shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about a MRB with CA of 36 and PA of 40.6?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm shopping for an up-grade and I have come across a MRB that I think could be very interesting. I know I would like a bit more fire than my current stone, but I don't want to compromise brilliance. This falls within the FIC range, scores an 1.8 on HCA. I do NOT have IS/ASET images. Will have to buy the stone first and use myself, which I'm very tempted to do (30 day return policy).

Wondering if this could be a rockin' stone?! Yes, I know the CA is totally steep…..

Here are the specs:

2.50 ct, H, VS1
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.1%
CA: 36 deg
PA: 40.6 deg
LGF: 80%
Girdle: 3%
Star length: 50%

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What do you think about a MRB with CA of 36 and PA of 40

Thoughts anyone? Opinions welcome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This would be a stone that I would not buy without an ASET image. All I can tell you is that I have seen a number of stones close to these measurements on a particular website that has the images, and all of the ones I saw with a crown angle that high had leakage. If the crown angle was closer to 35, it might be better. But there is no way to know without the images.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi op, I think my stone has similar issues but even worse thaN yours by numbers, dreaded 41.0 pa. Although the IS on mine does show some leakage, the appraiser confidently said, not significant. It appears to have a more contrasty appearance which I like and it shows a lot of fire, at least to my eyes when lighting is conducive. mine is also ags0, fwiw. If the price is right, try it and have appraised by someone who can provide is and aset images.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing your thoughts DS and Luv.

Luv: Do you notice the leakage yourself? If so, all the time or in certain environments? And in what type of lighting does your stone show the most fire?

I'm totally torn. I'm thinking of buying an IS to use myself on it. Price is okay, I'm interested in it as an up-grade through my original stone's vendor. What I really want is an ACA from WF! I could do a trade-in with WF but would lose substantial amounts, more of a mental thing as it's probably in the ball park of what I would get selling on my own. What to do, what to do…. Wish I could see it without buying it first! I will get free shipping both ways and 30 return so it's not too bad.

I read that with a steep CA, a shallower PA can often be complimentary especially with an LGF of 80% and so that's why this stone is really interesting to me.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi op, I'm happy with my stone 98% of the time with its specific set of specs in almost all lighting conditions. Once in awhile, in very specific lit conditions I do think I see the possible leakage. But I have to really focus and hold at a certain angle, that would hardly be considered normal viewing conditions. So, I just don't focus on that, it's a part of learning and living with my diamond. I see fire generally in environments that have many light sources like the grocery store or most retailers, and elevators or lobbies. It's crazy fun and makes my stone look like a colorful headlight and so big! Hope this helps. Mine is a J color si2, btw, and white to me and eye clean.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks so much Luv, that's really helpful! Thinking of purchasing and using my own IS on it. Should be interesting as it's soo different than my current stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JDDN|1432763826|3881977 said:
I read that with a steep CA, a shallower PA can often be complimentary especially with an LGF of 80% and so that's why this stone is really interesting to me.
Indeed an interesting stone. I'd love to see this stone IRL.. :wink2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Which grading report does it have?
GIA rounds the numbers pretty badly.
That basic combo can work very well but depends on the specifics that the numbers don't tell you.
Here is what an ASET of those numbers can look like if everything is perfect and the numbers accurate.
It is also an AGS0 candidate.
Diamcalc also predicts brightness in the same range of any other very well cut diamond.

3640655t80.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

*my personal opinion*
I have seen diamonds with similar specs and spent some time with one of them and liked it a lot.
But like I said above it all depends on the specifics of that particular diamond.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for chiming in Karl. It's a GIA stone, so yes the rounding could definitely be an issue. In my mind it's either glorious or a dud, although I know there is a big in between those extremes!

Interesting ASET. Looks like there is less light return in a symmetric ring under the table. What would that look like in real life? Would it be noticeable?

@Dancing Fire - I'm dying to see it so I'm moving forward with it (with a solid return policy). I'm taking a gamble given GIA's rounding but I'll always wonder if I missed out on an exceptional stone!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

JDDN|1432876392|3882578 said:
Thank you for chiming in Karl. It's a GIA stone, so yes the rounding could definitely be an issue. In my mind it's either glorious or a dud, although I know there is a big in between those extremes!

Interesting ASET. Looks like there is less light return in a symmetric ring under the table. What would that look like in real life? Would it be noticeable?
Under table brightness of the model is in the same range as other ideal cut combinations.
A weakness of ASET is it shows a large difference in color for very light draw angle change.
For example in the real world and light angle draw of 43(green) degrees and 47(red) degrees is not going to make any difference yet ASET treats it the same as the difference from 2(green) degree and 73(red) degrees which will make a difference. (real ASET images have less resolution than virtual images based on a perfect model so its anyone's guess how that would play out in actual ASET images due to girdle plane height differences in the scope when comparing 43 and 47 but in theory anyway......)

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Karl for your insights! I am always curious when these types of angles come up in PS threads.

JDDN - My 3.25 ct diamond has similar measurements but with a 56 table and 62.4 depth. I didn’t have the vendor do any images (although I could have), but I did pick it out in person. I was shown 5 diamonds all with HCA<2 within my specs (can’t remember all the other measurements) and this one drew me in. The vendor noted the high crown but said the angles really worked for this diamond and it was his favorite as well. I never notice leakage but I am definitely not an expert!!!

Now in hindsight, I wish I would have gotten images just so I knew for sure (peace of mind). I do believe my stone would image well though. I also wish I would have spent more time evaluating top of the line diamonds to see if it was worth the premium to me. It might not have changed anything though because we had a budget and had to balance all the Cs with it.

Of course, I am just sharing my experience and the angle combination you are looking at is a little different than mine. As I am sure you know, you could probably find an appraiser that will have the tools to look for leakage. Good luck! I look forward to an update on the diamond once you receive it!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi op, I'm glad u are going for it. I'd be surprised if u were disappointed. While in your return period, do have it appraised thoroughly. Hopefully someone who can do reflector images for u, but it's not altogether necessary, it might only confuse u. A little leakage isn't always a problem and sometimes be a nice characteristic, like with the Octavia where a little leakage is on purpose to make the stone appear brighter than without the leakage. Of course every stone must be analyzed on its own and rounds are different than octavias.

Again, if the price is competitive or even better than similar stones, then I think the specs are being taken into consideration and you're getting a similar looking, performing stone for a better price. Bravo.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you again Karl for that explanation. Fascinating about the light draw angle change in the ASET.

@Tweeter: Thank you for your insights. I think it's a great testament to your diamond's beauty that you picked it out among five others. And btw, I loooove your three stone with pear side stones. It's one of my all time favorites and yours is stunning.

@Luv: What drew me in was the combination of angles on this stone. I was looking for a very traditional TIC and when I saw this one, I couldn't but wonder what the angle combination would look like and I just have to know! My hope is that it has a unique fiery personality :). My current stone has a large table, shallow CA and a steepish PA, so it faces up bright but doesn't have much in the way of flashes of color or fire.

I will up-date when it arrives!

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock

Hi op, sounds great. I also see fire on sunny days under a leafy tree. The leaves break up the direct sunlight into tons of light sources for your diamond to do its thing!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The way you describe dispersed sunlight coming through leaves sounds so beautiful Luv! I bet your stone is gorgeous :razz: .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results