your very tight budget, 1000? Less? What shapes do you like?

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1359568299|3367422 said:
Not that attractive. What is your very tight budget, 1000? Less? What shapes do you like?

Well I'd like to pay $1000 for the whole ring. The setting I like is $345... They have a knife edge setting for less but I don't like knife edge for me.

As far as shapes it's been a long journey. I've basically tried all of them and the last one left is rectangular radiant. I want a nice rectangular ratio of 1.30-1.35. I do love all the shapes so it's difficult but after trying many rings a lot of the shapes I really love aren't right for me. I tend to be very erratic with stone shape. One thing is for sure I am a non-round girl 100% (nothing wrong with them just not for me)...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The inclusions in that would bug me to death.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i said it before but i do think its worth contacting ID jewelry. they can work a budget like you wouldnt believe. Tell them you want a solitiare like (whatever you want), .5 ct radient with that ratio and see what they can do for 1k. Relly worth a call ive seen them get someone a .5 halo for 1.5 i think they could do this for you

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would want to buy from someone with an upgrade policy. Because you may want to increase the size or quality of your stone over time and one with an easy upgrade policy will be best. You might ask IDJ about that.

And I'd rather have a nice .30 stone over a .50 I1 stone any day.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I've read that radiant stones are better at hiding imperfections than other cuts. The stone you choose could be fine, especially since it's not very large. You can have JA confirm for you whether or not it's eye clean.

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1359570498|3367466 said:
I would want to buy from someone with an upgrade policy. Because you may want to increase the size or quality of your stone over time and one with an easy upgrade policy will be best. You might ask IDJ about that.

And I'd rather have a nice .30 stone over a .50 I1 stone any day.

Good point about the upgrade. If I got a near perfect stone that's .30 it would bug me more than the feather in that diamond. My hands are so stubby it would make dinner of that diamond. :/

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1359573218|3367513 said:
I've read that radiant stones are better at hiding imperfections than other cuts. The stone you choose could be fine, especially since it's not very large. You can have JA confirm for you whether or not it's eye clean.

I just contacted them and they said the feather in that diamond will be well hidden but at certain angles or even face up it will be able to be seen. Now I feel stuck. I really don't want to run around like a chicken with my head cut off for a diamond ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JustLove25|1359575093|3367550 said:

I just contacted them and they said the feather in that diamond will be well hidden but at certain angles or even face up it will be able to be seen. Now I feel stuck. I really don't want to run around like a chicken with my head cut off for a diamond ring.

IDJewelry

doesnt cost anything to contact them and they will work hard for your business im sure they could help!

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1359575262|3367553 said:

IDJewelry

doesnt cost anything to contact them and they will work hard for your business im sure they could help!

Will do thank you!

**Okay just called them. They said all of their diamonds are online. The cheapest one I found is a .50 E I1 and it has more inclusions listed on the certificate and is more expensive than the one I already chose. They didn't seem open to looking for anything else for me. **

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered princesses? As the second most popular cut, there is going to be many more options in your price range.

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1359576664|3367579 said:
Have you considered princesses? As the second most popular cut, there is going to be many more options in your price range.

My ring from my first marriage was a princess so definitely a no-go. Sorry I'm so complicated! :confused:

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think JA has more stock than shows on the new website. I know that I have stones bookmarked that no longer show up in their searches. It might be worth a chat/call with them to see if they can dig out anything else for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JustLove25|1359576109|3367570 said:

IDJewelry

Will do thank you!

**Okay just called them. They said all of their diamonds are online. The cheapest one I found is a .50 E I1 and it has more inclusions listed on the certificate and is more expensive than the one I already chose. They didn't seem open to looking for anything else for me. **
Wow im sorry ive heard so many good things and they drop the ball :( :( :(

My next stop would be goid old gold. They dont keep a lot on there site but theyll pull some for you

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
mercoledi|1359577017|3367587 said:
I think JA has more stock than shows on the new website. I know that I have stones bookmarked that no longer show up in their searches. It might be worth a chat/call with them to see if they can dig out anything else for you.

Hmm that's worth a shot. :) Thanks!

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1359577067|3367591 said:
JustLove25|1359576109|3367570 said:

IDJewelry

Will do thank you!

Wow im sorry ive heard so many good things and they drop the ball :( :( :(

My next stop would be goid old gold. They dont keep a lot on there site but theyll pull some for you

It happens! I already contacted GOG so maybe they'll be more helpful? They're settings are crazy though... $500 for a simple 4 prong setting in 14K? WOW

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if you've already talked about this before, but would you consider a colorless stone that isn't a diamond? Or does it have to be a diamond?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I have two fancies from GOG that I've been watching. These are close to your budget, but maybe they'd have a basic setting that would help.

