shape
carat
color
clarity

were we fooled???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
My Fiance and I just picked up our wedding rings made my a close friend of his dad''s girlfriend. My ring is an eternity band that is platinum however there is no stamp on the ring to indicate this. My fiance''s ring is a handmade platinum band with milligrain edges. We came home and examined his ring and realized it said "750" inside. Isn''t 750 18k gold and not platinum? Also..has anyone ever heard of a plat eternity band with no stamp to indicate this on the inside? Please help...wedding in 3 days and we are very upset!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does his feel heavy? That''s your first indication of Plat over gold. Plat is very heavy.

My eternity band had no stamp, there was nowhere to put a stamp even if they wanted to stamp it. I could tell it was plat based on the color of the metal. Id call and ask the guy you bought from about this. Maybe he got confused?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 10:02:44 PM
Author:JessesGrl

My ring is an eternity band that is platinum however there is no stamp on the ring to indicate this. My fiance''s ring is a handmade platinum band with milligrain edges. We came home and examined his ring and realized it said ''750'' inside. Isn''t 750 18k gold and not platinum? Also..has anyone ever heard of a plat eternity band with no stamp to indicate this on the inside?

750 means 18 karat. Compare the color, finish and heft of yours versus his to get an idea if yours is platinum.

I''d make your questions known to the jeweler, go ahead and use the rings to get married with and then straighten it all out after your honeymoon.

Unless of course the jeweler has platinum rings in stock.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My ering setting, which was made by the small mom & pop store where we bought it, originally didn''t have the plat stamp either. It was tested by Martin Fuller to indeed be plat, and you could tell anyways by the weightiness of it. They later put the stamp on for me.

750 is definitely 18k gold stamping. Perhaps they got confused. I would definitely talk to them.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was under the impression that all jewelry had to be stamped with the correct metal and content. There should also be a hallmark. Any metal smiths care to chime in?

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible that the ring is not well stamped and that the first digit is really a 9 instead of a 7? That would indicate that the ring is 950 platinum if that is the case. The reason that I mention this is that 18k gold is usually stamped as 18k in the US while in Europe the 750 mark is used.

Just a thought . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results