shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Bands

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
In the not too distant future we are going to get wedding bands. We have decided on the plain, platinum, half round, comfort fit band.
1. The width is straight forward (2mm, 3mm, 4mm, etc), but thickness varies. Can anyone shed light on thickness and does it matter?
2. The rings are 95% plat, the other 5% is either Iridium or Ruthenium. Does it make a difference or matter on this other alloy?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The best thing is to go and try on different rings & size mm bands. She is going to have a harder time b/c she has to match the ering. I can't remember. Was the e-ring a stock piece. Often they have complimentary wedding bands. Also, your style doesn't have to be her style. Case in point, my hubby just wanted something comfortable. Artcarved had just come out w/ a rounded comfort fit band. He tried it on. That was it. If I was going to *make* him wear a ring everyday, it better be one that fits like a glove.
wink2.gif
9.gif
In my day, it was just starting to become the norm that men wore wedding rings. Alot has changed in 20 years.

Good luck.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hey Baltneu - The thickness of the band will vary proportionally with width, generally, and then depend on the style of the band and the maker. So, it is variable! I have been trying to guage platinum weights, myself, without much luck.

SNG Gems www.sndgems.com has a good primer on platinum. It explains the 950 PL / 50 iridium alloy. Yes, there are other alloys available with platinum and they are well-described in that site. Platinum is not found in pure form and must be refined for purity - thus, it is difficult to acheive a totally pure metal - and harder to work with in metallurgy. Iridium is often the alloy of choice in the jewlery industry for its anticorrosion properties. Very good when we get it wet all day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results