Fat little pear (with a biiiig table) http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5590/
Ocatagon radiant http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9756/

ETA: just saw your note on GOG settings, that's crazy! Maybe you can find a cheap one elsewhere and just pay the setting fee? I actually just sold a 14kwg setting that would have fit the octagon for under $100, so they can be gotten (although if I still had that one I'd just give it to you so you can have your ring already! This is excruciating watching another PSer suffer!).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have access to lots of settings at gog. Probably dont post it on there site but I'd bet they have access to a cheaper setting. I'd just ask

Good find on that heart!
I still like the k heart I posted on the other thread from ja. It looked so bright

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1359577378|3367601 said:
Sorry if you've already talked about this before, but would you consider a colorless stone that isn't a diamond? Or does it have to be a diamond?

I've considered everything at this point. But I know in my heart I want a diamond. I'm just so traditional in some ways.. that being one. I was very close to ordering a wink CZ though...

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
mercoledi|1359577591|3367606 said:
Ooh, I have two fancies from GOG that I've been watching. These are close to your budget, but maybe they'd have a basic setting that would help.

ETA: just saw your note on GOG settings, that's crazy! Maybe you can find a cheap one elsewhere and just pay the setting fee? I actually just sold a 14kwg setting that would have fit the octagon for under $100, so they can be gotten (although if I still had that one I'd just give it to you so you can have your ring already! This is excruciating watching another PSer suffer!).

I like that octagon cut! But it will look like a round to me once set. If I went with them I would definitely get the setting elsewhere.
They actually just sent me a quote for some stones and I'm not blown away.

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1359577919|3367612 said:
I saw you were looking for a heart-shaped stone before. Would you consider this pre-loved set?

http://www.idonowidont.com/diamonds/heart-shaped-diamond-engagement-ring-56-carat-bonus-wedding-band

That is hilarious you sent me that! I actually saw that set on Ebay but the seller won't go any lower than $1,000. For that price I'd rather get a new one. 1/2 carat hearts sell for like $450-$500 on Ebay! Sometimes less. But my problem in the past has been getting a lot of used rings and easily disposing of them. I think the best thing for me is to get something new so I could grow attached to it.

Thank you so much. It is a pretty heart though.

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1359578542|3367621 said:
They have access to lots of settings at gog. Probably dont post it on there site but I'd bet they have access to a cheaper setting. I'd just ask

Good find on that heart!
I still like the k heart I posted on the other thread from ja. It looked so bright

That is the price the quoted me over the phone for a setting so I'm not sure?? Those heart K's are pretty. But Since they cost more it would make it difficult to get the setting I want. I wish their least expensive setting wasn't knife edge.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
JustLove25|1359578653|3367636 said:

I like that octagon cut! But it will look like a round to me once set. If I went with them I would definitely get the setting elsewhere.

If it's prong set you may well lose the octagonal shape. I was thinking of a bezel for it. Are you dedicated to 14k wg, or would you maybe consider argentium silver for the time being? DanielM on etsy just did a bunch of bezels for me and they are just perfect. I just love that the megascope on the octagon puts it off the charts for fire.

JustLove25

Rough_Rock
mercoledi|1359579139|3367690 said:
JustLove25|1359578653|3367636 said:

If it's prong set you may well lose the octagonal shape. I was thinking of a bezel for it. Are you dedicated to 14k wg, or would you maybe consider argentium silver for the time being? DanielM on etsy just did a bunch of bezels for me and they are just perfect. I just love that the megascope on the octagon puts it off the charts for fire.

Thanks for being so nice! :) I've had wg settings I wish I'd kept... Oh well!

As far as prong set yeah' I think that would be the best for me. I really love bezels but for me personally it doesn't say "engagement" ring. I kind of don't want to have to worry about the setting and maybe just upgrade the diamond later on if anything. UH this sucks. I wish I went back to how I used to be years ago not knowing about diamonds because I would fall in love with anything and that would be the end of it! LOL :roll:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i was just thinking the same thing! silver!... at least for the time being (sense you think youll change it up so often anyways)
Also, had you considered a trillion. if you could get a 50point trillion you could bezel it sideways and it would looks so different and pretty.

go over to the preloved section see if you can get a cheap setting off of it. "WTB simple solitaire 100$" or something

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results